Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
RideDirt
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So me , the fiance, and my cousin are heading out to Colorado for a road trip and we will be staying for about 1 week. We plan on coming towards the end of the month , so the last week in April. What are some nice epic trails to ride out here so this way in the short time we can get some time on the best out there?

Will any downhill bike parks be open as well or ?

None of us ever been to Colorado so we are pretty excited to see what it has to offer. Besides biking , i think we want to hit up some really good spots to hike around as well. Just trying to get the best out of Colorado within a short period of time. So any help is appreciated.

This trip out here is to see if there might be some potential for a permanent move from NJ :). Well see tho.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
...None of us ever been to Colorado so we are pretty excited to see what it has to offer...
Good news is, there is a fair amount of good riding open and thawed out by end of April, bad news is you are about 2 or even 2.5 months too early to see most of Colorado's truly iconic rides.

You see, in the Colorado mountains, Spring isn't necessarily defined as The End of Winter.

End of April is pretty much peak season for Fruita/Grand Junction on the far west edge of CO. That I would call some of the best in CO. Also a place way down in the southwest corner called Phil's World near Cortez, CO. Assuming you would move to a metro area if you moved here, like Denver, you should ride Buffalo Creek near Denver to see the best of what would be available to you if you moved to Denver.

So, executive summary, you are going to be here way too early to really see a significant portion of the must ride trails here.

·
Registered
363 Posts
There is a lot of snow out there still. A lot of the ski resorts are extending their seasons until late April. You won't get any of the good high country riding in at that time of year. Like Tom says, you are a few months too early.

·
RideDirt
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea , i know its early but the trip is more so to check out the areas in Colorado to see if it would be something we might like to move to. I throw in the biking because we are there and might as well take advantage of what we can. The timing sucks to come there but hey who knows, i might be a permanent resident just in time for the peak season :) .

Well if we can maybe reschedule the time to come out there, what month is best to really see its beauty and ride everything ?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I personally like September. Fall colors starting to come out. Not getting chased out of the high country by monsoons and lightning.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Come back end of June.. but even then rides like monarch crest are a toss up. Just move here, no one who bikes hates it. Wait..no...its terrible.. I hate this place... dont move here....

·
RideDirt
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Come back end of June.. but even then rides like monarch crest are a toss up. Just move here, no one who bikes hates it. Wait..no...its terrible.. I hate this place... dont move here....

Lol well I would love to just move there but I need to get a job lined up , a place to stay , and need to pay my bills unfortunately. That's why we want to take a look , see what the economy and demographics are like in Colorado. Ideally I want to open up my own pizzeria out there , it's just a matter of location and demand. I just sold my business here in NJ and want to get out of this state soon. I been doing some research but it seems like a **** load of trails are available which is perfect.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
1 out 1 in right? If I get a good enough offer from Burnaby, you can take my place here in CO. You might have to Dexter someone to get your chic in tho.

·
a dad
2,920 Posts
Lol well I would love to just move there but I need to get a job lined up , a place to stay , and need to pay my bills unfortunately. That's why we want to take a look , see what the economy and demographics are like in Colorado. Ideally I want to open up my own pizzeria out there , it's just a matter of location and demand. I just sold my business here in NJ and want to get out of this state soon. I been doing some research but it seems like a **** load of trails are available which is perfect.
I grew up in NJ and moved to CO for college, that was 25 years ago, best decision of my life.

We could always use a good pizza joint, still not many that can replicate true east coast pizza.

Cost of living is much cheaper in CO. House taxes are rising, but nothing like NJ. Car insurance is cheap too. You can still find reasonable places to live if you don't have to live in the super hip spots, but it ain't cheap to buy or rent right now.

Hope it works our for you..

·
RideDirt
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I grew up in NJ and moved to CO for college, that was 25 years ago, best decision of my life.

We could always use a good pizza joint, still not many that can replicate true east coast pizza.

Cost of living is much cheaper in CO. House taxes are rising, but nothing like NJ. Car insurance is cheap too. You can still find reasonable places to live if you don't have to live in the super hip spots, but it ain't cheap to buy or rent right now.

Hope it works our for you..
Hey thanks a lot , i hope it works out too! Yeah NJ is just getting a bit out of control with the taxes and rent out here. I have been doing some reading about Colorado and it seems like the rents have been going up and some towns have jacked up their prices to buy homes. Im guessing it is from all the growth that Colorado has been getting.

I used to live in TX for about 14 years, then moved to NJ and been stuck here for a good 17 years now. Im looking to slow things down a bit, get my monies worth , and enjoy a lower cost of living while doing what i love which is mountain biking as well as being outdoors.

·
a dad
2,920 Posts
Hey thanks a lot , i hope it works out too! Yeah NJ is just getting a bit out of control with the taxes and rent out here. I have been doing some reading about Colorado and it seems like the rents have been going up and some towns have jacked up their prices to buy homes. Im guessing it is from all the growth that Colorado has been getting.

I used to live in TX for about 14 years, then moved to NJ and been stuck here for a good 17 years now. Im looking to slow things down a bit, get my monies worth , and enjoy a lower cost of living while doing what i love which is mountain biking as well as being outdoors.
my parents still live in NJ and I can't believe how high their taxes are, over $6k a year on a maybe $400k house (and thats all because of its location, its not nice, bought for $34k in 78). I have a house worth probably more than that and the taxes are less than half of it.

Are you interested in the mountains or a metro area for living? I have done both and each has its pluses and minuses, but certainly metro area is easier (at least for me) to make a living and that is mostly why I moved to the denver area. Turns out, I like it, miss the mountains, but I like making a living too.

·
RideDirt
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my parents still live in NJ and I can't believe how high their taxes are, over $6k a year on a maybe $400k house (and thats all because of its location, its not nice, bought for $34k in 78). I have a house worth probably more than that and the taxes are less than half of it.

Are you interested in the mountains or a metro area for living? I have done both and each has its pluses and minuses, but certainly metro area is easier (at least for me) to make a living and that is mostly why I moved to the denver area. Turns out, I like it, miss the mountains, but I like making a living too.
Crooks i tell ya, i have a 1800 sq ft built in the 1960s house and i pay 11k in taxes in a decent town, nothing special. Worth in the 350k region but still its just crazy , i dont even use the damn schools either lol.

Well i am like you, i like to make a living so for living i would like to be somewhere in the Denver region. I dont mind driving an hour or 2 to get to some nice trails. Job and priorities always come first, then the toys :)

·
a dad
2,920 Posts
11k? wow.. where? I grew up in Metuchen.

Denver is great for access, just stay west of I-25 and you have access to many trails within 15-30 minutes..

·
RideDirt
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
11k? wow.. where? I grew up in Metuchen.

Denver is great for access, just stay west of I-25 and you have access to many trails within 15-30 minutes..
Oh nice, well im in Passaic County which has high taxes but the town is called Bloomingdale. Great , i will keep that info in mind while searching around and visiting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts