Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been away from XC racing for a few years...Racing DH and SD. But this season I was talked into racing the King of the Rockies XC race at Winter Park. Now I have the itch to race XC again, but I'm not quitting DH or SD either.

I raced a Jamis Dakar '02, and liked it. Now I have a 6 inch travel DB mission 3 and an 8 inch travel DB strike. I want something I can race XC on. It needs to be full squish since going down is my one big advantage over my competition. I can climb well and am in good shape so weight is not a huge issue. Having said that it should be under 30 lbs. Probably 4 inches (ish)?

I've looked at the Trek Fuel EX and the Fisher HiFi so far...Thanks everyone

So what are you riding in 2008 and why???

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Lot's of people are switching to 29ers. that's been my observation at the races.

I have a race bud who switched to a 29er and he loves it. He even races superD with it, and does well!! He says it smoothens the ride so much that he doens't use his Yeti ASR.

I'm debating weather to go Cannondale Rush, Giant Anthem, or Niner Air for a race bike next year.

Seems like the Niner will give great race performance for a lot, lot, lot less money. Eliminate the carbon and rear suspension and cost come down immensely.

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
can you lighten up the mission3?

otherwise, lots of bikes to choose from. i'd go test ride specialized xc platforms.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bcaronongan said:
can you lighten up the mission3?

otherwise, lots of bikes to choose from. i'd go test ride specialized xc platforms.
I've been thinking about this...I could either put a lighter set of wheels and tires on for racing and probably drop the 2 pounds I would need to get to 30 lbs. Currently I run 2.35 minion dhf tires, going to get 2.1 advantages or crossmarks for racing. Lighter bars, seat, and pedals....

Damn that would be cheaper than buying an entirely new bike. Still I like new stuff and 6 inches seems like overkill for xc racing.

keep the ideas coming.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Turner Flux!!!!!!

jhhubb said:
So I've been away from XC racing for a few years...Racing DH and SD. But this season I was talked into racing the King of the Rockies XC race at Winter Park. Now I have the itch to race XC again, but I'm not quitting DH or SD either.

I raced a Jamis Dakar '02, and liked it. Now I have a 6 inch travel DB mission 3 and an 8 inch travel DB strike. I want something I can race XC on. It needs to be full squish since going down is my one big advantage over my competition. I can climb well and am in good shape so weight is not a huge issue. Having said that it should be under 30 lbs. Probably 4 inches (ish)?

I've looked at the Trek Fuel EX and the Fisher HiFi so far...Thanks everyone

So what are you riding in 2008 and why???
The Turner Flux is what you are looking for. Nothing compares to that speed rocket in the market.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
adaml said:
This is what I'll be on:

Why? It's fast and plush.
What do you think about the short travel fork (80mm) and the steep head tube angle (72).

these numbers seem to make it a sketchy bike, but I haven't ridden one yet.

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
I'm staying loyal to my 06' Santa Cruz Superlight... she has been really good to me...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,143 Posts

One of these with a couple different parts.
Hugi hubs, flat bars, kenda tires, a egg beaters.

For a dually a wicked bike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll be on a GF Supercaliber, umm, honestly because I was in the market for a dualie and my LBS had a demo model for about half price. Got it about a month ago. I originally had my heart set on a Giant Anthem, but now that I'm acquainted with the Fisher, me likey very muchly. It handles well, climbs like a champ and the short travel FS is well-suited to the XC trails where I live.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ReD_tomato said:
I'm staying loyal to my 06' Santa Cruz Superlight... she has been really good to me...:thumbsup:

I am really diggin on the white superlight. My bro has a heckler and I've always liked the way it rides. The designs look similar...I wonder if they ride similar.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Asr-slc

My ASR has been flawless this year. 15 races with no mechanicals, and a couple trips to Moab. She's 22lbs of pure speed. Ya the new ASR-Full Carbon looks pretty sweet, but I don't know if 200 grams is worth getting rid of a proven machine. I think that bike is impossible to beat on the trails in CO.

I'll also do a couple longer races on my 29" SS, which is a GF Rig frame with everything else changed out.

·
n3rd
253 Posts
used2Bhard said:
I'll also do a couple longer races on my 29" SS, which is a GF Rig frame with everything else changed out.
All I rode this year was my Rig which I switched to a rigid fork (White Bros Carbon). I'm planning on buying a nicer SS frame for 08.. can't decide what though.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts