Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the most popular choices for mtb socks these days? The DryMax Hyper Thin Mini Crew has been my general athletic sock for years:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ABX4IM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_.bzYFbAPPKYRN

But at the mtb events I went to last year it looked like most mtb guys wear crew socks with a few wearing quarter socks - no low or "no show" socks. I just bought a pair of 5.10 Freerider Pros so now I need up my mtb sock game. Any recs?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Socks? I've been wearing Keen sandals all summer and fall until last week. My decision process on socks has become: chilly temps require thicker socks. Less chilly temps require thinner socks. Did I miss something?

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I just buy whats on sale. Most are Sockguy socks. There's a vendor when I went to Sea Otter last year was selling 3 pairs for $10. I bought several pairs. I have socks that are years old that are still in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I didn’t even known there were “mtn bike socks.”

95% out of the year I just wear “socks. “ I prefer black socks because they don’t show dirt as much. If it’s cold I’ll wear thicker ones.

I have about 10 pairs of these:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
Silk socks from REI, then RAB Vapor Barriers, then Wiggies Lamilite Socks.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,513 Posts
you guys are crackin me up....

Socks are pretty personal items and a lot depends on the temps you expect to wear them in...... I like Merino socks, even for summer.

One brand I've really liked lately is Darn Tough....different heights and weights, look good. Definitely need to find a discount code or sale....but they are quality...

Also have run Wigwam, Kuiu, Smartwool, and some budget RealTree Merino that were amazing for super cheap.

Don't only get stuck on a cycling rebrand unless you just want the logo.....which I do have many of :)

Tasco is a really nice quality good looking product...

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
As it's never really super hot were I live...

Average temp is 16-18°C

I prefer to wear work type socks, thick and comfy w/ adequate adequate ankle protection.

If I'm riding hot, arid conditions - I'll wear sports socks.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

·
slow
6,871 Posts
It should be noted that I am far from an expert on fashion, especially when my wife or kids are asked, so my input may be useless. My cycling sock are all either crew or quarter length. I haven't noticed big differences in cycling socks from Sock Guy, Save our Soles, DeFeet, Jett, Pearl Izumi, Endura, SmartWool, etc.

I wear cycling socks as my daily socks most of the time, even when I have to wear them with a suit for work. Almost all of mine were schwag from events, from club membership, for supporting IMBA, or given to me as gifts, with a few pairs bought out of the sale bin at the LBS. Here are the contents of my sock drawer that are not currently in the laundry.

1205200935.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
DeFeet or Save our Soles

I prefer Defeet or a new one I found, Save our Soles have been my go to, everyday really, riding or not. Both offer a huge selection of styles and colors. Another brand I've tried is Watts Style.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts