Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in buying a mountain bike but have no idea what make or model to get. I am going to be riding a lot on the highway, about 4 or 5 miles a day, and might want to take it off road occasionally but not that often. I am 5 foot 10 inches tall and weigh 220 pounds. I also don't want to spend very much probably around $300 but not any more than $350. I want to get into the lifestyle and don't have that much money. I enjoy lifting weights and this could take the place of my cardio by riding to work instead of paying that much for gas. I also want something easy to use.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Any local bike shops? You could probably pick up a decent hardtail for the use that you are intending. Check out the LBS because fit is most important and they will also probably offer some free maintenance for a year or so which can be very helpful. I would steer clear of picking up something online especially if you can't put the bike together yourself and keep everything in working order. As far as bike suggestions go, you would probably get better information from the LBS as well. Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Don't be limited to a front suspension bike becase if you find the right one for the right price which was just like mine($420 range) and I got a full suspension Windsor with rock shox dart 1 forks, wtb speed v saddle and grips, shimano deore derailleurs and speed trigger shifters, wtb velociraptor tires and alex dp17 rims, front and back tektro mechanical disc brakes, it's under 30lbs too. The lowest grade component on the bike is the rear shock which is easily replaceable. Anyways I got is from bikesdirect.com and I am fully satisfied with my order. Oh yea and the Windsor has a 5 year warranty.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Sticky Fingers said:
Don't be limited to a front suspension bike becase if you find the right one for the right price which was just like mine($420 range) and I got a full suspension
He is going to be riding 4-5 miles a day on the road and I don't think a full suspension bike would be that enjoyable for those kinds of rides.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can honestly tell you you will be experiencing a lot before you can narrow down the bike that fits your riding style.
Just like you I entered the world of MB not too long ago and being on a budget I decided to explore my options.
My eyes eventually landed on the Dawes Haymaker 1000.
Daw...what?
That was my initial reaction as well.
Do some research and you'll save yourself some money getting a bike I consider an eight in the entry level segment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
you can get a giant boulder for less than 300$ and it actually is a pretty solid bike, you could pay around 300 for a specialized hardrock, those are the two bikes I would look at because they are cheap and they can be upgraded component wise in the future and turn into pretty nice bikes

·
Registered
290 Posts
^^^ I would not get this.
As mentioned before, if you're looking for a bike to get you to-and-fro around town, a hardtail is the way to go. Especially if you're on a budget. Sure, you can find "cheap" full suspension bikes, but they won't last as long due to all the extra moving parts. Not to mention complete lack of efficiency on flats and climbs (an issue that higher-end suspension bikes solve through advanced linkage design and sophisticated shocks with special damping).

+1 for a visit to your local bike shop. The staff there can help you find a bike that fits your budget AND your body, which are two major factors to consider when buying a bike. It might not have all the bells and whistles you dream about, but it will be solid, and not full of flashy, faux-technology like many department store bikes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got my Forge on Monday and so far I really like it. It was my first mountain bike and I didn't really have a LBS so I figured I'd go for it. Got it for 330 shipped and I am 210lbs 5'10". I got the 17" and don't think I could straddle a 19".
JAWZ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.