Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of having a frame built that would be run gears to start but I'd like to have the option of running it SS. I know that the chainline and the BB position/goeometry can be an issue, but is there any other disadvantage to running an EBB with gears?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
cocheese said:
I am thinking of having a frame built that would be run gears to start but I'd like to have the option of running it SS. I know that the chainline and the BB position/goeometry can be an issue, but is there any other disadvantage to running an EBB with gears?

I wouldn't call EBB postion an issue, it's an advantage - choose your BB height/position. One issue - your front derailleur will need adjusting.

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point pacman. When I say "geared" I'll probably run it 1x9. That would take the whole front derailleur adjustment out of the picture. I just keep thinking to myself that if I'm going to have a custom frame made, I'd like to be able to run it geared (either Rohloff or conventional) or singlespeed or fixed for that matter!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
good thinking......i have my El Fo made with EBB and rear der hanger option.....not sure I will ever use it, but its there. I had subtle zip tie cable guides made for the rear der so they are not as obtrusive as normal cable stops, which i like. I too plan on 1x9 (or 1x3) so did not bother with stops for a front der.

·
Registered
721 Posts
What Fo' said

I'm running my EBB blacksheep frame as a geared bike, and I'm not having any problems with it. The only downside is that you need to have the cable stops on the frame, so it isn't quite as clean-looking as a non-geared setup. Because my frame has a curved top tube, we ran the shifter cables underneath the downtube. With this routing, the cable stops are pretty unobtrusive - I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm thinking that the cable stops will be ok. I'd rather them not be there when I'm running it SS, but it is the tradeoff to have the versatitily.

TurnerConvert, thanks for the tip on under the top tube cable stops. Did you have to play with the front derailleur to get it aligned correctly?

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Disadvantages? Front derailer repositioning if you readjust the EBB, and weight.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
cocheese said:

Another interesting thread! I'm planning something similar myself, who are you having build your frame?

·
www.badgercycles.com
309 Posts
Chainstay tire clearence

With the Ebb your actual chainstay length is shorter. Lets say your shooting for 17.75" chainstay length. With the Ebb shell you have to cut the chainstays shorter. This gives you less bend to work with in relation to the 14.25" needed from the dropouts to the widest part. With standard oval s-bend or single bend chainstays you run out of length from the apex of the bend to the bb shell. If you make your own chainstays with more bend then you have a good chance for chainring contact. You can clear a 2.1 fine but if your looking forward to the 2.3's coming out it could be an issue. Of course this all can be solved with 18.5" chainstays but that too long IMO. Plus some of the ebb shells out there are only 64mm wide which really hurts.

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks glowboy & Rob. I had not thought about the chainstays being shorter because of the larger EBB shell and how that impacts the chainring clearance. Damn, what can't these things be easy?!

Just J, at the moment I'm thinking of Eriksen, Black Sheep, or DeSalvo. As yet I'm undecided on exatly who I'll go with.

·
Registered
249 Posts
ti tire clearance

cocheese said:
Thanks glowboy & Rob. I had not thought about the chainstays being shorter because of the larger EBB shell and how that impacts the chainring clearance. Damn, what can't these things be easy?!

Just J, at the moment I'm thinking of Eriksen, Black Sheep, or DeSalvo. As yet I'm undecided on exatly who I'll go with.
I hope this isn't too spammy, but heres my idea.
I was concerned about tire clearance when I built my first ti frame. I solved the problem with a lot of time consuming work. My ebb shell is 71mm. The eccentric itself is 73mm. There is lots of clearance for tire and chainrings. Good luck with your project.
cheers, Wade
[email protected]

Attachments

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
Looks good Wade. Nice welds! What about some kind of wacky design like elevated chainstays or bent downtubes or something. You know, get all JeffJones on the problem.

-M

·
1,146 Posts
Are you pshyched even though I used it as an noun: (A way of thinking prescribed by the design philosophy or morphology of Jeff Jones)?

Here's the verb form: "Wade got out the tube-bending jig and JeffJonesed it up a little."
Adverb: "Wade was feeling JeffJonesey one afternoon and made a really weird bike frame."
Adjective: "Pretty soon Vulture bikes are going to be selling for JeffJones prices and Aquaholic will want one."

-M

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yes, I'm somewhat embarassed at my lack of attentiveness with picking out the grammar. I guess your statement implied that "Jeff Jones" could be used to do more than just identify some dude with a big beard who builds crazy bikes (and everyone else with that name). So I submit this gerund form:

He was JeffJonesing the tubes prior to mitering them.

·
1,146 Posts
Perfect Participle: "The last ss ride I went on was literally swimming in jeffjonesed frames. I felt so straight and uncompliant."

To be fair you can do the same thing with Vulture. Examples:

I went Vulturing the other day with the whole wake(group name for more than one vulture).
I sent my old bike frame up to Bend to get Wade to Vulturize the bottom bracket.
I was feeling Vultury the other day so I rode a fixie monster corss bike off a 4 foot drop.

-M

·
Registered
249 Posts
Vulturing...

Has to do with eating things that maybe aren't wanted somehow.
That is how I got the name Vulture.
So lets stop all this foolishness and let Cocheese have his thread back. To answer the orig question, I have run front derailers with ebb a fair amount no problem. Main disadvantage is the extra weight of the eccentric. Other than looks (totally personal here), sliders offer a viable option that I think compliments Ti.
cheers, Wade

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
My Vulture SS/EBB was gearified by the Vulture himself....the only disadvantage I can report running gears with EBB is not being able to ride the bike while it was being Vulturized....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.