Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did Skypark in Santa's Village, CA. Skypark bike park is a mellow climb up and several DH runs you can choose to go down. Here are my stats for Skypark: I weigh 205lbs, Distance 20 miles, 4,284 elevation and ride time 3.5hrs. I'm impressed with the range this Tazer can do on a 504wh battery. I climbed in ECO and used Boost for the DH. My last climb up, the battery indicator showed the last bar in RED and only ECO was available for the up and DH. Got down to the bottom, last bar now blinking and no more assist available to use. This is the 1st time I've used my entire battery up:thumbsup:! Surprised at how quickly the last bar went. But what an awesome day:)!

What are your stories with range good or bad?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Commuting at 18mph 40 miles total for the week on my Yamaha PW-SE bike with 400 wH battery I'll usually use 3/4 of the battery. I typically ride in ECO mode (100 percent assist) on the way to work and STANDARD (190 percent assist) on the way home.

Trail riding, 20 miles with 7 of that on pavement I'll usually use about half a battery but not much elevation gain, around 1000 feet. On pavement I'll use STANDARD mode but once on the trail but mostly ECO, except on steep sections or boring sustained grades.

I burned up 93 percent of my battery on a 22mile ride with 2200 feet elevation gain in an OHV area with steep (15-24 percent grade) climbs and lots of riding in loose washes.

Generally, I've been very pleased with the range of my eBike; it's usually more than I need.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My 2019 Trek Powerfly 7 plus I ride every day for about two hours on trails and road.
I do about twelve miles every day and usually use mtb mode where the bike decides what it needs. I don't want to run the battery out, so I get about three days and still have battery left and I charge it long before it runs dry. I would guess I'd get 45 to 55 miles per charge.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I have a Yamaha 2017 model PW and 500Wh seems enough for me.
I read somewhere that the first 10% supplies more energy than the last.
I am curious to know if a system offers more range with the same battery.
I am new to Ebikes.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
"I read somewhere that the first 10% supplies more energy than the last."

Actually the energy level, or voltage that is the amount of energy available, is constantly dropping and rebounding via the loss of voltage while under power and how it ramps back up when the assist is not activated. If displays had actual voltage readouts instead of the typical stupid bar type you would see this readily. That is why it is not correct to assume that the last half of your battery will provide the same mileage as the first half which it seems many do when they talk in percentages rather than actual wh's used.

Range is totally dependent on YOU and your eBike and the terrain you ride on and getting to know what the limits are. If you feel you are getting good range for your needs then you have the right size battery. If you are experiencing bad range then get a bigger battery or another of the same size to increase available wh's.

The idea of having 3 batteries of different wh ratings makes alot of sense. If you had 300, 500 and 700wh batteries that fit the same dock you would be covered for just about any situation including 24hr racing as you could be charging all the time or ride a century carrying all three.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
So on 10% of my rides, I run out of battery on the way back to the house. Usually 2-3 miles of flat pavement since I always extend my rides and end up draining the whole battery.

I use the Pivot Di2 with Shimano and their battery management is sooo bad, especially with one bar of batter left (out of 5). One moment you have the bar, and the next it's gone. Sometimes my LCD says 0 bars and my battery says one bar. You can turn it off and on and it'll get the bar back sometimes.

Luckily it's Shimano so virtually no drag when pedaling home on flat ground.

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"I read somewhere that the first 10% supplies more energy than the last."

Actually the energy level, or voltage that is the amount of energy available, is constantly dropping and rebounding via the loss of voltage while under power and how it ramps back up when the assist is not activated. If displays had actual voltage readouts instead of the typical stupid bar type you would see this readily. That is why it is not correct to assume that the last half of your battery will provide the same mileage as the first half which it seems many do when they talk in percentages rather than actual wh's used.

The idea of having 3 batteries of different wh ratings makes alot of sense. If you had 300, 500 and 700wh batteries that fit the same dock you would be covered for just about any situation including 24hr racing as you could be charging all the time or ride a century carrying all three.
I've noticed in the area I ride the most, in eco 1st bar takes about 5.5miles and then the 2nd close to that, then like you say it seems to get less. I always thought the trail just got harder.
3 batteries of those wh would be pretty cool!
So on 10% of my rides, I run out of battery on the way back to the house. Usually 2-3 miles of flat pavement since I always extend my rides and end up draining the whole battery.

I use the Pivot Di2 with Shimano and their battery management is sooo bad, especially with one bar of batter left (out of 5). One moment you have the bar, and the next it's gone. Sometimes my LCD says 0 bars and my battery says one bar. You can turn it off and on and it'll get the bar back sometimes.

Luckily it's Shimano so virtually no drag when pedaling home on flat ground.
That's exactly what happened at Skypark, crazy how quickly that last bar went!

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
So here's my story and I'm sticking to it. I was on a 3 hour ebike ride with two buddies and were just about done. 2 bars out of five left and I said "head back to the car." But then buddy hadn't done this trail and convinced me to us to go down this 1000 foot drop trail.

The climb back is a twisty mountain road 4 miles in a 1000 feet and I figured it would be doable. Getting dark so no time to argue.

Then we got lost a couple times! Trail was rad but then I sensed the urgency of the situation with the car parked on top of the hill. Both riders had less battery than my one bar so told them to descend downtown and wait for me there.

