Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning on getting the Polygon Siskui T8 in a few months. after reading reviews it come to my attention the the rear shock is achelies heel of the bike. it is a 135 fox float DPS. can i change it to a 140? iif not what are soe good 135mm shocks?

·
since 4/10/2009
37,052 Posts
no. rear suspension doesn't work that way.

the amount of travel is determined by geometry. the shock does not move the same amount as the rear axle, and different rear suspension designs make for different amounts of rear axle travel for a given shock stroke.

some frames permit you a little wiggle room on rear shock dimensions. others do not. DO NOT CHANGE THE REAR SHOCK UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING because screwing it up can mean trashing a frame.

you need to know the eye-to-eye and the stroke lengths of your OEM shock to begin with. that will help you find a replacement for your OEM shock. But you also need information about the tune that shock uses and what you like and don't like about it.

I recommend you obtain the bike and ride it for awhile, working with the settings on the shock. you might be fine with it. but if it doesn't work for you, you're going to need as much information as possible to figure out what to replace it with. that's going to require having the bike in hand and some information about where that OEM rear shock is limiting you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve been riding the T8 for a couple months now. I’m a bigger rider, so I added some extra tokens in it but have otherwise kept the shock the same. For me, it’s working pretty good… even though I dream of swapping in the new fox coil shock.

You need a similarly sized shock, not travel measurement. The shock is a 210mmx55mm stroke. So maybe you could find something a little larger stroke with the same or just bigger size, but your options will be limited, as there are so many variations of sizes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.