Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What attracted you to Venatana? Was a particular bike? Suggestion from riding buddy? Good reputation? Made in US? All of the above? Bilingual rider?
Just curious. Thinking about one my self.
Thanks

·
Registered
761 Posts
I saw my first Ventana Marble Peak in 94-95....

It was the first FS bike I'd seen that looked "finished." The pivots weren't simply some ugly allen bolts mated to a cobbled together rear triangle; the rear trangles were beautifully polished, the welding was flawless. So many Fs bikes of the early 90s looked like Rube Goldberg had designed them. The Ventana looked like a bike should in my opinion. They also rode beautifully. So I bought one. Then I got to experience great customer service when Ventana contacted me regarding my Titanium main pivot that they felt was a poor bearing surface, and had me send in the frame at my leisure at their expense.

I haven't owned anything else since then. And according to some sources, I've got a new one (my 7th!) coming for my 35th birthday.

Feel the gin

discodave said:
What attracted you to Venatana? Was a particular bike? Suggestion from riding buddy? Good reputation? Made in US? All of the above? Bilingual rider?
Thanks
:D

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
discodave said:
Thanks
Got my El Fuego as schwag at an MTBR gathering in '01, in my size, no less. If you go to the Ventana website, in the gallery, there's a picture of me with the frame and a big $hit-eating grin on my face.

I've got it equipped as the lightweight racer in my stable, though I rarely race anymore. It doesn't get out as much as a nice bike like it should. It's such a sweet ride, I can't bring myself to part with it.

Kathy :^)

·
Not dead yet, just playin
910 Posts
muuuhahahaha! one of us! one of us!!....ahem..sorry

discodave said:
Thanks
Dave! Long time no hear from you!

C'mon down and I'll let you take my Fuegomontes out for spin around LC, then you can see what they're all about. I have a 15" model, which might be small for you..

I personally went for a Ventana after dealing with a misaligned rear triangle on that Schwinn URT I rode for years. I spent so much time and money trying to make that bike act right. I was determined the next bike I would get would be made perfectly.

I narrowed it down to Ventana El Fuego and Turner Burner. I went with the Fuego after talking with Sherwood at Ventana and Larry Mettler at MHC. I really liked the fact that I could call Ventana and talk with the guy that not only designed my bike, but most likely welded most of it! On top of that, Larry was great to work with. I got it just in time to take it to the '03 OC that we did. I figure that would be a good "test-under-fire" for the bike. It performed great! (i.e. I didn't get sick of riding it for 10 hours!)

Since then, I've gotten the suspension dialed in better. I was riding it waaaay to harsh in the beginning. The icing on the cake was a set of 4" rockers. Now I see I should've gone with a Salty instead of a Fuego in the beginning.

Now I'm toying with the idea of 5" rockers and a new fork! :D Will it ever end!??

I think a Salty or a Cincomontes would rock for just about any application that doesn't involve lots of body-padding..

More importantly, you gonna get in on the 05 OC? Boatner and I have a cabin for everyone right there in Oden, 1/8th of a mile from the start/finish/school. So far we have about 7 Mississippians slated to go.

And more more importantly, are you gonna come down for the 2nd annual 24 Hours of Clear Springs??? Team "Crazy Med Students" is down a man since Jason moved..

Shoot me an email sometime! brian-dot-coleman-at-mail-dot-skytel-dot-com

Pic of the Fuegomontes

·
Registered
502 Posts
my path

I started with Konas because at the time they were a small company that one could get personalized service from. Many years later I got my first full suspension rig from Kona, a King Kikapu race bike. At first I thought it was great - nice and light with pretty tight steering. But soon the bushings started wearing out and the darn thing just didn't climb all that well. (I attribute the poor climbing to ancient shock technology but thats another thread.) Then I got a Stinky - a big fat pig of a bike with lots of travel. I could climb anything on this bike as long as I could keep the crank turning. At 37 lbs that was a tall order but I now knew what lots of suspension can do for you. I figured there had to be a better way to go so I started looking in to "trail bikes" with roughly 5 inhces of travel that would weigh in around 28 to 30 pounds. My first inclination was an Id but after some research I fell onto this company called Ventana. The more I learned the more I liked and finally I was convinced that the El Saltamontes was the way to go. I admit I bought mine sight unseen (cuz there just aint a whole bunch of Ventana dealers out there) but I have not the slightest regret. All of the positive things you've ever heard about Ventanas are true. I think the Turner 5 Spot is a comparable bike as far as ride quality but the one thing the Cincomontes (as coined above) has over the 5 Spot is looks. Maybe its those crazy yokes or maybe its the translucent paint, I don't know, but Ventana sure makes a beautiful frame and so far mine has withstood some serious abuse and she's still going strong.

