Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new set of handlebars for my 5-Spot and have been considering Easton EC70, EA70, Pro Tapers, etc, but I'm all ears to your suggestions.

What bars do you like for:
1. Stiffness?
2. Weight?
3. Durability?

What configuration do you like:
1. Rise?
2. Sweep?
3. Width?

The primary use is aggressive trail riding, if that matters.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
1. Stiffness? - EA70 (Al). Carbon bars are strong, but they flex more
2. Weight? - EA70
3. Durability? - EA70

1. Rise? 1.5"
2. Sweep? Standard EA70
3. Width? 1/2" off each side

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
EA70 is what I installed on my spot as well, to replace a carbon EC70 (which went on the flux...). I got the EA70 on sale, but I am very happy w/ it and appreciate the additional width. I suspect I'll replace the carbon bar on the flux w/ alum soon too, just to feel safer...

I am curious about the 31.8 o/s bars & stems. I wonder if I would be able to tell enough of a difference to change...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Another vote for the EC70.

Never thought I would like carbon bits on my mt bike but they work really well. Had an incident with the original race lite Ritchey straight bar aluminums:eek: The little bit of flex I get with the carbon do not stress me out and are fairly lite with a 1.5* rise and 24" end to end bar width.

KB

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone tried any of the new Race Face or Truvativ bars? It almost seems, from what I have heard, you either love 'em or hate 'em. I think I'm leaning toward the EA70, but time will tell.

Oh, yea. Thanks for the replies.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
be350ka said:
I'm looking for a new set of handlebars for my 5-Spot and have been considering Easton EC70, EA70, Pro Tapers, etc, but I'm all ears to your suggestions.

1. Stiffness?
2. Weight?
3. Durability?

1. Rise?
2. Sweep?
3. Width?

*SPAM*
I've got a brand new FSA K-force 31.8 carbon riser bar (40mm rise) for sale if you're interested. Paid $110. $80 shipped. Pics available.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
k1creeker said:
*SPAM*
I've got a brand new FSA K-force 31.8 carbon riser bar (40mm rise) for sale if you're interested. Paid $110. $80 shipped. Pics available.
C'mon... fess up. You'e replacing it with an EA70, aren't you?:D

Besides.... give MTBR their due and pay the $2 fee..... sheesh.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
EC 70 is an awesome bar I run it on my Spot and I jump, drop up to 6ft not recommended but hay shes sweet, I also like the Race Face Next but I will continue to put my life in the hands on the EC when it comes to carbon.

Also like my Race Face Diablous its a keeper and bullet proof maybe a little overkill for the Spot, she will be going on the the RFX in time, no carbon on that puppy.

Match ya EC 70 with a Thomson X4 and you'll be grinning, the sweep on these bars is also a nice feature compared to most.

·
Registered
350 Posts
You can't buy a bar from what other people are using, well to some extent you can pick a brand but not the sizing (i.e. model). It's like asking;

What shoes do like and what size should I buy?

The width and rise of a bar needs to be tuned to your body, feel around a bit on your current bar. Does it feel better to move the hands out an inch or two? Do you want them closer togheter or the same? Put your fingertips on the bar and try to visualize what height you want. Would you prefer the hands to be angled sideways more or less?

Ask yourself these questions and chanses are you'll buy the right bar for your needs. Myself I went to 680 mm width, Titec Ringleader (discontinued, it seems).

On the alu vs. smoked dino I say: Carbon flexes to some degree, that can be a good thing soaking up shatter thus making your body less tired. At the same time there is the gnawing feeling that it might crack. But hey, alu bars crack too (never ride a crash bent alu bar)...

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
theTnT said:
You can't buy a bar from what other people are using, well to some extent you can pick a brand but not the sizing (i.e. model). It's like asking;

What shoes do like and what size should I buy?

The width and rise of a bar needs to be tuned to your body, feel around a bit on your current bar. Does it feel better to move the hands out an inch or two? Do you want them closer togheter or the same? Put your fingertips on the bar and try to visualize what height you want. Would you prefer the hands to be angled sideways more or less?

Ask yourself these questions and chanses are you'll buy the right bar for your needs. Myself I went to 680 mm width, Titec Ringleader (discontinued, it seems).

On the alu vs. smoked dino I say: Carbon flexes to some degree, that can be a good thing soaking up shatter thus making your body less tired. At the same time there is the gnawing feeling that it might crack. But hey, alu bars crack too (never ride a crash bent alu bar)...
Just to clarify, I'm not much of one to fall into the herd mentality,so I was just trying to get a feel as to what people were happy with. As far as sweep, width, etc it is a very personal decision that only the user can make. Before spending anything on bike parts, I tend to test the waters to see what is hot or cold.

Your points are well taken and thanks for the reply!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
C'mon... fess up. You'e replacing it with an EA70, aren't you?:D

Besides.... give MTBR their due and pay the $2 fee..... sheesh.
Oh...wiseguy;) . I did have an ad in the classifieds. Even ponied up for the bold, red, text. It expired last week. Just trying to get some extra mileage out of it. :thumbsup:

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
be350ka said:
I saw you aggressively put your belly up to your current bars on the ride today, buddy. ;) Just kidding with ya', at least you didn't go over the bars like I did. :D

Patrick

OT aside (come to think of it, my whole post is pretty off topic, sorry about that): Those were cool trails, even though we still had to climb a little. I'd love to get a little practice on that one rocky downhill, get a feel for some of the lines. Oh, yeah, an RFX would help too. :yesnod: (Just to keep it on topic for the Turner forum ;) )

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PCinSC said:
I saw you aggressively put your belly up to your current bars on the ride today, buddy. ;) Just kidding with ya', at least you didn't go over the bars like I did. :D

Patrick

OT aside (come to think of it, my whole post is pretty off topic, sorry about that): Those were cool trails, even though we still had to climb a little. I'd love to get a little practice on that one rocky downhill, get a feel for some of the lines. Oh, yeah, an RFX would help too. :yesnod: (Just to keep it on topic for the Turner forum ;) )
You may have gone over the bars, but only I can fall off of a bike while it is at a dead stop, leaning against a tree while remaining clipped into my pedals. :blush:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.