So I rallied up the mountain road in 'Eco' mode, giving everything I had. 2 miles to go and 500 feet to climb, the battery died. I turned it off and on several times but nothing. By now it was pitch black in the woods so I pedaled up on a mission. Hot rods were driving up this mountain road on this witching hour and they were wayyy to close to me. I figured they could not see me so I would ride way on the shoulder when I heard a vehicle. But then sometimes there was no shoulder.

My bright idea was to put my iphone in strobe mode (app) and face it backwards. I then put it on my fanny pack with the light facing out. Now cars were giving me plenty of room and I felt soo much better. It was rally time and I set hillclimb records with that 54 lb bike.

At the top, it turns out two other friends saw my vehicle and were waiting for me!! I chugged their beer and put down two brownies and I was on my way. That was crazy!! :)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
So here's my story and I'm sticking to it. I was on a 3 hour ebike ride with two buddies and were just about done. 2 bars out of five left and I said "head back to the car." But then buddy hadn't done this trail and convinced me to us to go down this 1000 foot drop trail.

The climb back is a twisty mountain road 4 miles in a 1000 feet and I figured it would be doable. Getting dark so no time to argue.

Then we got lost a couple times! Trail was rad but then I sensed the urgency of the situation with the car parked on top of the hill. Both riders had less battery than my one bar so told them to descend downtown and wait for me there.

So I rallied up the mountain road in 'Eco' mode, giving everything I had. 2 miles to go and 500 feet to climb, the battery died. I turned it off and on several times but nothing. By now it was pitch black in the woods so I pedaled up on a mission. Hot rods were driving up this mountain road on this witching hour and they were wayyy to close to me. I figured they could not see me so I would ride way on the shoulder when I heard a vehicle. But then sometimes there was no shoulder.

My bright idea was to put my iphone in strobe mode (app) and face it backwards. I then put it on my fanny pack with the light facing out. Now cars were giving me plenty of room and I felt soo much better. It was rally time and I set hillclimb records with that 54 lb bike.

At the top, it turns out two other friends saw my vehicle and were waiting for me!! I chugged their beer and put down two brownies and I was on my way. That was crazy!! :)
That is the reason i switched my cassette for an extra 6 teeth.
Most Ebikes are not geared for climbing.
Tougher gearing + heavier bike = problems waiting to happen.

·
Spud State Rider
630 Posts
I have the Trek powerfly (bosch) with 500 wh battery and a bulls evo 29er hardtail (brose) with supposedly a 650 wh battery (tmz I think). I ride in eco almost exclusively and get similar range on both bikes. I get a bit over 40-45 miles and aprox 4500ft of climbing on a full charge. I really doubt the advertised 650 wh battery is actually 650 wh. I do much prefer the brose motor to the bosch though.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
I have the Trek powerfly (bosch) with 500 wh battery and a bulls evo 29er hardtail (brose) with supposedly a 650 wh battery (tmz I think). I ride in eco almost exclusively and get similar range on both bikes. I get a bit over 40-45 miles and aprox 4500ft of climbing on a full charge. I really doubt the advertised 650 wh battery is actually 650 wh. I do much prefer the brose motor to the bosch though.
Yeah, doesn't sound right. You should get almost 30% more range on 650wh hardtail

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I suppose it could be that the bulls eco mode is higher assist than the bosch. Hard for me to tell and bulls is not the best for providing a lot of details about their bikes.
I do not know about that brand but most can be adjusted pre sale and post sale.
Did you get it new?
My Yamaha PW 2017 they simply copied from the website for France so it said the max was 25 km/h(wich is their legal max but it is 32(20mph) wich is the legal max where i bought it and ride it.
If my memory is good the Shimano 7000 and 8000 are set at 80% or 90% forever for lower assist and the others might be modified.
From my 4 level the lowest is 50% wich is ridiculous for someone in shape so i will ask my LBS to set it at 80%.

·
Spud State Rider
630 Posts
I live in small town idaho so purchased the bike new on-line and had it shipped to me. I believe Brose lets bike makers pretty much do what they want with their motors. As far as I know there is no way for me to adjust the power levels with the bulls setup. No worries as its fine as it is. The nice thing with the brose is it pedals like a normal (heavy) bike when power is off.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I live in small town idaho so purchased the bike new on-line and had it shipped to me. I believe Brose lets bike makers pretty much do what they want with their motors. As far as I know there is no way for me to adjust the power levels with the bulls setup. No worries as its fine as it is. The nice thing with the brose is it pedals like a normal (heavy) bike when power is off.
Thanks for your input. I am going to a Shimano demo and soon a Brose but from what i am reading Brose might be my next Ebike.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Brose lets manufacturers make their own batteries. Bulls made their own battery and makes their own claims about WH. It sounds like it's got bad spec. They do have inaccurate spec with all their mtbs, claiming 108 miles of range. They know it's wrong as I've told them but they won't change it.

Brose has a lot of drag when the motor is off, like they all do... except Shimano which has a clutch and releases the motor.

·
Spud State Rider
630 Posts
Yea it would not surprise me if the stated wh on the bulls battery is not really what you get. Brose feels fine to me with power off.......at least compared to the bosch which feels like cranking through taffy.

·
Spud State Rider
630 Posts
Thanks for your input. I am going to a Shimano demo and soon a Brose but from what i am reading Brose might be my next Ebike.
cool.... I have never had a chance to try the shimano motors. The only negative thing I have heard is that they are on the noisy side. That is another nice thing about the brose..........so quiet.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.