Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the benefits of running a solid BMX style axle over quick release axles?

I can do this with my hubs, and from what I can guess the pros and cons are:

pros:
stiffer fork and rear (?)
Stronger and less likely to fail

cons:
added weight (how much heavier?)
wheel removal less easy
bolts gouge dropouts

Anything I am missing?

Will the BMX bolt-ons make a fork that much stiffer? (I'm running a Nixon, and am happy the with stiffness, but Upgraditis says I can always do more :devil:)

I'm guessing a fork won't be 20mm stiff, but would it be a noticable improvement? Or a placebo type effect?

I see pics of 4X pro riders using them on their shorter travel forks.

I have also heard about some bolts that don't gouge the drop outs... anyone know?

P

Pic of solid axle:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Mr.P said:
What are the benefits of running a solid BMX style axle over quick release axles?

I can do this with my hubs, and from what I can guess the pros and cons are:

pros:
stiffer fork and rear (?)
Stronger and less likely to fail

cons:
added weight (how much heavier?)
wheel removal less easy
bolts gouge dropouts

Anything I am missing?

Will the BMX bolt-ons make a fork that much stiffer? (I'm running a Nixon, and am happy the with stiffness, but Upgraditis says I can always do more :devil:)

I'm guessing a fork won't be 20mm stiff, but would it be a noticable improvement? Or a placebo type effect?

I see pics of 4X pro riders using them on their shorter travel forks.

I have also heard about some bolts that don't gouge the drop outs... anyone know?

P

Pic of solid axle:
I have a wheel with that type of axle and I think it adds a bit of stiffness to a fork, but your Nixon is probably already stiff enough that you might not notice it. I really don't think you'd notice any stiffness increase on the rear.

I think the biggest benefit is if you're running discs on the front with rearward facing dropouts, there will be less of a chance of the wheel coming out of the fork under braking. On the rear, it can be useful on a single speed with horizontal dropouts.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
grawbass said:
I have a wheel with that type of axle and I think it adds a bit of stiffness to a fork, but your Nixon is probably already stiff enough that you might not notice it. I really don't think you'd notice any stiffness increase on the rear.
Thanks for the input. I am one of those riders that is so in-the-moment that I don't feel things like stiffness, unless I am climbing when I can think about other things other than "rubber side down".

It doesn't seem to be an often sought after mod, so maybe there isn't much to it.

Thanks.

P

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
depending on your riding style, weight and type of bike you ride, it will make a world of difference in the rear or none. If your a clyde (200+) and ride, lets say, a 4-bar (horst link or kona faux bar doesn;t matter) adding a bolt on rear axle will def make the rear end alot stiffer than running a QR.

Coincidently, if your an aggressive AM/DH rider and you bike has a QR axle and you make the switch, it will again make the rear end much stiffer.

Pros/Cons I noticed when going to a bolt on over the QR.
PROS:
rear tracks better.
less/no rotor rub in corners.
never had my bolt on slip in/from dropouts. QR did this a couple times in hard corners.
CONS:
bolt on take more time to deal with when changing tire/flat.

For me, aggro AM/DH 230lb rider, the bolt on rear is the only way to roll.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
red5 said:
depending on your riding style, weight and type of bike you ride, it will make a world of difference in the rear or none. If your a clyde (200+) and ride, lets say, a 4-bar (horst link or kona faux bar doesn;t matter) adding a bolt on rear axle will def make the rear end alot stiffer than running a QR.

For me, aggro AM/DH 230lb rider, the bolt on rear is the only way to roll.
Interesting. I am ~185 and have a DW link rear. It is an 04 bike and the rear is a bit flexy, but I like I wrote above I only notice when I have time to think about such things.

I also ride pretty aggressive downhills.

I currently run QR bolt ons, hammered pretty tight. Tooling off the wheel is not a big deal for me, as I do that now and have learned to pack the tool with the tube.

I'm an old BMX dude so bolt ons seem pretty natural to me.

P

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.