Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
So the question is simple, what mountain bike rack do youuse and why? If you have more than one, which ones and what do you think aretheir pros and cons? P.S. For some reason my enter key is working so I can't add space in-between lines, anyone know why?

·
Registered
61 Posts
On my 09 Nissan Rogue I have a Thule T2 and it is in my option the best most solid rack on the market. The only negative is that it is heavy so taking it on and off is a bit of a pain in the a$$. Everything else about it is great.

On my finances 12 Nissan Frontier we have a Thule Bed Rider and it works great. Taking the tires on and off is a bit of a pain. Other then that it is a great rack.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Kuat NV...Simply an awesome rack. Solid, vibration free, and bling. Their customer service is second to none as well. Last hitch mount you'll ever need. Spare parts can cover any mishap you may have, and conversion from 2 to 4 bikes is uber simple.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
There is a bike rack section here on these forums just so you know.
Where? in the Forums or in the Review section?

Asking "best" rack is like asking which suspension design is best, you will get a lot of opinions and most contradicting each other and most correct for their own situations. I prefer hitch mounts that hold the tires, like the T2 and Kuat mentioned above. The t2 is probably the best buy and the ability to stagger the trays make it easier to load 2 bikes without having to lower a seat on one or both bikes. I personally use a 1UPUSA.com :: Home

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Where? in the Forums or in the Review section?

Asking "best" rack is like asking which suspension design is best, you will get a lot of opinions and most contradicting each other and most correct for their own situations. I prefer hitch mounts that hold the tires, like the T2 and Kuat mentioned above. The t2 is probably the best buy and the ability to stagger the trays make it easier to load 2 bikes without having to lower a seat on one or both bikes. I personally use a 1UPUSA.com :: Home
Yup. The car will have some input in to the type of rack as well. On my Subaru wagon I used Subaru (Yakima round) bars with steelhead or viper trays over 8 years or so of time. They were pretty solid for my needs. Now I have a truck with the track system in the bed and use a totally different method. And my truck has the tow package so I could also do a hitch mount.

·
RideDirt
2,253 Posts
Yes here on the forums , the section called Car and Biker . Plenty of threads with input there , i also have the 1up rack myself .

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Thule T2 on my truck. Kuat NV on my wife's car. I prefer the heavy duty feel and construction of the T2. The Kuat is nice though and I would not pass up another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My favorite rack is putting the back seats down on my Nissan Murano and laying the bike down in the back without having to take the front wheel off. It is fast, free, fairly theft-proof and protects the bike from the elements.
Otherwise I use a cheapish Thule Parkway hitch rack which hangs up to two bikes. I know hitch racks that support the wheels are better for the bikes but they are very expensive and more fragile. For my steel and AL bikes my rack works fine. I don't like using it for my carbon road bike. The rack weighs about 25 lbs and is built like a tank.
Whether you go for an expensive or cheap hitch rack I recommend using a 2" hitch and not a 1.25" receiver if possible. 2" receivers are much more heavy duty and the rack will wobble much less. Of course a 2" receiver looks a bit funny on a small car and is better suited for a SUV.
I have never owned a roof-top rack but since I have a garage I never will. I know that sooner or later I'd drive into the garage with the bike on top.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,451 Posts
I have a couple Thule Sidearms on the roof of my Honda Fit. My wife's got a Subaru XV Crosstrek on order and once we get it, I think we're going to change our bike hauling system a bit. Get hitches for both cars and move to a 2 bike hitch rack. I really want a Kuat NV. I'd keep the Sidearms for when we have friends along and need to add more bikes, but I want to be able to use the roof racks for boats almost exclusively.

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
Can't beat the Thule T2 if your car has a hitch.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I use and love my seasuckers mini bomber. I have even used it when I travel with my back to use it with the rental car. Just pack it up and use it with any car. I used to own Thule racks and Yakima racks and ill never go back.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I looked at Kuat, Thule and a couple similar ones for my hitch. I ended up with a Saris Thelma because of the light weight. I take my rack off when it is not in use.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Put a hitch receiver on my '12 Veloster and use whatever rack WalMart had on the shelf.....bike hasn't found the highway yet....it works.

·
Your Best Friend
5,301 Posts
I have a Subaru XV Crosstrek with 3 Thule 954xt sidearms on the roof. I also have a Thule T2 (either 2 or 4 place) hitch rack. I even have a 5x8 utility trailer with 6 fork mounts for when I'm coaching the high school mtb team.

Roof racks keep the bikes the safest and cleanest. Hitch racks are by far the easiest but if the road is wet/nasty or dusty, your bike will soon be nasty as well. Fork mounts are a pita and often require fairly expensive adapters. They are the cheapest option if you have a place to mount them.

Whatever you choose, if you have a carbon bike or plan on carrying a friends carbon bike, you need a rack that does not touch the frame in any way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts