Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Daverham Lincoln
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I posted this question in the DRIVETRAIN forum and I got exactly GOOSE-EGG for answers... Anybody over here got some tips for me?

I have a Kona Scrap DJ bike, converted to SS because I like the simplicity of it all, but I've broken the chain twice because it's a sort of high gear (it has to be high for pedaling down into the jumps), but I really have to mash it hard on the way up - I can hear it straining. I've seen some super fatty-looking chains out there. What are those? Is that the answer to my problems?

My Questions:

- What are those called. Are those track bike chains? Is that what I want?
- Will they fit on my existing standard eighth-inch drivetrain/sprockets, etc
- Can you put them on/off with a normal chain tool?
- There's a big fat $10 KMC at the LBS (I just called), is that good?
- Will it make the night terrors go away?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I've seen single speed conversions where chain line is not good and has resulted in problems so check that among things. Also people that did not do a good job of putting their chain together. A SRAM or KMC quick-type link should help you there.

I use a cheap KMC BMX chain that's wider than 8 and 9 speed and works on any gear combo I've tried. I'll restate and say relatively cheap where I buy the plated version of the chains for most of my bikes because they clean up better.

Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
yeah, BMX or track chains are usually pretty hefty because they're designed for singlespeed. Some SS-specific rather hefty chains I've seen mentioned lately (looking myself) are:

KMC S-10 -- stainless version of KMC's standard singlespeed/bmx chain -- serious
e.g.: http://www.blueskycycling.com/product5125_35_-KMC-S10-Single-Speed-Chain.htm

SRAM PC-7X -- nickel plated (I think) version of their PC-1 chain
http://www.bikepartsplace.com/discount/chain-pc-7x/

Wipperman BMX-1G8 -- heavy duty BMX chains -- wipperman's in general are pretty strong
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11288

Shadow Conspiracy Interlock V2 -- another bmx chain, supposed to be really heavy
http://www.danscomp.com/464041.php

Hope that helps. The night terrors are from cobras, you should kill and eat one. You should read the descriptions of the chains for which tool you need, the Shadow Conspiracy one I know for instance needs a special tool.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
what does the chain look like where it breaks? are you snapping the plates in half? shearing off the end of the pins? both of a pair of side plates bent out exactly the same? busting the end of a plate? if it's not one of those, it's probably something to do with setup. either chain line or chain tension most likely. i don't think a higher gear puts more stress on a chain, it just how much force you're pedaling with.

·
Daverham Lincoln
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome info, thanks - half links! I've never seen that before... what's that all about? Advantage?

I forget what the break looked like - I don't remember any broken metal, so it must have pulled the plate(s) off the end of the pin. I guess it's possible it sheared the end off the pin. Hard to say.

·
I always bleed like this.
496 Posts
That wipperman is also heavier than Sasquatch. The KMC 710 and 610 are also VERY strong and not quit as heavy. Of course, it's a small difference when you consider your entire bike + you + gear.
The KMC's are popular though.
The one with the non-standard links is the 710.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
daverham said:
Do I really care how narrow the thing is? Most chains for sale seem say 8-speed or 9-speed... that's the overall width, isn't it? For a singlespeed does that matter?
9 speed, thinner plates than 8 speed because the cogset is closer together( each cog has a lesser gap between them thus the chain being a tad narrower.
Single speed chain the plates are wider and stronger. People are using 8 spd chains and not breaking them but it sounds like you need the wipperman chain.

·
Mark
204 Posts
wickerman1 said:
...Single speed chain the plates are wider and stronger...
Intuitively this is a true statement. But "stronger" how?
And by how much?

Seems to me that no matter how strong the rider that they are unlikely to overcome the shear strength of even the most wimpy side plate or pin.

Wider chains are definitely less flexible, but what is the failure mode of your chain breakage?

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
hoovermd said:
Intuitively this is a true statement. But "stronger" how?
And by how much?

Seems to me that no matter how strong the rider that they are unlikely to overcome the shear strength of even the most wimpy side plate or pin.

Wider chains are definitely less flexible, but what is the failure mode of your chain breakage?
they dont stretch as easily thus less prone to breakage... but the OP seems to be vreaking chains easily so I'm guessing setup. I'm 250 lbs and torque the crap out of my bikes and never broken a chain ever.

·
Daverham Lincoln
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe I just had one that was poorly installed - it was a used bike. I'll get a fatty chain just because they look cool and it will make me feel confident that it will not break - install it properly and I'll probably be good to go. Thanks for all the input and recommendations. I had never hear of Wipperman and some of those other brands, so I'll look into those after work today at the LBS.

·
Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
799 Posts
i use the Shadow Conspiracy 1/2 link chains shown above. they're great, especially if you only have a short amount of movement in your effective Chain Stya length (Be it from a smallish EBB, or and Eno or something)
I hve broken a few, but only b/c i tend to use them for too long, and just wait for them to fail.
The only special tool is a Park Chain breaker for BMX cahins, it's got a larger pin to match the oversized pin on the Chains.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts