Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a light, downhill bike, and not one of those that costs 5000 dollars. Are the big hits lighter than most downhill bikes? What are some light DH bikes?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
dude, when r u goin to buy a bike lol. just get a kona kicapu and drop off any thing. its gettn alittle annoying. buy the damn stinky if its only 500 its stolen, and you will have the great feeln of knowing some kid, who read all the mags and studied for months got ripped off. just get 1 and ride. you have to go used under 1000 if you want anything FS! and even if u buy a used frame, itll cost you 5 times more just to build it up. theres no argument. its all $$$

·
n00b eternal
633 Posts
I hate to say it, but I agree, these bikes don't really sound like they are coming from a legit source. Correct me if I am wrong, that is fine. But you have been talking about a lot of different bikes and if you only have $750 to spend you really need to pick some realistic options. You are only 15, right? You'll have lots of time to develop on a good hardtail. It really is crazy that you can get a cool free ride hardtail for under a grand these days.

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I acually fell into some cash today, I got my ATV back from my dads friend after 2 years, and I am going to sell it, so i may have a little over a 1000 US to spend

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my parents bought it for me at age 9, and now that we dont need it, my dad says I can sell it, and use the money for a bike. I'll definetaly go used, and try to get a nice bike, but now that I have a Little money to fool around with, I want somthing that is light, lighter than most DH or FR bikes that is, its doesnt have to be 20 pounds, around 35 to 40 is what I'm looking for. I found another bike, that seems to be a good price, a karpiel disco valante, its looks sweet, how bout that bike for $1000 US? (complete)

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
zedro said:
wish i had an ATV to sell at 15....lol
Ha....I was shuttling today in some Forest land and there was a family with like 3 or 4 kids up there all on pimp 50s. The oldest may have been like 12, and the youngest was like 4. Rich people...

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
oreo321321 said:
... around 35 to 40 is what I'm looking for. I found another bike, that seems to be a good price, a karpiel disco valante, its looks sweet, how bout that bike for $1000 US? (complete)
dude...thats light. Competiton DH race bikes are 38-40, most DH/FR bikes are in the 45 range.

I would also stay away from Karpiels....see Ridemonkey if you need to know more....

·
bored
168 Posts
Orange 222's/223's are about as light as it gets, but a used frame alone could very well cost you more than $1000. You might find a Bullit for around a $1000, which are solid freeriders, and can be built up quite light. And for a beginner/sport racer, they're certainly adequate, especially if you get a newer one with 7" of travel. However, if all you want to do is drops/stairs to flat, weight should be your last consideration, as a World Cup-ready, 39 lb DH race bike is neither capable of nor intended for many repeated drops to flat. I would seriously get a hardtail. At $1000, you could get a nice new one, or an absolutely pimpin' used one. And, for the millionth time, a hardtail will make you a much better rider than full suspension--even though you certainly don't want to believe that, it's true!

·
Registered
127 Posts
big hits

oreo321321 said:
how heavy are most big hits? are they pretty light?
my stock bighit comp weighed in at around 43 pounds. i threw on an MRP, super T, and some decent tires with double casings (High Rollers) and it weighs around 45 pounds now. you can definitely make a bighit a sub-40 pounder, but it would take a good chunk of $$$....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hard Tails.

oreo321321 said:
how heavy are most big hits? are they pretty light?
hey you could always get a BigHit Grom. I bet that thing is real light. A real POS, but what the hell? Its cheap, "Light", and besideds you sound set on a BigHit. haha. Im 16 and ride hardtails. Get one. Just built a Craftworks rail with Shiver SCs for my bud. A sweet hadtail.

·
where's the kick stand?
674 Posts
ya,id say get a nice hardtail.chances are that you won't be able to find a light dh bike that cheap and a hartail will meake you a smoother rider.What size stuff do you do?Do you fr or dh mostly?

·
Registered
150 Posts
madmax said:
ya,id say get a nice hardtail.chances are that you won't be able to find a light dh bike that cheap and a hartail will meake you a smoother rider.What size stuff do you do?Do you fr or dh mostly?
Look into the Cove Stiffie form JensonUsa.com. For about 500 you can have a nice alum. hardtail that can really take a beating!

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
SWD bikes are light and cheap. Custom built steel.

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I seriously don't want a hardtail, I ride a full suspension right now, and I dont want to loose that. I rid a few Rocky mountain Free ride bikes today, one was 50 pounds, and the other was 38-40, it was cool, then I rid a hardtail, i really dont like hardtails. Well back to the original topic, does anyone know the acual weights on those bikes? Like the turners and stuff?

·
I need more time
157 Posts
what about our old favouite. The walmart $68 special. its soo cheap that you could over look its 51 lbs issue. And you would have $932 spare so you could i donno. get a nice helmet

Attachments

·
bored
168 Posts
oreo321321 said:
Well back to the original topic, does anyone know the acual weights on those bikes? Like the turners and stuff?
Turners are lighter race bikes, probably around 10.5 or 11 lbs for the frame, but they're way past your budget. If you're just doing four- and five-foot drops, you really don't need an 8 or 9" travel frame--you need good riding technique, which you will learn from a hardtail. Other than the fact that they're not squishy on flat landings, what don't you like about hardtails?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts