Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering what people are using for a rear tire on their SS? I ride in the Canadian Rockies and have been running a rampage or prowler. I found the prowler a good rear but it was really hard to get on to my old wtb lazerdisc wheelset. I now have some stans flows and it was so hard to get on the rim I was afraid to air it up thinking that it wouldn't pop on the bead and if it did pop I would probably never get it off. Has anyone had the same problem with the prowler/flow combo? I like the rampage on the rear for grip but find it a bit slow and heavy.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Slow and heavy? Yep. I am using an Exiwolf on the rear right now. My first 29er came with these and they have been sitting around going to waste. However, they have huge volume and make for a very comfy ride.

Over the summer and fall I used a Nano on the rear. Maybe I'm not AM enough, but I never ran out of traction on my trails with this tire. It is fast and was barely worn even though I rode to and from the trails each time

Also tight tires/rims may be a pain but it is still a good thing, especially for running low pressure

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Panaracer Rampage for situations where beefiness or volume count.

Maxxis Cross+Mark where speed counts.

Kenda Klaw for situations where all-out mud/root traction counts.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I too 'am running the MK 2.4 with a splash of Stans on a set of C29SSMax wheels.

The thing I disliked about the MK on the rear was how fast they seemed to wear...but oddly, that seemed to improve when I pulled the tube out and went tubeless. Yeah, 'probably just imagining it...

·
Registered
54 Posts
hutchinson python light 2.1. The only time I have had serious problems is on super steep fire roads with loose gravel on the top. I've been drifting in the mud a little lately but its no big deal, I definitely wouldn't run this as a front in the winter though. I only weigh 140lbs so I don't need tons of tread to push me up the hills. Just like someone else said, this tire works great on my trails, which are heavily forested hilly singletrack with the occasional log/rock/jump/drop.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.