Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong area. I am a newbie when it comes to angle sets.

I have a diamondback catch 2 2017. tl;dr please help me understand how to select the correct angleset for my bike! I think a 2 degree change angleset is what I want but I have no idea which model i need.

My thought process and project:

The DB Catch has a head angle of 68 and a fox float 34 130mm with 51mm offset. I am looking to upgrade to a fox 36 150mm with 44mm offset. I was assuming this would slacken the HTA by one degree but also slacken the STA which is not good. So I was wanting to use a 2 degree angleset to further slacken the HTA and slightly fix the STA.

Looks like my BB raises a bit with this fork change. I have seen online that they suggest to run the 130MM fork at 15% sag. I assume that the geometry quoted by DB is using this sag figure. If I run the 150MM fork at 20% sag, that shortens the forks length by 10.5mm which should help the BB go down the rest of the way and fix the STA the rest of the way.

1. I hope what I am saying above makes sense and is correct. Please tell me if I am way off base. Will this affect any other geometry of the bike?

2. I don't understand at all how to select the correct angle set to be able to do this and was hoping someone could explain this to me. Thanks so much!

·
damned rocks...
2,640 Posts
You are more or less correct on your assumption, see the next chart:

The values are for a size M, I got the value from the net so I'm not sure if they are accurate.

You must use the head-tube length to select the correct angleset, take notice that the head-tube length change with the frame size.
You also must know what kind of headset you frame can take, I think they are:
Top SHIS: ZS44/28.6
Bottom SHIS: ZS56/40
Again, values got from the net, so not sure if they are accurate.

EDIT: I didn't account for sag, if you input the fork length at the sag points you mentioned the values get even closer.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,886 Posts
I would check with Diamondback to see what's safe for that frame. It might be fine, but a longer fork and a slackened HTA might put enough force on a frame that was not designed for it to break. You might decide to go ahead with it in spite of this, but it's work considering so you make the change with full knowledge of the possibility.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not just increase your fork travel to 150mm first and see how it rides. Several people on this thread seemed very happy with the result without messing around with anglesets.
Man thanks for that thread. Seems like lots of people are digging it. So I have been rocking a medium frame which is borderline too small for me. If I just raised the bike up with the 150mm fork, that would make the reach even smaller and I would be cramped. On the medium bike, I have the seat rails slammed all the way back which already makes the seat tube angle effectively slack and this would slacken it even further. I was using the angle set to fix the reach and seat tube angle back to normal.

I think my plan is to jump to a large frame for this modification (I actually have one). I felt too stretched out on it initially and stuck with the medium, but which this mod plus a shorter stem, I think I can swing the large frame now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.