Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm into flowing single track. My understanding is that Oregon has lots of flowing single track. Right? Wrong? What part of the state has the best flowing single tack? What time of year would be the best to vist?

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
What are the trails like in Oregon??? We got it all plus some awsome views (and beer). Where's the best trails? Well, PDX is going to say they got them and Ashland will say the same but the folks around Eugene know they are wrong. Your best bet for the best selection of singletrack will land you around the Oakridge area. The best time to visit/ride is "always" but if you're particular ( a Jayboer) then the best time is mid August thru mid October.

Check with the Disciples of Dirt <www.disciplesofdirt.org>, a Eugene area mtb club (though we are everywhere) before you visit. We're pretty good at showing out of towners a good time. Also check the Mountainbike Oregon events for a weekend of organized fun.

MtBike Oregon sponsors this Oregon forum. Go ahead and give it a click.

Caz

·
Ya Darn Tootin'!
50 Posts
My humble thoughts on OR vs. WNC

What are the trails like in OR?
...Depends on what you're comparing them to.

I'm guessing by the link at the bottom of your thread that you come from Western NC?
Asheville-Johnny Cashville- area?

I used to live there (heck, maybe we've even seen each other before at Bent Creek or out in Pisgah.....), so that's a reason that I'm responding.
I've been in the PNW now for about 6 years.
But, I've been back to visit friends and love riding in WNC.
Even went back to do the ORAMM in '05. Fun stuff.

Here are some thoughts of mine on how I would compare what I know of OR trails to what I know of western NC trails.
Keep in mind that I live in Eugene now and ride mostly the Oakridge/Central Cascade area. ....and that I lived in Asheville and mostly rode Pisgah.

Let's see;

In general, it's smoother here.
Soft duff soil out here.
Bumpier in WNC.

Much longer climbs here.
Higher elevation, bigger mountains here.
Much longer SingleTrack descents here.
ummm........Sweet, long, flowing, true single-track descents.
.....I dream of Tire mt. sometimes.
Much longer rides in general here, because to make loops out here you have to be in the woods for most of a day.

Many more people on the trails there.
Many fewer riders out in the woods here.
You see a rider out here in the woods and you're excited to see someone finally.

Much more trail maintenance needed here.
Shorter riding season here.
...but there are places to ride year round.
In general, you can find really good stuff anytime from April to November.
More rain here. ......really, more rain here.

Better BBQ there.
Better sushi here.
.......Many fewer people calling me a "Yankee" here.

-TadPole

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW thanks for all the info

Yes, I live in the Asheville area and I ride Pisgah every weekend. I'm originally from New York so I get the dang Yankee thing all the time. I usually ride about 15-25 miles a weekend. Would I be suffering with these long Oregon climbs. I don't mind climbing but if I wanted to ride every day for a week I think I would burn out by day 3. Maybe a tour company or some kind of shuttle service would maximize my fun.

Can't imagine a place with more rain than Pisgah.
Smoother trails are fine as long as the single track is tight and flowing fun. In all honesty Pisgah is sometimes over my head technical with the rocks and drops.

So does everybody agree that the best riding is in Oakridge? And the best time to visit is August thru October? What so special about that time of year?

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Maida7 said:
Smoother trails are fine as long as the single track is tight and flowing fun. In all honesty Pisgah is sometimes over my head technical with the rocks and drops.

So does everybody agree that the best riding is in Oakridge? And the best time to visit is August thru October? What so special about that time of year?
Yes the Oakridge area is the "best" general area for rides in OR. Many of the "best" trails are near Oakridge. You will find everything from buffed and rolling singletrack to rocky/rooty/off-camber/hairy stuff depending on what you want. That is one of the reasons Oakridge is "best." If you don't like to get steep and rooty/rocky there are options up there. If you like 'em tech and a bit gnarly...options abound.

Climbing or shuttles are a way of life out here. Hell, sometimes you shuttle and *still* have a carpload of climbing to do...

Anyway, no matter your skill level or tastes you will find something durned near perfect for you in/near Oakridge. I don't think the "best" trail in OR is in Oakridge, but there is not another place in OR that puts you so close to so many great (or really good) trails.

Like Caz del Loco said: look up the DOD and/or check to see if MBO works for you.

Part of the reason the time Caz mentioned is "best" is the snow is gone, the skeeters are leaving and the hunters are not yet around. The weather is killer in June (disclaimer: typically...) but there may be snow on some of the more excellent high mountain trails *and* the bugs tend to take the fun out of breaks on many trails.

Good luck. Damn yankees...

