Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '96 Mountain Cycle San Andreas that just won't die, So, I am again giving it a new lease on life with some new parts. I put a RS Revelation air fork on it and I would like the replace the 6.5" x 1.5" Stratos Helix Pro shock with something better. I have never had a complaint with this shock, I have two of them, but I know there is something more modern to match the RS fork. I would like a Cane Creek Coud Nine or a 5th Element Air. These are good, light shocks that are esay to take care of and I can pick up a NOS or a good used one on Ebay for little $. But, I am told that these shocks don't work well on the San Andreas because of the 3:1 leverage ratio of the single pivot design. I guess with the 3:1 ratio, the shock piston speed is to slow for the air to provide the necessary damping. But, then I have heard of other people who swear by these shocks on a SA. So, I'm not sure what to believe. Can these shocks be tuned to work well on the SA? Are there any air shocks that would work well on a 3:1 ratio rear suspension system?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Gaprider4Life said:
I've got the perfect shock for you! X-Fusion-Shox O2PVA. I've got them on closeout pricing for $120 plus tax(if in CA) & shipping. Contact me via email: [email protected]
I had one on a Jamis with a 2.5:1 shock ratio and if FAR out performed the Fox Float R it replaced. Four position compression damper was nice, it didn't wallow in its travel, used the full stroke, and was quite reliable.

I can't speak for a 3:1 but maybe with their high volume sleeve to get a more linear stroke would be a good choice.

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gaprider4Life said:
I've got the perfect shock for you! X-Fusion-Shox O2PVA. I've got them on closeout pricing for $120 plus tax(if in CA) & shipping. Contact me via email: [email protected]
I sent you an e-mail, but I don't see it in my outbox. I have a new laptop with Windows 7 and I'm still getting used to it. if you didn't get it, post here or PM me so we can get the ball rolling.
Thanks,
Shawn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.