Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After returning from my days riding in the Sierras, I was repairing a hole in the tire today. Test riding it in the driveway yielded a noise that was never there before (has nothing to do with the tire repair).

When the shock compresses, and more so when it rebounds, there's a significant sound coming from it. Like when you squish saliva and air between your upper cheek and gums.

Is that air in the shock oil? Something I need to do? I hate to think I'd have to service it that often.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Good chance the shock needs a rebuild. Air leaks past worn seals and gets into the oil and you'll lose damping.

A quick way to see if your shock is dead or dying is, if your shock has it, cycle through the shock settings of open, trail, climb. If the oil is "aerated" you'll likely not feel much difference between settings.

Or, cycle the shock (sit and bounce) with the rebound full in and full out. If you can't tell the difference between settings, the shock needs a rebuild. In short you'll lose all the rebound damping. If there is only mild aeration you might not notice it at first but I'd bet on the next hard ride you'll completely blow the shock.

What shock?

I've done that to new air shocks on less than a dozen rides. Actually 2 days ago I did it to an air shock with about 20 rides. It happens.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fox Float X2 on my 2019 Rallon. It would pretty disappointing if a shock needs to be rebuilt this often at my level of riding.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Sometimes they just make that squishy noise. But if it never did, and now it does, it could mean what I said. If the damping does not seem to be affected, just ride it.

I aerated a brand new Fox X2 in just a few rides by running it in cold weather.

If it happens on a relatively new shock its likely just a "one off".

·
Registered
44 Posts
The rockshox monarch that came on my bike I got last year started doing that this year after I did the basic air can service...and the rebound dial no longer yielded and noticeable differences in rebound damping. And I also wasn’t getting full travel, that part was strange.

So that’s out for a complete complete rebuild. I picked up a cane creek db inline for a great price so I could still ride in the meantime and that made similar sounds brand new out of the box. However, it feels great and all the adjustments work as they should. Still feels good after about 15 hours of use, a couple of those being at a bike park.

I’m in the camp of: if it still works as it should, don’t worry too much but make sure you get it serviced at the recommended interval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
This happened to me on a brand new RS Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair about three years ago. I had ridden it for at most maybe a day and a half (noticed it at lunch on my 2nd full day of riding it). Oil does make a little noise in the dampers sometimes. Some of my Fox dampers make little “phwee” like a bird chirp or whistle noise... what I heard that day was through the full stroke, much louder, and was all of a sudden.

Sounded exactly like the OP’s description. Also symptoms matched Miker J’s comment as the compression damping adjuster no longer did anything.

Taking it apart revealed the piggyback IFP piston had failed, putting a massive gouge into the inside of the cylinder and all the IFP air was now frothing up in the damper. I had it warranty replaced.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fox X2 has a pretty noisy damper. If you've not noticed the shock feeling harsh, then just accept it's how the shock is.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk
Up through my last ride, it was quiet, quieter than the fork when pushing down on the bars. The whole bike is solid with no creaks, squeaks, or knocks. So for it to all of a sudden be making this noise even when just pedaling along, it will drive me nuts.

At just over 3 months old, and not ridden as hard as it's built for, I think it's a bit premature.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.