Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so, everyone's got one. Those ambitious rides that you scheme up in your head over a few beers with friends. Or a series of trails that you think you may be able to link up if you spend enough time on Google Earth. Or the ONE that has defeated you in every past attempt....that kind of ride. Now that the snow is all but a lingering memory in the high mountains, I know many of you are feverishly sweating the details of some epic adventure.

Let's hear it. All the little details that need to be worked out. The shuttle drop, or the mid-ride food stash. The gear you need to bring in order to survive a multi-day solo effort. Or that ONE logistic you can't seem to resolve. These are the things that make big rides so memorable.

Mine's not until November, but I can't stop thinking about it. I'll be in Maui and I'm going to re-attempt the climb up Haleakala. Last time, I made it to 9,200' before completely bonking. But this time, my wife will meet me at the summit with lunch and a mtn. bike and I'm going to descend the trail off the back of the volcano through Poli Poli Park. It's just nutty enough that I'll need to really prepare for it. The climb is relatively easy, but the sheer saddle time combined with mid-mtn. weather and altitude make it pretty challenging. Then, jumping on a mountain bike and descending 4,000 feet of volcanic rock and soil should be just enough to make my entire body cramp into a little ball. But that's the exciting part for me. Just trying to survive.

So what's yours?

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
1.Big Boulder-2nd divide-Rocky Ridge/Indian Valley
2. Mt. Elewell-Smith Creek- Gray Eagle
3.Seven Springs-Hunter Point-Toyon

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
a few

1. Sayles Canyon > Caples -- exploration ride
2. Poker Flat > Downieville via Grizzley & Hennicker Mine trails
3. Elwell > Graeagle

·
VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
1,156 Posts
We are planning a variation of the Super Punisher that starts at Mt. Rose and instead of dropping down Mr. Toads, dropping down the trail right after Armstrong Pass.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
A few on the do do list, probably only get to one of them this year

Rose -> Strawberry
Grouse Ridge -> Purdon crossing
Stampede ->Hole in the Ground
Echo->Ice House

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
i would like to one day incorporate an all of auburn ride with an extended loop of quarry / western states trail, fording the river at ruckachucky.

russel rd, down to the road, backtrack to 49 and do quarry. up western states, staying on it for the hikeabike sections and creeks, then i *think it's a left to stay on wst instead of american states trails (it's been awhile), ride to ruckachucky, ford river, ride up and out of ruckachucky campground and ontop foresthill divide loop, continue loop ccw, connector, culvert, confluence, up russel rd.

I've read detailed accounts of this, but don't have the leg power or the friends that would be willing to do it.

An epic by all means, but illegal and fording the river just sounds dangerous.

One of these years...

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
you guys are nutty......

i'm just gonna jump on my bike when i feel like it...pedal for a couple hours...ride back home....have a beer....and do that the entire summer...

:p

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
24elsinore said:
From San Francisco:

GGB - Headlands - Top O Tam - Fairfax - 1/2 Tamarancho - Solstice - Marin Brewing Company & Ferry home
I love that ride. Last time went out Bolinas Ridge and bonked hard climbing out of the Pine Mountain Loop. Did not have enough legs for the remainder.

Once this weekend is over & back to riding. Going to re-do this ride and add a little something something.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Last year I pieced together a 50 miles of Marin ride on my birthday that incorporated China Camp, Tamarancho, Pine Mountain, Mt Tam and the Headlands. I am now trying to piece together a Marin 10kish ride that would do all of the above as a loop with as much single track as possible, maybe ending with lights.

Have some great ideas just need someone to lend me their legs.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Doing this

I'm doing this August 7th:

http://www.mudslingerevents.com/mountain-bike-races/high-cascades-100/

Then the North Umqua River Trail [72 miles of sindletrack] the following week.

Maybe trail 160 @ Fremont-Winema National Forest, starting from Silver Lake, OR to Modoc Co. in CA in late September.It's supposedly gorgeous and @ 160 miles long.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not really huge rides, but long drives to get to semi long rides.

Mid August, Going to ride the Alpine trail near Oakridge, Oregon with shuttle. Also, one more day of riding near Oakridge. Any recommendations?

Also, going to ride a day in/near Bend. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
dsnow23 said:
Not really huge rides, but long drives to get to semi long rides.

Mid August, Going to ride the Alpine trail near Oakridge, Oregon with shuttle. Also, one more day of riding near Oakridge. Any recommendations?

Also, going to ride a day in/near Bend. Any recommendations?
pin it on "whoops" and try to stop smiling.

·
Locs on Spokez
1,905 Posts
Santa Cruz > Blackrock

Blackrock > Sunshine Coast (Canada)

Sunshine Coast > Shore/Whistler (for 4 weeks)

Yah.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
redmr2_man said:
pin it on "whoops" and try to stop smiling.
+1 on Whoops the lower portion if I remember had a lot of berms. A chiller version of Kessel Run for me.

Also hit up Funner.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Grouse

TahoeBC said:
Grouse Ridge -> Purdon crossing
I've been trying to talk people into this ride for years... no luck yet. I figured ride to Washington the first day, stay at the Washington Hotel, then next day ride down to Purdon

·
user
1,064 Posts
Looking at a few longer rides...

That climb up Haleakala and descent via trail sounds epic... that will probably make my list of todos the next time we go to Maui.

1. Sierra-Tahoe 100 (Probably the 50 mile route)... Depends on if I can get up there that weekend.
  2. Finally getting around to doing the MTB Tour de Peninsula route... I had to cancel this ride last time.
  3. 3 climbs in LG: Kennedy - St Joseph's - Montevina/El Sereno - 1 day towing my 3 year old in the Chariot. This one is the most likely candidate. Although I am not sure I can do all 3 climbs in one day and my kid may get bored after Kennedy/St Joes.

·
iheartMTNs
139 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread :) I find it interesting how the mind seems to almost automatically or nearly subconsciously sort out what the next fun/challenging rides to link/conquer might be. Then of course one works out the details quite consciously ;)

"a variation of the Super Punisher that starts at Mt. Rose and instead of dropping down Mr. Toads, dropping down the trail right after Armstrong Pass."

This^ one will probably be the most challenging for me, but there are others (both mtb and road).

Good luck to all :thumbsup:

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
Stampede + HiTG sounds interesting. That'd kick my arse but I like the idea. What about the other way around? Do HiTG to Stampede? Would that be less climbing?

Someday I'd like to finish the Punisher. I've had to help with others mechanicals and my wrecks so DNF every time.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts