Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the advantages of wider handle bars?

I'm currently running a 620 mm handle bar. It's seems like a lot shorter than what all the other guys around ride with. What gives?

Does it improve jumping and off-balance leverage? I would really like to improve jumping control, but don't want to lose too much quick turning for DH single track.

How wide should I go for running a 140mm fork? 670 or 700mm? Could I just cut the 700mm if it's too wide?

The reason I'm asking, is because supergo in Seattle is selling weyless DH riser bars for $12 a piece. THought it might be worth giving it a try, and if I don't like it, ohh welll, only $12. They have a 670mm bar with 40mm rise, and a 700mm with 50mm rise. Which one do you think I should get?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Wider bars will give you alot:

-More control
-More leverage
-More comfort
-and hell they even look better.

a wider handlebar will slow down your turning a little, but in use with a short stem, it's almost negated. Usually wide bars come in a variety of different angles sweeps and rise, so you can definately custom fit your cockpit to your liking.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zonk0u said:
Wider bars will give you alot:

-More control
-More leverage
-More comfort
-and hell they even look better.

a wider handlebar will slow down your turning a little, but in use with a short stem, it's almost negated. Usually wide bars come in a variety of different angles sweeps and rise, so you can definately custom fit your cockpit to your liking.
Right on! That's what I'm looking for! It should make a good match for my 60mm weyless DH stem.

If anything, you're right, my bike will look a lot better. I'm currently using a Target bike BMX/MTB hybrid bar (the only cheapo part left on my bike). It's heavy, looks goofy, and is obviously too short. Then again though, I've bashed the living hell out of that sucker and it's never bent even a single mm. I guess there's one good thing about steel handle bars, huh? :D

Will a wider handle bar give more control on off-camber/off-balance landings on jumps/drops?

BTW, which one should I buy? Is 700mm way too much? Go big now and cut down later if needed?

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
BTW, which one should I buy? Is 700mm way too much? Go big now and cut down later if needed?[/QUOTE]

WoW ... that's more than 27inches ....way to much man...

My bar is a bit shorter than 25inches and don't feel the need for a mm more...
Why u need such a long bar..!! u gonna be hitting trees and cars with such a long bar..

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VIA said:
BTW, which one should I buy? Is 700mm way too much? Go big now and cut down later if needed?
WoW ... that's more than 27inches ....way to much man...

My bar is a bit shorter than 25inches and don't feel the need for a mm more...
Why u need such a long bar..!! u gonna be hitting trees and cars with such a long bar..[/QUOTE]

Now that I think about it, I'm already clipping trees with my bars. Ohh well, there's only like two spots in all the areas I ride where the trees sqeeze you in to handle bar width.

Does the fact that a 140mm fork has a longer axel to crown length than a 100mm fork, have something to do with balancing leverage you have over the front wheel? I would imagine a longer fork lessens your leverage so wider bars are needed to compensate.

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Does the fact that a 140mm fork has a longer axel to crown length than a 100mm fork, have something to do with balancing leverage you have over the front wheel? I would imagine a longer fork lessens your leverage so wider bars are needed to compensate.[/QUOTE]

Don't think so...
My fork has 185mm of travel and like I said.. my bar is a bit less than 25inches and I been hitting star gaps,drops,jumps and anything in btw w/o a problem...
I'll say go for a 25 or 26 inches wide bar and get used to it...

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Microhuck, how fast do you ride?

I'm running 28" bars on both bikes now and love them. I won't be going back to narrow bars, I can tell you that.

Let me put it this way. Wider bars give you more leverage in keeping your wheel straight much easier when hauling arse. Yes, they're a bit of a pain in the arse when riding the tight and twisty and they make turning a bit slower, but like all bike changes, you figure out how to compensate for it. It hasn't slowed me down on that terrain at all.

Cheers,
EB

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
ebxtreme said:
I'm running 28" bars on both bikes now and love them. I won't be going back to narrow bars, I can tell you that.

Let me put it this way. Wider bars give you more leverage in keeping your wheel straight much easier when hauling arse.

SO if I'm still able to keep my wheels straight with a less than 25inches bar I'm a genius ...!!? :rolleyes:

why have a insane 28inches bar when u can do the same and more with 25inches....????

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
that's the question

Now everyboddy go and cut ur bars at 25inches... :D :p ;)

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
VIA said:
ebxtreme said:
SO if I'm still able to keep my wheels straight with a less than 25inches bar I'm a genius ...!!? :rolleyes:
no, but asking a question like that sure shows your stripes

why have a insane 28inches bar when u can do the same and more with 25inches....????
because it's easier with 28 inches

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If you ride fast and bomb hills (ie. DH racing) you want stability so 26 - 28 bars are the best. If you ride more technical stuff or urban freeriding etc. where you aren't going as fast and need a lot of control then you want narrower bars like 24 - 25". Narrower bars are more nimble ride and they are way better for X-ups and bar spins too. Wider bars are more stable for landing big hits. Basically the only advantage of wide bars is the stability. Where as narrower bars offer more control and more room in the cockpit.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jkish said:
Slide your grips and shifters/levers in or out, leaving the bar long for a couple of rides until you find the best width. Only then cut the bar down.
good call- I'll go with the 700mm and cut it down from there.

Does body size have anything to do with handle bar size? I'm 6ft4in, so I imagine I'm on the larger side of the size scale.

edit: Only 8 posts from 420!!!!! I'll try and wait till April 20 to post my 420th post :D I'll post a pic of my bong.

·
Banned
683 Posts
The Real answer...

It has always been a rule of thumb (whatever that means), that to get a good width on your bars...get in the "pushup" and measure from pinkie to pinkie and that is close to where you want your bars. People are different sizes...so cut the bar to fit you....not so much the course you are riding (because that always changes).

·
Registered
377 Posts
A wide bar means you have to move yopur hands in a wider arc to steer (which is why some XC riders like skinny ones, for quick handling) but also means it take less force to hold the wheel against being turnd asside by obstacles. Thats not really in favor of one or the other. When I went from a 600mm wide bar to a 700mm wide one, I noticed it was easier in general to hold a line- either over rough ground, or counter-steering in a turn. I didn't mind the slight loss of "flickability", but it was there.

One main advantage to A wider bar also offers more leverage when pedaling, which is nice when you don;t have time to shift to the right gear, or don't HAVE the right gear (one chainring chainguides, single speeds, etc).
A wider bar might also work better with your body shape to let you use your arms to absorb shock from landings. If your hands are not farther appart than your shoulders, you can use all your muscles effciently when resisting the downward force of your weight, which may be an issue when doing drops.
A wider bar may let you breath more freely, by moving your arms away from your chest.

The disadvantages of a wider bar is, they are a bit heavier, and don't fit through the narow gaps in some trails, crowded race courses, or urban traffic.

And hell yeah, body size and bar size are related. All the body posture related things I mentioned, matter more to a bigger rider. What might be wide enough for some, ain't so wide if your armspan is over 6 feet.

·
Registered
643 Posts
jumpin reasons...

i uhhh...would like to cut my bars pretty short due to jumping reasons. The longer the bars, the more u have to turn thm basically. I also like the shortness because it feels quicker

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
VIA said:

Some folks have brought up the other only good reason (for me) for having short bars and that's doing bar spins or riding urban. That's the truth, Ruth, and in both applications, having shorter bars (24-25") is perfect. For DH and FR applications, however, I absolutely believe wider bars make the most sense (we are on the DH forum, aren't we?) for control and stability.

I was specifically answering this question for Microhuck who, I think, is gonna be living in Vancouver next year when he's going to film school. Sorry, VIA, but I know the stuff at the Woodlot, Vedder, Shore, Squamish, Pemberton and Whistler will warrant a wider bar and I'd be curious to see how genius you'd seem up there with your 24" (or shorter) bars..... :eek: If you've ever hit the Crabapple hits going 30+ mph, you'd know what I'm talking about.

Churs,
EB

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ebxtreme said:
VIA said:

I was specifically answering this question for Microhuck who, I think, is gonna be living in Vancouver next year when he's going to film school. Sorry, VIA, but I know the stuff at the Woodlot, Vedder, Shore, Squamish, Pemberton and Whistler will warrant a wider bar and I'd be curious to see how genius you'd seem up there with your 24" (or shorter) bars..... :eek: If you've ever hit the Crabapple hits going 30+ mph, you'd know what I'm talking about.

Churs,
EB
Ohhhhhh yeaahhh! I'll be riding NorthShore stuff with my bike, unless I manage to build myself a new Freeride bike dual suspension (uzzi vpx all the way) before then.

I'm thinking of dumping my lighter aluminum frame for an Azonic steelhead and riding that if my VPX doesn't happen. I've heard that guys ride up there on hardtails all the time, it's all in how smooth you are at hitting trannies of jumps/drops. Wade (I'm sure that was Wade right? only seen it once) riding all that stuff on a hardtail in the Collective proved to me that hardtails have their place in NS riding, that was just incredible.

One thing I've noticed:

My bars are at around 24inches right now. I've noticed that when doing drops up to 8 ft that I have to land perfectly balanced or else the bike wants squeel around a bit. The strange thing is though, when I lowered my travel from 140mm to 120mm I noticed an increase in jumping stability.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.