Brock...(BoSox fan...);)

·
Singletrack Addict
1,167 Posts
Yes

Maida7 said:
So does everybody agree that the best riding is in Oakridge? And the best time to visit is August thru October?
I live in PDX, but resided in Eugene 12-ish years and rode the Oakridge area often. When I have a long weekend, I usually start scheming on how to get down to Oakridge or that other "famous" McTrail.
We do have great riding up here, but I won't start any flame wars claiming it's the "best". (But there aren't too many places on this planet where you can ride on the flanks of a live volcano;) )

What so special about that time of year?
What Brock and Caz said.

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
Depends on where you are, and what you like to do. I'm in Bend, which has some killer stuff, but it tends to get a bit dusty during the summer, and the snow sticks around in the higher elevations.

There is some killer winter riding just east of here out in the desert, but from what I understand it's a bit on the blazin' side during the summer.

I have been to Oakridge, and everything that the guys say above is definately true. And check out MTBOregon....I went this past year and it was a blast.

I started riding in the GW Nat Forest in VA, then lived on the Central Coast of CA for a few years, and have since migrated up here to Oregon. You can find kick-arse singletrack anywhere you go, just depends on where you look.

But, for the record, if you're looking for fast, flowing, singletrack, Bend's right up your alley.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,661 Posts
cazloco said:
...<www.disciplesofdirt.org>

MtBike Oregon sponsors this Oregon forum. Go ahead and give it a click.

Caz
Mountain Bike Oregon... yeah... THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Check out the videos on this here site: Mountain Bike Oregon. The "Day Cam" video will give you a good taste of the kind of flow Oregon trails have. Much of this footage was shot around Oakridge.

And as you can see by the night cam video, our trails are fun at night, too. Most of the night cam video was shot at Whypass, the secret singletrack stash of the Disciples of Dirt.

Look up us! :D

--Sparty

From the 2006 Sawtooth Struggle:

</www.disciplesofdirt.org>

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Maida7 said:
Well.. Our weather patterns are such that we get very little rain between July -> October, it takes about a month for the soil to dry out then the best riding at high altitude happens after the first frost (September) kills off the Mosquitoes up there.

Starting in November it generally starts raining and doesn't let up much until mid June.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,661 Posts
Maida7 said:
...And the best time to visit is August thru October? What so special about that time of year?
Here's what's special about that time of year:
  • The trail clearing crews have removed all the blowdown from the previous winter by then. (It takes time to clear all the trails.)
  • The trails have dried out following a typical wet Oregon winter.
  • The mosquitos are gone.
  • I like early September after Labor Day best because that's when the kids are back in school, "camping season" is over, the days are warm and still relatively long, nights are cool & clear and the woods/trails usually feel practically deserted.
  • Plus by then I'm finally back in shape and able to enjoy Oregon's epic rides most. :nono:
--Sparty

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey everyone, the info on this thread is really good! Great replies, btw, what are you peeps rinding full suspension or HT? I moved to OR 3 years ago from Houston and I am looking to get back into MTBing. I am almost done rebuilding my Trek 8000, do you think this would be good for the singletrack trails you speak of?

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
We ride 'em all...

jimsbbc said:
Hey everyone, the info on this thread is really good! Great replies, btw, what are you peeps rinding full suspension or HT? I moved to OR 3 years ago from Houston and I am looking to get back into MTBing. I am almost done rebuilding my Trek 8000, do you think this would be good for the singletrack trails you speak of?
You'll find a bit of everything out here. rigid/hardtail/squish...

I do the singlespeed thing sometimes and the 6" full squish other days. It's mostly the single during the winter just for the sake of simplicity and ease of maintenance. Coming from CO it seems like there are even more SS riders here than there, by a lot.

Anyway, you can ride any mtb you like on any trail you like of course. I have a deep belief it's about enjoying what you do and whatever bike/gear allows that to happen is fine.

If you are in the Eugina area you should hook-up with the Disciples Of Dirt (links are all over the place in this thread). You will have a good time!

Welcome back and enjoy the ride!

Brock...

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info. Oakridge in late summer looks fantastic. At this point it's just a pipe dream. I've got to work out the financing and explain to my wife that I'm ditching her and the kids to play in the woods for a week.

·
I got nothin'
739 Posts
Maida7 said:
Thanks for all the info. Oakridge in late summer looks fantastic. At this point it's just a pipe dream. I've got to work out the financing and explain to my wife that I'm ditching her and the kids to play in the woods for a week.
When you figure out how to do this, please post the answer for the rest of us. ;)

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,661 Posts
I did it

hydrogeek said:
When you figure out how to do this, please post the answer for the rest of us. ;)
Not to answer for anybody else, but if you're willing to make a permanent choice between the wife and the woods, and you choose the latter (including all the legalities and financial consequences of such a decision), you'll wind up with the woods and only the woods, sure as shootin'.

Anyway, I ride as much as I want to ride these days. Too bad I can no longer afford to travel... :rolleyes:

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose..."

--Sparty

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.