Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for any help anyone is willing to provide. I am looking to spend under $1000 on a new fs bike. The best I have been able to come up with seem to be one of these 3.
I am 6'4" and weigh 195. Any recommedations on frame size? If you have other bike ideas under a $1000 I would be more than happy to look into those ideas.

1.) Motobecane Fantom Trail Ds $799

Frame TripleActive 4B, 3"/4"/5" Travel - Four Bar Rocker Arm. Gussetted SL 7005 Aluminum (Disc Brake Equipped) SuperSmooth Sealed Cartridge Bearings at critical pivots, replaceable rear derailleur hanger
Fork/Rear Shock RockShox DART3 ADJUSTABLE REBOUND (120MM) TurnKey LOCKOUT / KS AXIS CoilOver with LOCKOUT
Crankset FSA Dyna-Drive 22/32/44T
Bottom Bracket FSA Powerdrive BB-8420 Sealed Bearing
Pedals FREE Gravity DualStage Clipless/Platform
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur Shimano LX long cage
Shifters Shimano Deore Rapid Fire 27 speed trigger shift
Cassette/Freewheel Shimano HG cassette 9 speed 11-32T
Chain Z9000 super narrow 9 speed
Hubs Gravity Sealed Bearing for Disc with Quick Release
Spokes Double Butted Stainless steel
Rims WTB SpeedDisc doublewall aluminum
Tires/Tubes Panaracer FireXC PRO 26x2.1 / Presta Valve
Brakes Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc front and rear, 160mm rotor
Brake Levers Avid FR5 for Disc brakes
Headset Ritchey Sealed Bearing threadless 1 1/8 inch
Handlebar Ritchey Rizer SC Butted Aluminum 6061 T6
Stem Ritchey Comp Aluminum threadless
Tape/Grip WTB DualCompound
Saddle WTB SpeedV
Seat Post Ritchey Comp Mountain 31.6mm aluminum
Seat Post Clamp Super Light Aluminum
Sizes Small/42c fits up to 5'8", Medium/47c fits up to 6', Large/52c fits 6'1" and taller

2.) Iron horse warrior 6.0 $899

Frame: 5" TRAVEL TRAIL DUAL SUSPENSION, SINGLE PIVOT W/ SEALED BEARINGS, 1-1/8" ZERO STACK HEADTUBE, REPLACEABLE DERAILLEUR HANGER, INTERNATIONAL DISC BRAKE MOUNT
Fork: ROCK SHOX TORA 289, U-TURN 85MM-130MM TRAVEL
Rear Shock: SR/SUNTOUR RS-8 EPICON AIR, 7.5"X2"
Front Derailleur: SUN RACE FDM90, 34.9MM CLAMP
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.5 TRIGGER
Shifters: SRAM X.5 TRIGGER
Brakes Levers: HAYES STROKER RYDE
Brakes: HAYES STROKER RYDE (Hyrdaulic)
Chain: KMC Z72
Crankset: FSA ALPHA DRIVE, 15-17"=170MM, 19-21"=175MM
Cassette: SRAM PG-850, 11/34T, 8 SPEED
Pedals: CRANK BROTHERS CANDY CLIPLESS BLACK/GREY
Bottom Bracket: FSA POWER DRIVE, 73X113MM
Headset: NO 10, ZEROSTACK
Saddle: WTB PURE V SPORT
Seat Post: EASTON EA30, 30.0MM
Handlebar: EASTON EA30, LOW RISE, 685MM, 31.8MM CLAMP
Grips: VELO VLG-311 125MM, BLACK KRATON
Stem: EASTON EA30, 31.8MM CLAMP
Tires: WTB WEIRWOLF, 2.35" FRONT/2.1" REAR
Wheelset: WTB SX24, 32H/ALLOY DISC, 32H
Weight: 34.72 (17")
Color: WHITE SATIN

3.) Iron Horse Sachem 4.0 (All Mountain) $849

Frame: 6" TRAVEL ALL MOUNTAIN DUAL SUSPENSION, SINGLE PIVOT W/ SEALED BEARINGS, 1-1/8" ZERO STACK HEADTUBE, REPLACEABLE DERAILLEUR HANGER, INTERNATIONAL DISC BRAKE MOUNT
Fork: MARZOCCHI Z.1 SPORT, 160MM TRAVEL
Rear Shock: FOX VANILLA R 7.875"X2.25"
Front Derailleur: SUN RACE FD, 34.9MM CLAMP
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.5
Shifters: SRAM X.5 TRIGGER
Brakes Levers: HAYES STROKER RIDE
Brakes: HAYES STROKER RIDE
Chain: KMC Z72
Crankset: FSA DYNA DRIVE, 170MM
Cassette: SRAM PG-830, 11-32T, 8 SPEED
Pedals:
Bottom Bracket: FSA POWER DRIVE, 73X118MM
Headset: NO 10, ZEROSTACK
Saddle: WTB PURE-V SPORT
Seat Post: ALLOY, 30.0MM
Handlebar: ALLOY RISER, 31.8MM CLAMP
Grips: BLACK GRIPS
Stem: ALLOY ALL MTN, 31.8MM CLAMP
Tires: WTB PROWLER XT, 2.3" FRONT & REAR
Wheelset: WTB DUAL DUTY FR, 32H/ALLOY DISC, 32H
Weight: 37.9 LBS (17")
Color: BLACK

Thx again for any help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Something I forgot to post here.
I am a begginer, looking to advance into semi extreme. At the moment I am happy to have a decent bike so long as I can upgrade it as time goes by. Really, I suppose as long as the frame is pretty good, I can slowly upgrade the other stuff.

·
Pin it to win it
486 Posts
First off... for a beginner wanting to spend less then $1000... get a hardtail. For less then 1k any FS bike is going to be really heavy and have pretty low end parts. A hardtail in the same range... you could get a beefy one with a 5 inch travel fork at a much much lower price point.

That being said, out of what you have listed, the Iron Horse Warrior definitely looks the best. The second Iron Horse bike weighs more then some DH bikes... definitely not what you want when you are looking to start out. Between the Motobecane and the IH... the Tora is much better then the Dart. It has hydraulic brakes instead of mechanical, air rear shock instead of cheap coil, and about equal in the other parts.

Also, don't be fooled by the whole "I'll just buy it now and upgrade later". Because of the deals that companies can get from other companies... you get a huge discount on parts when you buy the whole bike. Usually it will end up being cheaper to buy a whole new bike then to upgrade just a few parts.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Iron Horse is in bankruptcy. You should ask a lot of questions of the seller with regard to the warranty (or lack thereof) prior to purchasing an Iron Horse bike.

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
Didn't the Yukon FX get good reviews? or a used bike, which is probably a better bet

·
Registered
896 Posts
You should consider the IH MK3 trail for 999.00. It utilizes the DW link rear suspension design. It is by far one of the top suspension designs ever made. Do some research on this forum about it and for under a grand you can get it on an entry level IH. Every thing else you mentioned are all single piviot suspension designs which are out dated interms of peddling efficiancy. I bought my wife a MK3 comp from RS, great bike, no regrets.

DW all the way

David

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
The Iron Horse MkIII is indeed a good bike. I have one and love it. But it's worth spending a few minutes browsing the Iron Horse forum first because some MkIII owners have had problems with cracked swingarms.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I looked at the Giant Yukon FX this weekend.....just to compare it to the Trance X. No comparison to me as far as the $$ is concerned.

Yukon FX was extremely heavy. I would try to find a used Trance (non X) before the Yukon FX.

I was going to mention the IBEX options. I dont know much about them though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For that price, you can buy a good quality hardtail that will be at least 6 or 7 pounds lighter and outperform any of those bikes. If you really want a FS bike, save up a little more for something that is good quality or buy one used.

Take a look at a Trek 6000 or Giant XTC 2. Both are much, much lighter than the bikes you mention and pushing an extra 10 pounds of FS bike up the hill over a 2 hour climb makes a massive difference.

I'd be willing to bet that the low quality rear shocks on those bikes are no upgrade from a good hardtail design anyway.

·
Registered
366 Posts
RS cycle is liquidating all iron horse products that they have. I bought a warrior 6.0 and it is a great bike. But i also only paid $520 for it from my lbs.

Appearently if you buy from RS they fully warranty the IH products they sell. BUT when and if IH gets bought out then you might be out of luck. Id wait and see what happens before jumping the gun on one. I only bought mine because i couldnt pass up the deal i got for it.

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
I so knew that thread was going to come up....
That was the first thread I ever read here at MTBR.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have no personal experience with RS Cycle, and IH bikes may be the greatest bikes in the world, I'd just have a problem giving that guy my money.

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
yeah after i read that thread I knew I was never gonna buy an IH or from RS Cycle. What's going on with that anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts