1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
List the names of companies that rebrand the Am Classic hubs
-WTB Laser Disc lite

-I heard that Ritchey OCR dics was also an AM Classic
(edit, the old Ritchey WCS was Am classic and also had a voluntary recall to replace parts. I know that Mike at odds/endos has those replacement parts for the WTB )

-What about these Rotaz (http://cgi.ebay.com/Rotaz-Revolutio...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50)

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Ones I heard about

WTB
Rolf
Ritchey/Syncros

Don't know how current, but they've dealt with them in the past.

Got the WTB ones myself. Pretty sure they're a copy/refinement of the older generation Am Classic.

The Rotaz you list have specs close to the WTB and the Am Classic, but not quite. So if anything it's a knockoff copy, not just a different brand. Some of the measurements are just a mm off, others closer to 5.

JmZ

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
I own 2 rear WTB Laserdisc Lites and just got a rear Am Classic. I think they used to be the same but the new Am Classics are different, improved. FWIW, I haven't had any problems with any of these and one of the WTBs is on the rear of my DJ/FR Bullit! I can feel my rear wheel flex but it hasn't broken.

·
What's "social pace?"
957 Posts
Lelandjt said:
I own 2 rear WTB Laserdisc Lites and just got a rear Am Classic. I think they used to be the same but the new Am Classics are different, improved.
I own a set of each. The new AC's are different, I'd say better. That said, the aluminium freehub body on the AC's is really starting to cook my goose. If you're considering the AC's, make sure you get a cassette with as many cogs on a solid carrier as possible. I run the SRAM 990 and that works great.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
dinoadventures said:
I own a set of each. The new AC's are different, I'd say better. That said, the aluminium freehub body on the AC's is really starting to cook my goose. If you're considering the AC's, make sure you get a cassette with as many cogs on a solid carrier as possible. I run the SRAM 990 and that works great.
Have you looked at the replacement aluminum freehub body? If the new ones line up with your hub they've got a steel piece dovetailed onto the freehub that should help with cogs chewing up the freehub. Can go with pretty much any freehub then.

I've looked at the AC's for my next hub, and am intrigued. Not sold on 'em yet, but interested.

JmZ

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
too bad...

AC have a bad reputation from early days. prior to 2006 they did indeed have problems of all sorts. That's all the bad reports you here from various people...But from 2006 on they changed the freehub and it seems also paid more attention to quality control....the hubs now are ok.

I have several road wheelsets that run without any troubles and a disc-set that i was using since 2006 and they still run smooth. so smooth i just un-laced them and re-laced to some Alex scandium rims: 1277g.

And to top it off i just bought a used set of AC hubs to build me another set.

And if you ever should encounter a problem the customer service is second to none: i had a loose bearing in a 2004 road hub and i got a new hub within 1 week over here in Switzerland.

Attachments

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
JmZ said:
Ones I heard about

WTB
Rolf
Ritchey/Syncros

Don't know how current, but they've dealt with them in the past.

Got the WTB ones myself. Pretty sure they're a copy/refinement of the older generation Am Classic.

The Rotaz you list have specs close to the WTB and the Am Classic, but not quite. So if anything it's a knockoff copy, not just a different brand. Some of the measurements are just a mm off, others closer to 5.

JmZ
The Rotaz hubs are from Chin Haur who also do AC, WTB, Ritchey and the like. They also do BB's for AC. The difference in measurements is to circumvent patents and contracts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.