Quality: even the inside of the BB shell is painted!

As a company Ventana has the customer service thing dialed in as well. The couple of times I have needed anything from them, such as a new hanger, they shipped it pronto (once Theresa even forgot to charge me for it!). And finally, Sherwood has always been there to answer my questions, no matter how redundant or silly they were.

Great bikes and great service makes happy customers who tell other potential customers and so the legend is born.

·
orthonormal
5,245 Posts
discodave said:
Thanks
Ciclistagonzo. He's just so damn handsome. Actually he posted pics of the Bruja on the passion board when it first came out. I was shopping for a freeride bike at the time, had almost ordered a Turner RFX but changed my mind when I found out there was a 6+ month wait.

I sold it when I decided I wanted something lighter with more top tube clearance. I was riding a 2002 SpecialEd Enduro when I got the chance to borrow one of Ventana's Interbike demo Chamucos for a weekend. I sold the Enduro frame the following week and i've been riding a Chamuco ever since.

·
aka greyranger
507 Posts
reasons

I will be going with a x-5 because:
1. You can call and talk to Sherwood
2. Other riders suggestions
3. Beautiful build quality( you do not realize until you actually see one)
4. Reputation of durability
5. Feel of ride
6. Made in USA with care

·
aka Willy Vanilly
485 Posts
I decided to swap to a Ventana b/c of;
the reputation for quality
the ability to talk to people (Sherwood and Teresa) who gave me honest answers to my questions (regarding seat v chain stay pivot, weight, tubing, efficiency, squat, etc)
the frame design (of the X-5) with the extra standover
the ability to see where the bikes are made
Larry @ MHC who answered a plethora of questions w/o a complaint
The ability to get GRINCH GREEN

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sheerwood...he so sexy !!!!

Actually, I met himand Thersa at a show, and great down to earth, as well as great knowledgable people. Where else do you get to talk to someone that Rides the same trails as you (Loon) as well as talk to someone that builds bikes with a passion !!!

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Lol!~

andy f said:
Ciclistagonzo. He's just so damn handsome. Actually he posted pics of the Bruja on the passion board when it first came out. I was shopping for a freeride bike at the time, had almost ordered a Turner RFX but changed my mind when I found out there was a 6+ month wait.

I sold it when I decided I wanted something lighter with more top tube clearance. I was riding a 2002 SpecialEd Enduro when I got the chance to borrow one of Ventana's Interbike demo Chamucos for a weekend. I sold the Enduro frame the following week and i've been riding a Chamuco ever since.
I don't know if I should be flattered, or scared!

So I can take credit both your frame purchases? Cool.

BTW, you been riding much?

·
orthonormal
5,245 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
I don't know if I should be flattered, or scared!

So I can take credit both your frame purchases? Cool.

BTW, you been riding much?
Hey, i'm not the one who lives down near Manlove Rd.

I rode Salmon Falls on Sunday around 11:00 am. The place was practically empty and the trails were in great shape. I was in Tucson and Phoenix the week before, got one ride in with Bugaroo.

I also took the Bianchi and rode Salmon Falls/Lower MM not long ago. The SS is a pleasure to ride now that i'm under 170 lbs. but my docs and PT say hardtails are a no-no.

·
Registered
134 Posts
a blue marble peak...

that francis (ultra-lord moderator) owned. sherwood and ventana have been early supporters of mtbr. i rode that marble peak and was in love instantly. ride quality and the aesthetics (the paint job, the weld job and overall structure).

got my dream bike a year later. an electric superdust el salt. then... a la bruja later. i sold the el salt after the pivots got really loud, and then bought a double dribble later (a ventana/ sycip frankenbike).

i'll continue to buy ventana for as long as sherwood creates new and exciting performance bikes. i'm also a big supporter of local bike builders in norcal. sycip, ventana, jericho, rivendell.

elsaltamontes

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Neither do I....

I live near Mayhew.
Dam that didn't sound any better!

