Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again we're hitting that point where the off-season has begun, at least for cyclists in the northern part of the northern hemisphere. I know in many winters past, I've spent a fair amount of time daydreaming about tacky dirt at high elevation, and this has resulted in some reconfiguration of the stable over the winter. I know others are doing it too as indicated by the traditionally large selection of bikes on ebay / classifieds during the winter months.

This year, I don't have any big changes planned. But to be honest I have said that before (it's only November). I have a sick Highline which should keep me content for a while... I supposed I'd be even more content with some stronger brakes though. And maybe a lighter wheelset. And some wider bars. Look, it's happening already. And I really want to get a road bike this year.

So.... what are YOU building? And what brought you to the conclusion that you 'needed' it? Don't feel like you need to justify your decision to anyone, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
176 Posts
2009 Turner Sultan
Uber Build

2009 Turner 5Spot
Frankenbike
Taking my Iron Horse out to pasture and using the parts on the 5 spot.

I have already posted this picture, but...here it is again. Furniture Linens Pillow Home accessories Throw pillow

·
Registered
107 Posts
Other than the basic maintenance my big plan is to:

1. Get my 02 RFX powdercoated.
2. Mod my King headset to take a compression ring.
3. Build a singlespeed rear wheel, put on 5 or 6 gears and make my RFX a 10/12 speed.

Thats more or less it. I might toss a coil in the 66, an Avy in the back, or go to a single ring up front and ditch the front derailleur. Haven't decided yet.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
bikekayakhike said:
2009 Turner Sultan
Uber Build

2009 Turner 5Spot
Frankenbike
Taking my Iron Horse out to pasture and using the parts on the 5 spot.

I have already posted this picture, but...here it is again. View attachment 498329
Red couch shots are out!

Red bed shots with spooning Turners are in :D

2010 will have to c what Santy brings, the Elves tell be patient and be good or else:p

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
No new builds for me either, but I'll be swapping out my 888 for a 66RC3 for the off season climb-it-yourself freeriding.

Looking for stronger brakes and wider bars? Suggestion: Formula The Ones & Chromag 30" risers. I run em, I like em. :thumbsup:

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,366 Posts
In the immortal words of one of our shop mechanics, "there's a lot goin' on" with my 2010 builds.

Right now, I have 29er HT (Niner MCR 9) and 29er FS (Pivot Mach 429) builds in the pipeline. I'm waiting for my new wheels (I9/Flow) to come in for the Sultan. And I need to order a fork and brakes to complete the 429 the way I'd like. And then for the road bike... I'm going to order the new Ultegra 6700 gruppo, and probably move most of the old drivetrain that's now on my road bike to my 'cross bike.

I just hope that with all the money I've spent on new goodies that I'll be able to get more riding in next year. :madman:

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I am gonna give a DW Spot a go and see if it can replace the 08 RFX. I won't sell the RFX frame until I have ridden the DW Spot and made my mind up but based on a lot of feedback I have seen on here nobody seems to regret going from an 07/08 RFX to a 09/10 Spot. I was just going to get an Avy Chubie for the RFX but decided to try and swing a DW Spot as I was so impressed with it on my demo ride.

·
Registered
999 Posts
LncNuvue said:
We have no off-season in the desert:) The only upcoming changes I have planned are a new fork, either a Lyrik Coil or Revelation 150, and trying out some different tires, got my eye on the Conti Rubber Queen 2.4/f & 2.2/r. Other than that, she's dialed...
View attachment 498348
I have the Revelation 150 U-turn - It is a really impressive fork. I highly recommend.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just in the middle of updating my '07...5spot
--Went with some SLX cranks
--CB acid pedals
--x-9 R.D
-- xt brakes
-- 980 sram cassett
-- jag ripcord shifter cables
I think with some new wheels it will feel like a new ride, leaning towards the CB Iodine. It's amazing how fast parts start adding up!

·
Uit Nederland
348 Posts
Just the thread I was looking for!

I'm looking to make a big addition for '10 and was hoping I could get some help from you all. Right now I ride a SC Chameleon with a RS Revelation, it's my only bike and I do All-Mountain riding with it. But, for 2010 I want to go BIGGER. So, I was thinking a bike that I could still horse around with on my local Northern VA trails, it doesn't have to set record times, as long as I can get out and ride. But when the weekends allow, I'd like to be able to take it to do some bigger stuff, 4'-5' drops, chair-lift type stuff at some local tracks and ski-resorts.

So, some bikes I was looking at, all of which are undergoing recent model-updates, I am planning on buying them used, so they'd be significantly cheaper, the list includes;

2008 Turner RFX
2008 Turner DHR
2008 Intense Slopestyle.

DHR - Is definitely more oriented towards coming down the mountain and in no way made to go up. Meaning I'd keep my Chameleon as my do-it-all.

RFX - Of the list, it's the most versatile. It's more towards the climbing side on the climb - descend spectrum, but can still take a good drop (5'?). I'd convert the Chameleon to single speed.

Slopestyle - The shape seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, slack, 6.7" travel, a do it all bike, setup 2x9 I feel as though it'd be exactly what I wanted. But, and this is a big but, I haven't read awesome things about the CS, and from reviews, it has a flexy rear tri. But, a fun bike none-the less and that is what I'm after. Again, I'd convert the Chameleon to single speed.

Every year I go home to the Netherlands, a 6-hour drive from Switzerland and its big beautiful Alps, I'd like to take my bike there sometime, which one would fit in the best and be the most fun? Again, I want a big sh1t-eating grin on my face. Not sure how many DH courses there are in Switzerland so it may need to be a bike that can go up and down.

So, what do you all think, any insight is much appreciated.

-Steve

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
flow_vs_speed said:
Once again we're hitting that point where the off-season has begun, at least for cyclists in the northern part of the northern hemisphere. I know in many winters past, I've spent a fair amount of time daydreaming about tacky dirt at high elevation, and this has resulted in some reconfiguration of the stable over the winter. I know others are doing it too as indicated by the traditionally large selection of bikes on ebay / classifieds during the winter months.

This year, I don't have any big changes planned. But to be honest I have said that before (it's only November). I have a sick Highline which should keep me content for a while... I supposed I'd be even more content with some stronger brakes though. And maybe a lighter wheelset. And some wider bars. Look, it's happening already. And I really want to get a road bike this year.

So.... what are YOU building? And what brought you to the conclusion that you 'needed' it? Don't feel like you need to justify your decision to anyone, I'm just curious.
Was right in the middle of building a new Flux when I realized the bike shop sold me the wrong size.

Waiting for the replacement, which being a "custom" color will take another week or so.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Planing on building up a long travel steel HT. My 5 spot is over kill for the trail system 5 minutes from my house. Hoping a HT will make those trails fun again. The Spot will
be used for the more technical trails I travel to on the weekends.

Still cannot decide between the 456 and the 456 Summer Season.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts