Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to go with the Stans rims on my 650 project, but my bike shop informed me that it will be serveral months before those are available. So, what are your thoughts as to a comparable wheel? I am wanting to run tubeless, all mountain, nothing too extreme (I'm in my forties, eh).

Any thoughts in particular on the American Classic 650b wheelsets as to durability/ weight in comparison to the Stans?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I've never run a Stans product, but have had great success running tubeless on many different standard rims and standard tires. I'm currently running a Sun EQ27 650b with a Neo-Moto 2.35 and have never had any issues. This is just using a home made rim strip cut from a bmx tube, and homebrew tubeless sealant mixture. Some people use Guerilla tape and valve instead of a rim strip with equal success.

The only 650b rim I've seen reported problems with tubeless is the Velocity Blunt, which can be prone to blowoffs due to a less secure bead groove. All others appear to hold up fine including the P35 which some here prefer.

See how rounded the bead groove is on the Blunts...

I would look for a rim that has a more right angle interface along there...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
By comparison here's the EQ27, as you can see much more of a right angle along the bead track...

I think the bead track interface is so much more critical in a tubeless application due to not having a tube continuously pressing against the tire bead keeping it in place.

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
And while we're at it

salimoneus said:
By comparison here's the EQ27, as you can see much more of a right angle along the bead track...

I think the bead track interface is so much more critical in a tubeless application due to not having a tube continuously pressing against the tire bead keeping it in place.
The 355!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.