Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to order a BB for my Ragley Big Wig. Shimano XT BB should be a good one right? I don't want to spend a ton of money. 73mm BB with SLX cranks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I personally stay away from Shimano external cup BBs because Shimano use proprietary cup sizes and standard BB tools do not fit them. Not even Shimano's own BB tools!!! Insane. You need to buy one of their plastic adapters that slides into the BB tool. These adapters cost just a few bucks and it annoys me Shimano do not include them with the BBs. And the plastic is junk - the adapters usually barely last through a single BB install. Shimano even have a note in their manual that the adapters may become damaged and unusable after repeated use. Haha.

I do like Shimano for everything else, but for BBs I go for reputable after market brands (Hope, Chris King, Enduro, etc).

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
I personally stay away from Shimano external cup BBs because Shimano use proprietary cup sizes and standard BB tools do not fit them. Not even Shimano's own BB tools!!! Insane. You need to buy one of their plastic adapters that slides into the BB tool. These adapters cost just a few bucks and it annoys me Shimano do not include them with the BBs. And the plastic is junk - the adapters usually barely last through a single BB install. Shimano even have a note in their manual that the adapters may become damaged and unusable after repeated use. Haha.

I do like Shimano for everything else, but for BBs I go for reputable after market brands (Hope, Chris King, Enduro, etc).
I've never had an issue with installing Shimano BB's. Not sure what you are saying about proprietary cup sizes. It's the same size at a Chris King, Race Face, FSA, etc.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've never had an issue with installing Shimano BB's. Not sure what you are saying about proprietary cup sizes. It's the same size at a Chris King, Race Face, FSA, etc.
Maybe you never installed XT/XTR/Ultegra/DuraAce BBs. Their cups are smaller than Chris King and others. I think Deore and below are standard size though. If that weren't enough the Ultegra cups are different size to DuraAce, and XT are different size to XTR, and they each require a different adapter or dedicated Shimano tool. It's too much...

(TL-FC24, TL-FC25, TL-FC34, TL-FC37...)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yep the newer XT cups are smaller. Same as the Ultegra. But when I bought my Ultegra bb it came with the adapter. But it does suck because the adapter doesn’t work in my Performace bb tool. It barely fits and has to be wedged in there. Not the end of the world by any means but just a minor annoyance.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,095 Posts

While I find it silly they changed their standard, it's slightly annoying at best unless you have a lot of bikes, each with different BB. The retail package comes with the required adapter for whichever version you're installing. If you buy OE parts, it's only a couple bucks and you're still saving $$ over the "reputable aftermarket brands" you mention. Then there's the fact that Hope uses a proprietary tool for their 30mm BB as well, so your argument is falling apart...or are you just here to whine about Shimano?

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
Maybe you never installed XT/XTR/Ultegra/DuraAce BBs. Their cups are smaller than Chris King and others. I think Deore and below are standard size though. If that weren't enough the Ultegra cups are different size to DuraAce, and XT are different size to XTR, and they each require a different adapter or dedicated Shimano tool. It's too much...

(TL-FC24, TL-FC25, TL-FC34, TL-FC37...)
No I haven't recently. Using Sram GXP and PF30 on my bikes. But since the Shimano BB's come with the appropriate adapter, your point is moot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.