Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me:

lots of roads/hills, TONS of trails here

i need a bike that can handle trails and also lots of bumpy/hilly roads comfortably

i'll be travelling with this bike throughout new england/canada, maybe not to trail ride but to use it all the time

must beable to handle new england weather

i'm

20 years old, 5' 10, 155lbs

i WAS looking at the Specialized hardrock pro disc

also was looking at the specialized FSR xc

do i want full suspension?

also, is there still good deals on 04s or would they all be sold out? i have a lot of local bike shops

girlfriend will be riding the same as me but im gonna say less trails

shes 5' 2, 120lbs, 18 years old

for her i was looking at the Specialized hardrock sport women's

would i get a better deal buying both bikes at the same time?

price range is <$1500 on my bike (im leaniant though, if need be)

for her bike <$750

thanks guys, by the way this is my first post :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
So you're worth twice what she is? LOL

The Specialized Hardrock is aimed more at the entry level dirt jumping brigade and would not be a good choice for mixed road/trail riding, If you are going to be riding on the road, then a hardtail is definitely the best choice - especially at the lower price range. Don't bother with disc brakes at this price either - their additional cost will compromise the rest of the bike spec too much. Stick to the big brand names like Trek, Specialized, Giant or GF and you can't go far wrong.

Remember that all proper mountain bikes are a LOT slower on the road than road bikes - even up hills. This may be of concern if you are planning long road trips with extended road climbs etc. In which case you might be better off with a hybrid road/mtb, although this will obviously compromise the off-road ability!

·
pepito
640 Posts
im' gonna say you need a good cyclocross bike. both of you. it sounds like you'll be doing traveling with this bike, and alot of 'cyclotourers' out there have the ability to accept front and/or rear racks with fenders. cyclocross are great for a mixture of trail/pavement. i recently bought a surly crosscheck, which i would recommend for yourself, and i couldn't be happier. it blows my mtb away on the road (which i had been using prior to this purchase), and it's not that much slower on the trails. the frame and fork will run ~$400, and a nice build will keep you below budget of $1500.

for your girlfriend, i'd look at the kona jake. it meets her requirements and budget. you may want to look into a kona as well.

the only caveat to a cyclocross bike, is that they may seem a bit uncomfortable at first to someone who doesn't ride alot. be sure to look around at a lot of lbs', and pick one that seems very knowledgable and willing to get a particular bike to fit your needs, riding style, and body type.

let us know what you decide.

the_dude

·
Registered
454 Posts
Kona has 2 models that fit your needs.

Based on the description of the style of riding you'll be doing I have to agree with the previos post. The Kona Jake would be an excellent ride for the GF and they offer an upgrade called Jake The Snake. I'd buy it based on the name alone! Kona is pretty serious about their cyclocross effort. Check them out.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Love my JTS

I have a Kona Jake the Snake cross bike and love it. If the off-road terrain isn't too steep or technical, I'll take it everytime over my Giant VT2. Or I toss some slicks and fenders on it for a primo town/commuter bike that can hang with the roadies on occasion. Great bike all around, just took a little accustomization from riding only full suspension bikes for the previous 6 years. The ultimate upgrade for that baby would be a front disc brake, as I blow through pads *all* the time

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would say go with a pair of hard tail bikes.

Spec out something like a Rock Hopper Comp or Comp Disc for both of you. I would also say that once you get into the Rock Hoppers, the spec with Discs is more or less worth it.

The components are pretty good.

Rock Hopper Comp Disc

Now, I have a bias towards Specialized because I ride a Stumpy Comp HT with disc brakes. :)

I should add that it is important for you to try a large variety of bikes out first and see which ones are most comfortable/fun for you. If they aren't that, then you'll never ride them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.