Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide what bike I should get for my dad. He will be using it for riding to work and also for doing some xc. He is just getting into mountain biking so he doesn't need anything to fancy, just something that will get the job done. The most I am looking to spend is $500. What bikes would be good?

·
Registered
20 Posts
j_c_s4 said:
I am trying to decide what bike I should get for my dad. He will be using it for riding to work and also for doing some xc. He is just getting into mountain biking so he doesn't need anything to fancy, just something that will get the job done. The most I am looking to spend is $500. What bikes would be good?
You shouldn't have any trouble finding a commuter that can do a little xc. I just bought a bike with the same requirements. I narrowed my choices to Ibex B-27 RSR (which is the one I chose) and Gary Fisher Marlin. Basically, my choice came down to the bike shop who I didn't trust to service my bike well. -- That and the fact that the Ibex is a very slick-looking bike. (http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/B-27-RSR-Details.html)

I like that Ibex because it's configured for street riding but in the 2 weeks I've had it, it can handle some reasonable (by my standards) trail riding. It's $600. YOu won't have trouble finding a good fit at $500 if you have a good bike shop around. Trek, Giant, etc . . . all make bikes in that range that will be great for commuting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.