Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to invest in another Under Armour Cold Gear longsleeve, because I can't find my other one. Any suggestions on dif brands with same objective? It gets cold!

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Today it was my fleece pants/liners under my jeans, and a t-shirt that was covered by my 200 weight fleece jacket that was covered by my winter riding jacket.

Besides that I had my insulted hikers (goor to -20C), two pairs of light wool socks, my waterproof windproof gloves, and a fleece ski mask and goggles under my helmet.

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,899 Posts
If you don't mind shopping there, Wal-Mart has the equivalent this time of year. Starter brand and get a size larger than normal because they will shrink a little after a wash (even with no drying). I've stopped shopping there but back when I did I got a couple of them. One thing I did was cut a thumb hole right at the end of the sleeve cuff. It's never unraveled and the hole keeps the sleeve down in place which is very useful if your gloves don't have long cuffs.

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
Seems like it will be in the 20s here in north VA. So, I'll be riding in my trusty Mountain Hardwear(MH) Transition shirt(old version is thicker than the new versions- 6 years old) with a sleeveless drifit shirt from nike. The transition shirt originally was made to replace your base layer, mid layer, and wind blocker material. MH balaclava or MH butter beanie under the helmet. MH is not cheap but if you find the closeouts then you can't beat them. All my gear from them is still rocking after 6 years of use. Pearls bib with drifit tights over that. Pearl toe covers with a pair of smartwool socks underneath. Cold weather Mechanix Gloves. As long as I'm moving, I'm usually good to go.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
Top: lightweight Capilene base layer, polypropylene long underwear, wool jersey, Pearl Izumi Voltana heavy jersye, vest or windbreaker.

Bottom: Sugoi fleece-lined tights OR lycra shorts under long underwear, Pearl Izumi winter pants

Gloves: Novarra midweight gloves OR Performance neoprene. Ski gloves when it's really cold

Feet: Wool socks, under neoprene socks when it's really cold. Lake boots when it's under 30 degrees.

Head: synthetic buff for neck and face, heavy fleece cap from performance.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Two pair of cotton socks.

Lycra, long john's over the lycra and some beat up khaki pants over the long johns.

One white T-shirt, one long sleeve shirt over the T-shirt and my "water proof" Marmot jacket over all of that.

My helmet keeps that area pretty warm and its really bad I'll put the hood of the marmot jacket over my head and then put my helmet on over that, traps in heat.

If its REALLY bad(shouldn't even be out there at this point) I'll throw a 2nd long sleeve shirt on (making that 2 long sleeve shirts, one T-shirt and the marmot jacket) and a face protector to keep my neck and cheeks warm.

I have great circulation so my feet have never gotten cold yet with two pairs of cottom socks so my foot layers may be less then most.

Figuring out what layers to wear with the current temp and matching it to how much you will be exerting your body is almost a science.

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
lets see a cotton shirt, primaloft jacket(for colder days) hoodie (for warmer days), and a goretex jacket, fleece neck warmer, MEC Mid-Weight Power Dry Toque (beanie for u americans)

Primal Baggies, with MEC leg warmers, Wigwam merino wools socks, normal clipless shoes

My only issue is the family jewels getting cold...if ya know what I mean

DMR

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you're working as a wrench at a shop shouldn't you be able to pro-form or e.p. clothing? I would invest in a nice cold weather windproof riding jacket, I have a Giordana one that I got on a team order and it was downright toasty during my 14 degree ride last week.

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
Stumpy_Steve said:
I am looking to invest in another Under Armour Cold Gear longsleeve, because I can't find my other one. Any suggestions on dif brands with same objective? It gets cold!
I'm amazed to see posters listing cotton garments for cold weather. There's a very good reason that bath towels are made out of cotton. Cotton holds moisture (sweat) and will wick all the heat out of your body if you are forced to stand or sit around, as with an injury or mechanical problem. You might be fine while you are moving, but you could end up in trouble if something unexpected happens. To you folks, please switch to any wicking fabric like Capilene, Bergelene, wool, polypropylene or any of a host of others. I'd hate to read about you in the paper.

To the OP, lately, I have been moving away from synthetics and back to wool. Smartwool socks, or their less expensive clones from EMS, are a staple in my winter wardrobe. For undies, I really like Icebreaker merino wool tops. Unlike cotton, wool can stay warm when wet. If you think UnderArmor is expensive, try Icebreaker. But, I find mine worth the investment. Plus, it's supposed to be naturally odor resistant. I recently bought an UnderArmor ColdGear longsleeve mockneck, but I swear that shirt makes me cold the moment I put it on. This has happened twice, and the first time, I took it off because I felt positively chilled. I put on the woolie shirt instead and was warm. I don't know what it is about that stuff, but I won't buy it again. My old Lifa polypro never did that to me, either. So, my vote is for wool or other synthetic wicking undies. I found no magic in UnderArmor for the price. It has a nice feel and fits snug and sexy, but that's the end of it.

Kathy (no, I'm not an Icebreaker employee, just a fan)

·
Registered
237 Posts
EP something from Pearl or another vendor if your wrenching... If you really need to go bargain basement, hit Big Sally's. aka Salvation Army.... God knows what they'll have but it will be cheap. Look for a wool shirt and you'll be fine. Plus it will make you look mean not like the pretty boy branded crap. Function over fashion.

·
Registered
937 Posts
i find baselayers are the big difference. and mostly road riding these days, but this is what i'm using.

trying out new stuff for winter wardrobe, and I'm sold on Polartec Powerdry for a baselayer. got a silkweight for the first layer, and then a midweight zip neck above that. LLBean has them for pretty decent prices. light or heavy fleece jersey depending on temps(love the PI Vector) and a shell over that. went out the other day, around 30 degrees with a pretty good wind chill, and was toasty warm the whole time.

for the legs, just shorts, and fleece tights. wore my heavier PI tights, an older model similar to the current Amfibs, heavy fleece with a windblock front. anything above 40 degrees, they're almost too warm.

PI Amfib gloves, hands were perfectly warm. like the tights, anything warmer than 40, and these are too warm really. my only weak point is my feet, and I just might have to go for the Lake winter boots. heavy wool socks, neoprene socks, booties, my feet are still cold. although the other day they weren't too bad, tried the neoprene socks for the first time.

looking at adding a heavier weight Polartec or similar middle layer, as well as some of the Smartwool long sleeve layers. also looking at maybe trying some of the Craft stuff.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.