Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is kind a survey. For those of you that are fairly competitive, what bike do you all use in endurance events? I'm switching from XC racing to endurance events and am deciding on a bike. My top pics are a Turner Flux or a Titus Moto-Lite. My goal is to be competitive, not "just finish". If some of you all could tell me what frame and fork you're using, I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I use a...

I ride a Titus Racer-X (80mm) with a Fox Float RLC (80mm) on the front. The bike is perfectly ballanced and just flys like a rocket out on the coruse. I have only used it for one race and a few trail rides and already I love it- it's perfect.

I am soon to change the forks to Fox F80RLT's as my Floats are getting abit old. Note the lack of Pedal Platfrom damping... The Racer-X is a very active bike, I have it set up pretty stiff both front and rear, but I much prefer a fully active bike front and rear.

K-Man had a thread on the Turner Flux vs The Titus Racer-X. It's not a MotoLite, but it will give you an idea on the preformance of the Flux. OF course this thread is very oppiniative so dont take it as gosble. I'd recomend testing out both the Flux and The Motolite if you can.

Check out: Flux vs Racer X

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Not a ton of travel

The Cannondale Scalpel has been great for me. I bought it as a frame and fork and went to work from there. It has been my race bike as well as one of my more consistent off road bikes, the only changes I make are usually tire related between race day and normal riding. It has served me well for a couple of years now, no issues whatsoever. I did one 24, 4-12's, 2-8's on it this year as well as a few short cross country races, all podiums, last year was about the same. It now has over 8000 hard miles on it and all I have done is replace the normal wear items. It is not stupid light, but is a pretty respectable 22lbs 6 oz.
I have a few Cannondales and like the fact that they all handle pretty much the same, hardtail, single speed, full suspension, they are all pretty much set up the same and require about the same attention to keep them upright. There are so many nice bikes out there that it will be hard to choose, but hey, who can complain about getting a new bike!

Good luck in the coming year!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Sorry

You were looking for frame and FORK. The scalpel has a carbon Lefty, nothing I have ever ridden compares to the fork. It has some maintenance issues with the bearing migration, I have the tools to fix it so it's not a big deal. The new ones have taken care of the problem slightly by not requiring any custom tools. Still a really nice fork and not any more work than keeping up a regular fork.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
I'm still too young to really compete solo in endurance events, but love my racing and love my enduro's even more.

I was a hardtail person till i recently got a good deal on a NRS composite. I must say, although it is an awesome bike, the design does seem rather pointless to me in many ways, especially with all the new rear shock technologies that resist pedal bob. IMO, the NRS is a very nice bike, but has seriuos flaws, some places where a dually come in handy are rough climbs/flats, where pedalling over them seated and relying on your suspension to keep you in saddle counts, the NRS acts like a hardtail in these situation. Also, when heavy on the brakes, the suspension tops out again and your left with a hardtail like bike.

Yes, it's a fast bike and fun to ride, but i still feel that you would probably just be better off with something like a Ti hardtail.

With that all being said, i'm dieing to try out the new Giant Anthem which seems like a very sweet bike. If funds weren't so limited, i would probably be riding a RacerX or a Turner Flux, as these just seem like perfect bikes.

As for forks, i am very happy with my Fox 100RLT (converted to 80mm).

·
Registered
582 Posts
I love my bikes!!!

Ive raced 3 bikes this year and loved them all for differnt reasons. I started the year on an Intense tracer. You''l never find a better cross country trail bike. I only switched to the next bike for suspension tightness and pedaling efficiency. The next was an Intense spider. This bike is a 4 in travel rocket ship and I will race this bike next year for sure. Intense makes some of the best quality bikes ive every ridden. The quality and workmanship are the best and the customer service can't be beat. My third race bike is my Gary Fisher Ziggurat singlespeed. I ride this bike more than any other. It weighs about 18 lbs and is very dependable. I love the genesis geometry and the carbon seat and chain stays. This bike can do everything without mechanical problems and with alot of style! For forks I use a Manitou R7 on my spider and a Skareb on my ziggy.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
RANOACLAN said:
Ive raced 3 bikes this year and loved them all for differnt reasons. I started the year on an Intense tracer. You''l never find a better cross country trail bike. I only switched to the next bike for suspension tightness and pedaling efficiency. The next was an Intense spider. This bike is a 4 in travel rocket ship and I will race this bike next year for sure. Intense makes some of the best quality bikes ive every ridden. The quality and workmanship are the best and the customer service can't be beat. My third race bike is my Gary Fisher Ziggurat singlespeed. I ride this bike more than any other. It weighs about 18 lbs and is very dependable. I love the genesis geometry and the carbon seat and chain stays. This bike can do everything without mechanical problems and with alot of style! For forks I use a Manitou R7 on my spider and a Skareb on my ziggy.
i assume you are doing the 12 hours of temecula given you signature.....what is that course like? is it single speed friendly for 12 hours and if so, do you have words of wisdom for a pseudo girly-man for gearing?

cheers

·
Registered
359 Posts
Tomac Revolver 80mm w/ 80mm Skareb Pro. Basically the same thing as the Yeti AS-R or Racer-X in terms of function. A lot of extraneous looking tubing in the seat tube area in comparison to the other two. I can't complain though, as I picked it up for a song. I wanted to get the scalpel, especially for the Lefty. Once I tested it, that idea went out the window. Even testing it with less than half the recommended shock pressure, I couldn't get it to cycle more than just over half of the amount of travel. Perhapse I am too light to overcome the EPO chain stays at 135lbs, as I cannot figure out any other possibility. I wanted to believe, especially with the Lefty performance. Climbed aboard the Revolver and immediately felt right. Sean Allen, how much do you weight, if you don't mind me asking? I am curious if anyone in my weight category had similar issues with the Scalpel.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hey FoShizzle

FoShizzle said:
i assume you are doing the 12 hours of temecula given you signature.....what is that course like? is it single speed friendly for 12 hours and if so, do you have words of wisdom for a pseudo girly-man for gearing?

cheers
Ya this is my first try at race promotion! I am partnered with Vail Lake to put on our series out there in 2006. The course is basically the same as the 24 hr course that granny gear puts on. I rebuilt that course for them last year after the rains killed it. You can see the course layout on thier site. The course is not to bad for singlespeed. I have run several gear setups. I ran a 32 - 18 on my 29r ss. That was to much work! I have ran 32 - 18 on my 26r and that felt better. But I think the right setup is 32-20 or 34-18. The initial climb in the begining is where you need the spin. Not a hard technical climb. But long and it has 3 50 ft steep sections. I love riding the ss out there. definatley fun. But for 12 I'd gear up. If you want to preride shoot me an email [email protected]

·
Registered
294 Posts
A Vicious Cycles Metal Guru (steel hardtail) with a Rockshox SID World Cup up front. SRAM components (grip shift/x.9) and handbuilt wheels (DT Swiss 240 laced to Olympic ZTR rims with DT Swiss Competition spokes & alloy nips).
For 2006 I might invest in a XC dualie...

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
708 Posts
For 06 I'll be on 2 identical Kona Kings with Fox F100RLs on the front. All stock parts with the exception of the SRAM X.0/X9 drive trains, American Classic 350 disc wheels and Maxxis rubber.

Last year I ran a Kona King Kikapu (full sus) and a Kona Kula Primo (hardtail) with identical specs. This included SID World Cup forks which cause me a lot of back, shoulder, arm and hand pain.

Eddie O

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
Eddie O said:
Last year I ran a Kona King Kikapu (full sus) and a Kona Kula Primo (hardtail) with identical specs. This included SID World Cup forks which cause me a lot of back, shoulder, arm and hand pain.

Eddie O
Ditto on the SID world cup issues. They get to feel like a jack hammer after a short while. I put a Reba race on my Fuel and the bike rides like a dream now.

My stable for '06 will include 2 Trek Fuels with Rebas + a Dos Niner. 2 bikes with XO, the other Fuel with XTR in case of wet events.

Long travel fork on Fuels? Hell yea - rides like butter, and hey, even Eatough rode that combo in Whistler so it's gotta be good, right? :)

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
708 Posts
hairball_dh said:
Long travel fork on Fuels? Hell yea - rides like butter, and hey, even Eatough rode that combo in Whistler so it's gotta be good, right? :)
I hear he ran a 120 or 130 mm fork up there. That's a rough course especially in those conditions, so I can see the advantage.

I forgot to mention my new Kona Unit 2-9 with a Reba fork, American Classic wheels, Jones H-Bars, Avid Juicy 7s, Race Face Evolve SS cranks, and Maxxis rubber. Just waiting on the cranks to come to build her up! I'm planning race this rig a few times this year.

Eddie O

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
farmertan said:
I guess this is kind a survey. For those of you that are fairly competitive, what bike do you all use in endurance events? I'm switching from XC racing to endurance events and am deciding on a bike. My top pics are a Turner Flux or a Titus Moto-Lite. My goal is to be competitive, not "just finish". If some of you all could tell me what frame and fork you're using, I would appreciate it!
For adventure racing: usually Yeti ASR-SL with a Marathon 105mm fork, riser bars with cane creek bar ends. Two different wheelsets depending on the projected route and the time of day. (Sturdier tires for night and rough stuff). Not the lightest setup, but I am heavy and slow myself.

Cyclocross rigid when it is mostly roads (many races in CA suck in this regards) or a steel custom 29er with WB 80mm and flat Ti bar when the route is mostly fireroads, same with cyclocross tires, for fireroads/road mix.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Main bike: 1998 Airborne Lucky Strike Ti Hardtail with Spicer Ti Rigid Fork
Back-up bike: 2001 Airborne Lucky Strike with 2001 Marzocchi Z-2 BAM Fork

When I can only bring one bike, I ride the rigid hartail.

Joe

farmertan said:

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
I bring all my MTBs just in case.... :)

This year i ran a SC Superlight with a Skareb Super 100 fork...i love it compared to runnin my litespeed when it was geared...i consume much less advil :)

My foul weather back up is a 20Lb Litespeed Toccoa Singlespeed

And if those foul up i run the trusty old school fully weight-weenied 1997 Trek 930 steel frame and rigid fork

-Boz

In 06, if we ever get the dang things...Im running a Orbea OIZ...its very much like a Cannondale Scalpel...but i gotta put a 100mm fork on it for sure

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
I’m racing on a Giant XTC hardtail. It’s currently a bare frame and in the process of being rebuilt, but I have raced it in a number of solo 12, 6 and 4-hour events in the past. I figure I’m still young, and the hardtail “abuse” doesn’t seem to get to me too much.

I have been known to do a couple of longer events on my rigid SS too, so I’m used to it. :D

My XTC rebuild is going to see a little more carbon this time around, which might take a bit of the sting out of the bigger hits and smaller vibrations.

Funnily enough though, my dream Endurance rig would be a lightweight 5” trail bike.

While the purists might cringe, I really think it’s the way to go for me. Something like a 5-Spot, Prophet, 5.5, 575 or maybe a Trance??

Fair enough it might be a little heavier, but the added confidence descending in comparison to a 10kg hardtail has been on my mind of late, and most modern suspension designs are decent to pedal on now days.

Many of the trails we race on here are a little on the rougher side too, so having a bike that can hook up and dig in on the climbs is appealing.

But on the other hand, maybe my desire for a flat-out heavy going trail riding play toy is clouding my judgement…

N+1 disease it’s called isn’t it?? :D

I think I’ll stick to the trusty hardtail for now!!

Cheers, Dave.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.