Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I can’t afford to rush out and buy my dreambike – and actually, I don’t even know what it is. I’m riding a newish Cannondale Gemini and am about to embark on the slow process of adding new bling bits to it.

Whilst the bike may not suit all (and possibly not even me – it will probably go for a lighter 6 inch thing at some stage), I did just want to pose a hypothetical question; if money wasn’t the biggest issue what are the best and lightest parts you would add to your bike?

What I’d ideally like is a list of the best parts (and best for me means light as well – this is the all mountain thread – but it has to withstand some decent abuse)

I’d be interested in what people say.

I’ll kick of the list but freely admit I have no real idea.

Cassette: Sram PG-990XO
Rear derailleur: Sram XO
Shifters: Sram XO trigger
Brakes: Probably Avid Juicy 7’s, but I hear they have a new model which will usurp them.
Bottom bracket – no idea (like some suggestions as I'm in the market)
Stem: possibly Roox (just for bling value.
Headset:
Crankset: Raceface Next LP (the carbon ones)
Rims
Handlebars
etc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Bottom bracket: Shimano XT HT2 or RF X-type
Rear mech: Sram X9, not convinced about the X0 for AM with the carbon knuckle.
Stem: Thomson Elite
Headset: King
Bars: Easton EA70 monkey bar riser
Wheels: Mavic Crossmax XL

I find all the above are strong and relatively light. Tyres also make a huge difference to how "heavy" your bike will feel. Millions to choose from, but it should be your first consideration when contemplating an upgrade.
 

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
Joined
·
913 Posts
As price is no objective and light weigh important: I think...

Rear dearailleur - Sram Xo with alum cage
Front Der - XTR or XT
Crank / BB - Shimano XT - XTR
Cassette - Shinano XT - XTR - lighter than Sram - no noticeable performance difference
Seatpost - Thomson Masterpiece
Bar - Easton EA -70 alum - Carbon EC70
Brakes - Light and durable - Magura Marta's
Seat - does not apply - get the best one that fits your butt. ;) WTB's are goood...
Wheelset - Crossmax XL or Custom built - Rims could be Mavic XM819, DT 5.1 laced with DT or wheelsmith double butted spokes (some may prefer other) to CK, Hadley or Hope hubs. Those Industry Nine and Easton looks good too.
Quik releases - Hope all around or Salsa
Stem - Thomson
Shifters - Sram XO (maybe the new shimano XTR) we'll see how they perform
Tires - good luck - too many
Pedals - Mallet mag - Candy SL -?
Fork - Pike Air, Nixon Intrinsic Air- Fox 36 depending on bike..
Rear Shock - Cane Creek Double Barrel titanium coil -Swinger 4 way - DHX Air -
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Budget is pretty open. I’m not going to do all of this at once – it will take a while, so I was just after a list or discussion of what people think are the best bits.

uktrailmonster, are the Shimano bottom brackets that good?

2 votes for the Crossmax XL wheelset – better look at them.

Love a Cane Creek rear shock – they certainly fit the bill, but only come in limited sizes unfortunately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
pwg said:
uktrailmonster, are the Shimano bottom brackets that good?

2 votes for the Crossmax XL wheelset - better look at them.
The Shimano XT external bottom brackets are excellent. Combined with the XT Hollowtech II cranks, they're much stiffer and lighter than a traditional internal bottom bracket. Only thing I don't like are the XT chainrings, which are made of cheese. Replace those with Race Face rings and you end up with a great setup.

The Crossmax XL wheels are very stiff and light too, ideal for AM. They get mixed reviews, especially in the US for some reason. People seem to either love or hate them. Usual complaints are non-standard spokes and fittings, dodgy freehubs and narrow rims. No problems with mine after 2 years and they still look great. The UST rims work great too. Highly recommended.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've just had a look at the Gravity Dropper – yep I want one of them - apart from the weight penalty, I can see myself loving it.

One question though, is it a hassle to turn your bike over as the lever is on-top of the handlebar? I often take off tyres etc with the bike upside down.
 

·
011100000110111101101111
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
Brakes: Probably Avid Juicy 7's, but I hear they have a new model which will usurp them.

Usurp... you just take ur SATs or GREs??? :skep:

This is a wild guess, but I bet if you throw out 2 of ur chain rings, front derailleur, shifter, and
cables and replace it with this chainguide: http://www.gamutusa.com/g25.html
you will a lot. Mine felt lighter anyway. :thumbsup:
I also gave up my wtb rocket v race for a less comfy titanium Intense Spider saddle for the weight. I'd go with one of wtb's titatium saddles though.
Also, any relatively well rolling tires will help alot, or a less tacky rubber (specialized enduro pro)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
pwg said:
I've just had a look at the Gravity Dropper - yep I want one of them - apart from the weight penalty, I can see myself loving it.

One question though, is it a hassle to turn your bike over as the lever is on-top of the handlebar? I often take off tyres etc with the bike upside down.
Gravity dropper is great - worth its weight in gold. Never had a problem with the lever, but I never turn the bike over. Why do you have to do that? It's just as easy the right way up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Gravity Dropper will be the single best thing you add to your AM bike....I love mine and anyone else who ever sees it out on the trail immediately wants one after trying it!!!

Second best is the E-13 DRS. No more derailled chains, period. With a 36/22 gives good range.

Third best - tyres. I vote for either Schwalbe Big Betty (850gms) 2.4", super tacky (gooey gluey), or 2.35 Minions ST.

After that, the normal finish kit, Thomson stem, CK headset, CK hubs, etc. I vote for Shimano cassettes and mechs (XT level), SRAM shifters (X9 level), SRAM hollow-pin chains. Rims I find make little difference, but currently rocking the Sun singletracks.

If money no object, then I want the Ohlins (CC) Double barrel shock, with a Ti spring. Oh, and some Ti springs for the Fox 36 VAN would be good too.....

Pedals - PD-M647. Always. The most reliable/durable caged SPD out there.
 

·
Its got what plants crave
Joined
·
5,933 Posts
uktrailmonster said:
Rear mech: Sram X9, not convinced about the X0 for AM with the carbon knuckle.
Believe it or not, when I destroyed my XO, the "carbon" (it's actually a plastic composite that LOOKS like carbon) was the only part that DIDNT break! All of the metal pieces sheared but the composite did not. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Sorry to disagree with most of you, but it doesn't get any better/lighter than this:

Fork: Pace RC 41 Fighter (1600g) 150mm
Bottom Bracket: Acros BB Ceramic
Cranks: Middleburn RS-7 X-Type (coming out soon)
Headset: Chris King Titanium
Brakes: Formula Oro Puro (I would choose Mono Minis (203/183) over them though)
Handlebar: Easton Carbon XC
Stem: Hope 70mm (130g with Titanium Bolts)
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece or Use Titanium
Seat: Tune Marathon (107g and very comfortable)
Seatlamp: Tune Wuerger or Hope QR
Cassette: XTR or Tune Titanium/Carbon
F. Dera: XTR
R. Dera: XO
Shifter: XO Trigger
Pedals: Crankbrothers Eggbeater Triple Ti
Replace all bolts with Titanium Bolts

Wheelset:
Hubs: Hope Pro II Disc
Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray
Nipples: DT Alu Prolock
Rims: DT 5.1 or Notubes ZTR 545

regards,

Leon :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Gemini is awesome

I have a Gemini 900 and it is a versitile bike.
Great for BMX tracks and downhill tracks and still a good trail bike.
The changes I have done are;
short stem - race face 1.5 to fit breakout fork
Gravity dropper
4 way air shock.

Uphill and fast but flat trails fork travel to 130mm.
Seat extended or 1" down.
Rear travel in 150mm, air shock 25%sag 100psi in spv
I have found myself keeping up with most cross country bikes
On the downhill sections extend forks to 150mm, seat fully down and go fast and fly off the jumps.

BSX
Fork 150mm
rear travel in 150mm, air shock 35% sag

Downhill -really bumby rooty
Fork 150mm
Rear travel 170mm, coil shock

Enjoy your bike it has great geometry and wont break.
Good riding!
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
15,230 Posts
pwg said:
I've just had a look at the Gravity Dropper - yep I want one of them - apart from the weight penalty, I can see myself loving it.

One question though, is it a hassle to turn your bike over as the lever is on-top of the handlebar? I often take off tyres etc with the bike upside down.
That was the first think I noticed when I mounted mine. The lever looked like it would get damaged if I flipped the bike upside down, a common thing to do during trailside repairs. I ended up rotating the lever unit backwards until the lever was below the hieght of my grip-shifters, which can take the bike resting on them. It turns out it's easier to use this way anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
God Save the Queen?

Leon,
You sound English! In California I would not buy very many of those parts due to supply consideration and warranty. I'm sure you are right about the weight of the parts. But, unless you have a contract for riding I would not spend the $$ for weight savings, I would prefer the best riding bike on the planet with a minimum of maintenance.
Cheers,
Kane

Fork: Fox preferably Vanilla anything but the Talas
Bottom Bracket/Cranks: Shimano XT 760
Headset: Chris King Aluminum (it's lighter than Ti!)
Brakes: Formula Oro K24 (these are the best brakes on the market!)
Handlebar: Easton Carbon XC
Stem: whatever you need for the fit
Seatpost: Thomson or Easton
Seat: WTB cheap and make sure that it fits
Seatlamp: I don't even know what a Seat lamp is?
Cassette: XT
F. Dera: XTR or XT
R. Dera: XO
Shifter: XO Trigger
Pedals: Crankbrothers chromemoly or Time
don't Replace all bolts with Titanium Bolts
Wheelset: Crossmax or DT 240's with 32 spoke and either Mavic 819 or DT rim
Spokes: DT's if you build the wheels
Nipples: brass on the back and Al on the Front
This package is neither stupid light not stupid expensive.

LtoThaEON said:
Sorry to disagree with most of you, but it doesn't get any better/lighter than this:

Fork: Pace RC 41 Fighter (1600g) 150mm
Bottom Bracket: Acros BB Ceramic
Cranks: Middleburn RS-7 X-Type (coming out soon)
Headset: Chris King Titanium
Brakes: Formula Oro Puro (I would choose Mono Minis (203/183) over them though)
Handlebar: Easton Carbon XC
Stem: Hope 70mm (130g with Titanium Bolts)
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece or Use Titanium
Seat: Tune Marathon (107g and very comfortable)
Seatlamp: Tune Wuerger or Hope QR
Cassette: XTR or Tune Titanium/Carbon
F. Dera: XTR
R. Dera: XO
Shifter: XO Trigger
Pedals: Crankbrothers Eggbeater Triple Ti
Replace all bolts with Titanium Bolts

Wheelset:
Hubs: Hope Pro II Disc
Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray
Nipples: DT Alu Prolock
Rims: DT 5.1 or Notubes ZTR 545

regards,

Leon :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
LtoThaEON said:
Sorry to disagree with most of you, but it doesn't get any better/lighter than this:

Fork: Pace RC 41 Fighter (1600g) 150mm
Bottom Bracket: Acros BB Ceramic
Cranks: Middleburn RS-7 X-Type (coming out soon)
Headset: Chris King Titanium
Brakes: Formula Oro Puro (I would choose Mono Minis (203/183) over them though)
Handlebar: Easton Carbon XC
Stem: Hope 70mm (130g with Titanium Bolts)
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece or Use Titanium
Seat: Tune Marathon (107g and very comfortable)
Seatlamp: Tune Wuerger or Hope QR
Cassette: XTR or Tune Titanium/Carbon
F. Dera: XTR
R. Dera: XO
Shifter: XO Trigger
Pedals: Crankbrothers Eggbeater Triple Ti
Replace all bolts with Titanium Bolts

Wheelset:
Hubs: Hope Pro II Disc
Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray
Nipples: DT Alu Prolock
Rims: DT 5.1 or Notubes ZTR 545

regards,

Leon :thumbsup:
Sounds more like weight weenies special than AM. Ti bolts on an AM rig? Have a word.
 

·
Paste eater
Joined
·
3,722 Posts
zkampyman said:
Leon,
You sound English! In California I would not buy very many of those parts due to supply consideration and warranty. I'm sure you are right about the weight of the parts. But, unless you have a contract for riding I would not spend the $$ for weight savings, I would prefer the best riding bike on the planet with a minimum of maintenance.
Cheers,
Kane

Fork: Fox preferably Vanilla anything but the Talas
Bottom Bracket/Cranks: Shimano XT 760
Headset: Chris King Aluminum (it's lighter than Ti!)
Brakes: Formula Oro K24 (these are the best brakes on the market!)
Handlebar: Easton Carbon XC
Stem: whatever you need for the fit
Seatpost: Thomson or Easton
Seat: WTB cheap and make sure that it fits
Seatlamp: I don't even know what a Seat lamp is?
Cassette: XT
F. Dera: XTR or XT
R. Dera: XO
Shifter: XO Trigger
Pedals: Crankbrothers chromemoly or Time
don't Replace all bolts with Titanium Bolts
Wheelset: Crossmax or DT 240's with 32 spoke and either Mavic 819 or DT rim
Spokes: DT's if you build the wheels
Nipples: brass on the back and Al on the Front
This package is neither stupid light not stupid expensive.
I'm on my way to replicating this VERY build... Like you said, it a GREAT compromise between weight/durability and $$$$. I've got all SRAM though...
 

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
For AM riding it is hard to beat a Gravity Dropper. May not be the lightest piece of equipment nor the cheapest seat post out there but it is the best thing to happen to mountain biking sense suspension and disc brakes.
 

·
HIKE!
Joined
·
1,657 Posts
Gravity Dropper

mtnfiend said:
For AM riding it is hard to beat a Gravity Dropper. May not be the lightest piece of equipment nor the cheapest seat post out there but it is the best thing to happen to mountain biking sense suspension and disc brakes.
another vote for the Gravity Dropper. Get the remote for certain, that is the key. 3" drop seems about right to me. I've seen others getting dual position drops, but riding with them, it looks tricky to hit one position or the other..... stick with 3" drop, you can't go wrong.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top