Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are soooo many trails, I have no idea where to go :/

I've seen Tiddlywinks/Funner pop up a bunch of times so I'm going to ride that tomorrow.

Want to do rides with 1-3k ft gain, and easy road climbs are a plus. What are the must do descents?

·
Registered
68 Posts
All of the descents could easily be climbed too. Tiddlywinks is fun. Phil's is fun. Bend is hardtail territory, it's not road climbs followed by big descents. Very much XC. Many of the trails are very similar. What bike are you going to be on?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ibis Tranny 26b singlespeed with a 140 mm fork or Nimble 9 singlespeed (need to replace the valve stem after riding half of Dread and Terror on North Umpqua Trail before bailing, absolutely awful).

All right, I'll add Phil's for another day (decided I need to ease off on the higher intensity fun riding and build a base with low intensity :/) and play around on ridewithgps to find the flattest trail climbs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
As noted above, the best stuff is higher up.

1) Funner/Tiddly for classic go-to after work loop.
2) North Fork is a classic climb. Beautiful.
-Go early mid-week to avoid the hikers! (Flagline is nearly as good for climbing)
3) Batchy West XC through Met-Win Cascade Lakes is an underrated xc descent.
-For a longer (~50 mi) loop park at Wanoga and ride
up to the start through Ridge Loop and Swampy/Dutchman, finish through
Edison-Lava/Dinah Moe (fun)/Kiwa Butte/Tiddly.
4) Flagline Access/Met-Win Swampy down to Farewell is gold!
5) Best loop in town, hands down, is Northfork/Met-Win/Flagline/Southfork

Also, The Grey Butte loop out of Smith Rocks is another of my favorites for this time of year. roughly 20 miles and 3,000' of climbing. Climb Burma Road, do Grey Butte counter-clockwise, descend Summit Trail switchbacks. Go early to beat the crowds (and the heat).

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've decided I don't like Bend riding much especially compared to Ashland, which was excellent so I'm going to focus on finding rock climbing partners instead and maybe do some road rides.

Did Tiddlywinks yesterday and it simultaneously had a bunch of trudging through snow at the top and dusty conditions at the bottom.

·
Registered
18,807 Posts
I've decided I don't like Bend riding much especially compared to Ashland, which was excellent so I'm going to focus on finding rock climbing partners instead and maybe do some road rides.

Did Tiddlywinks yesterday and it simultaneously had a bunch of trudging through snow at the top and dusty conditions at the bottom.
I told you that it's way too early for Tiddlywinks and you went anyway.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,547 Posts
As noted above, the best stuff is higher up.
5) Best loop in town, hands down, is Northfork/Met-Win/Flagline/Southfork
Agree wholeheartedly.

I live between Eugene and Oakridge and get a lot of west side riding. I'll occasionally get over to Bend to ride but typically not until September when the bugs are dead, the kids are in school, the tourists are gone and the high country trails are open. To me, most of the low country trails around Bend have a sameness about them that I find boring.

I find a couple of things about Bend mountain biking interesting. First is how many riders from other states visit Oregon specifically to ride Bend. I guess it's worthwhile when we consider the scenery, nightlife, vibe, other recreational ops, etc. But as for off-road cycling specifically, to me Bend just ain't The Place.

Second thing is how many Bend riders I encounter whenever I head up to my own backyard (Oakridge). Evidently many mountain bikers who live in Bend feel the need to find terrain and tread that are different than their home turf. In this case, Oakridge IS The Place. What's wrong with Oakridge? No Deschutes River, no Drake Park, no High Desert Museum, mediocre golfing, only one pub, zero vibe, zero shopping, etc. - in short, Oakridge is a cultural backwater. But the mountain biking! Oh, the mountain biking!

One final thing to mention about both Bend and Oakridge (and pretty much all of western and central Oregon. We've got TREES! When I was younger I took Oregon's trees for granted. Then I visited Moab, GJ, Bootleg Canyon and places like this and discovered sooo many places in the west that are devoid of trees. Whichever side of the Cascades we may live on, we're mighty lucky to have forests, lakes and pristine rivers & streams.
=sParty

Edit three days later: Returning to this post, I must apologize for maligning both Bend and Oakridge. I have dear friends in both towns and I like them both (both towns that is, plus the many friends in each). I particularly wince when I see that I called Oakridge a cultural backwater. This was meant relative to Bend, not in its own right. And as for Oakridge only having one pub, well this may be true but I love the Brewer's Union Local 180! Anyway as usual it appears I unintentionally stepped in it again through thoughtless words. Sorry Oakridge and Bend. Honestly, despite impressions given above, I love you both. Oh yeah, I still love trees, too! And bikes. Yeah, bikes & trees & Oakridge & Bend.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts

I'm with ya....my suggestion is to follow Sparticus' advice for the most part. I just went to Ashland last year for the 1st time and was so impressed we're working it into this years trip as well. After riding in Oakridge, we're riding Olallie and doing one ride in Bend to hook up with a friend of ours who moved up there. We're then moving on to the Mt Hood area.

·
Registered
18,807 Posts
I'm with ya....my suggestion is to follow Sparticus' advice for the most part. I just went to Ashland last year for the 1st time and was so impressed we're working it into this years trip as well. After riding in Oakridge, we're riding Olallie and doing one ride in Bend to hook up with a friend of ours who moved up there. We're then moving on to the Mt Hood area.
Right on cue, lol.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
TL;DR: Bend is rad.

I told you that it's way too early for Tiddlywinks and you went anyway.
More:

That's funny. My friends did the same thing Friday, I scouted the lot and told everyone Funner looked clear but Tiddlywinks had snow. Then caught a Cog Wild shuttle and rode down from Wanoga via Funner to Storm King up to Whoops to Phil's to Marvin's to the bike path to my room. Meanwhile they ignored me and shuttled Tiddlywinks using 4613 and didn't get down until dark.

Saturday was several Funner laps with a group that dwindled as we kept going. Fewer kids and dogs as the day progressed. Last lap included lower Storm King; best conditions I've ever ridden it with berms you could still put your weight into and not blow up, and the water crossings (4 on the same trail, in Bend!) were a delight.

Sunday I saw Cog Wild post that Whoops got a polish on Saturday, and my group planned to meet at the bottom with cars then pedal the road. I got an earlier start and did the pleasant morning climb up Ben's, then Pinedrops. They bailed on me so I got in two solo laps, second one I had a couple from Portland follow me down for their first ride. Stoke train. I still haven't cleaned the second to last big gap-ish jump or the roller doubles in the trees or the log or stump gaps, but it was the best Whoops day of my life for sure. Even had a fun run down Kent's, which I haven't ridden in years. Some actual sidehill on that one!

Food at Boneyard, Crux, Sparrow, & Spork, plus a pasta potluck Saturday night. Came home with crowlers of Hop A Wheelie, Hop Venom, and RPM.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
P.S. I couldn’t find Blue Man but I tried really hard to find that alligator in the rocks. I signaled in all the roundabouts and high fived many builders on Saturday AM. I yielded to riders and heckled people in the rocks on Funner. I exited Sparrow Bakery properly and tried to keep my tires in the tread center of the two snow patches I found. I dutifully admired the weird driftwood lining the corners on Kent’s. And I do like the higher elevation trails too, especially Flagline or both big Met-Win routes (Happy Valley to Mrazek or around the back of Bachelor) from Dutchman.

·
Registered
18,807 Posts
Nice riding!

Based on your trail selections, you rode right past Blueman. The alligator is in plain sight but if you’re not looking right at it you’ll probably roll right by. I can’t believe no one else has found it yet!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nice work on the Bend weekend. There is rain in the local forecast this week so there should be some brown pow to be had, Rode lower Tyler's after work today. Had a great time and rail will make it really good.

Enjoy

·
Registered
73 Posts
How are the trails going to look late next week based on the current forecast?

Spending a couple days on the coast and a few days in Bend with the gf and parents and would love to get a ride or 2 in. I just don’t remember wet weather riding after 6+ years in the AZ desert.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.