Was wondering if your back was upto the task. Glad to see you are doing well. I haven't seen Salmon Falls since early August, Daughter was born on 8/30 so took time off for that, and then I seperated my shoulder on 9/23. Five weeks off for that and finally hit dirt again, but only at Granite.
Slow Fall for me this year.

Tsk, tsk, tsk... SS at Slammin. Dam fun though!

I had my SS stolen, and I'm surprised by how much I miss it. I gotta figure out how to get one again. (And no, no insurance claim for that one).

·
Registered
921 Posts
Clyde Needed a Strong Frame....

......so the Pantera was my choice. I've only been riding for four years so I don't have the history & knowledge that many of you have but I do value a small American company that builds a great product here in the US and I will always be willing to pay more to support fellow American workers.

AND, Larry Mettler was great to work with and answered all my silly questions. The Pantera is still going strong and I am sure I will buy another Ventana in the future.

Russ

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
discodave said:
Thanks
Of the trailbikes I considered, Ventana simply seemed to have the best personality. It came down to a few bikes, all of which honestly, would have been great. It came down to something purely subjective such as the look of the bike and sense of ownership I felt I would have with the Ventana. I truly love the bike and have no regrets.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
A long time ago, in galaxy far far away...

discodave said:
Thanks
Ok, so it was the early nineties.
But I digress. My sister knew and worked with Sherwood before he was doing Ventana MTB's full time, Back in the day of the Cone Peak (elevated Chainstays and all!!)
I was just getting into MTB'ing at the time and I got a chance to ride with Sherwood in early '93 and got to see the original Marble Peak Hardtail, painted just like the bike in Mountain Bike Action that summer. A Beautiful translucent Red, the welds were unbelievable and the thing just rocketed on dirt. I knew right there and then I wanted one.

Fast forward 6 years, and I finally got MY Marble Peak. Of the FS variety.
Build quality is top, top, notch. The look of the bike is just plain beautiful and the ride was superb. It fit my style of riding perfectly. I Still have that frame, too hard to give it up.

I'm now on my third Ventana, a New Old Stock, Saltamontes Bushing Bike, and a 01 Bruja. As long as Sherwood keeps building bikes, I'll keep buying them.

Attachments

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Always admired the quality

I love the care that goes into building the things: beautiful welds and finishes, intelligent and durable designs, great overall craftsmenship etc. They're made in the USA. I also love the fact that Ventana has a reputation for absolutely stellar customer service. I had wanted one for at least 7 years but couldn't bring myself to put the cash into a new one and hadn't found a nice used one yet, finally the closeout Panteras were being sold. I couldn't resist anymore and contacted Larry at Mountain High Cycles (who also holds a stellar cust. service rep. BTW) and bought one. It's my first full suspension bike and have been extremely satisfied with it. When I buy a new bike in a year or two it'll most likely be a Ventana.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Read the MBA article on the El Hab back in 96 and it got a very good review. The I got a chance to ride a demo elHab bike soon after and immediately decided that it was the bike for me.
Got that, and finally replaced that with an El Salt this year.
Great build quality, design and service.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Team VW

I got my first Ventana in 2000. It is a Marble Peak stripped of paint and came with 3.5 & 4.5 rockers, Fox coil & Fox air shock, White Brothers SC90, Topline Cranks etc.... My friend's neighbor had seen the frame at the 1997 show in Vegas and ordered one on the spot. He loved the bike, but realized after a few months that it was a little too small for him so he got another bike and his girlfriend rode the Ventana once in a while. When he moved to CA he had to shed some bike stuff and asked me if I wanted to buy it. I didn't know what a Ventana was and had never had a real FS mountain bike of my own. The price was so good that I can't even mention it.... I've ridden that bike all over the northeast for thousands of miles and sitting on it is like being home. It rides like a dream and can take any punishing trails that I can survive. Since I've had the MB my cousin bought a Pantera and loves it and another friend of mine got a La Bruja. I now have a La Bruja too...

Once you see and ride a Ventana, you don't need convincing.....and the customer service is top notch. Sherwood and Teresa tell it like it is and take care of their customers.
I will always ride one...or two.

Creation Rebel
(aka: Vinnie Ventana)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
As a professional mechanical engineer myself I could immediately appreciate the quality of these bikes. Following a positive test review in the UK magazine MBR, I arranged a test ride on an X5 and never looked back. The bike is fantastic and the UK importer, Alan from Riverside cycles, is friendly, enthusiastic and very helpful. I haven't seen anything else that comes close.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.