Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear MTBR ;)

I posted a little earlier about adding a disc brake to my old-ish giant cadex, and, if it all goes wrong, thats what happens... however ;)

I really quite fancy the idea of getting it sorted!!

So what i'd like to know, are there any thoughts on adding an additional piece of carbon tubing between the rear triangle, without a picture, i'd describe it as, where you would normally have a disc brake caliper, between the seat and chain stay's a small tube of approx the same diameter as the stays.

What adhesive would I need to use for such a task? normal epoxy with carbon stands? I'm pretty comfortable with the mitering, the laying and wrapping?

Also ;)

As the bike is now a singlespeed, i'd quite like to change the rear dropouts to sliders so I can get a perfect chain tension without a doofer doing it.

What steel should I look at using for doing this, or, could I buy appropriate dropouts and modify them to fit my frame?

cheers and thanks in advance ;)
Jonathan ;)

·
Registered
937 Posts
In all honesty you better off just to find a used single speed on ebay with a disc brake mount. For the amount of work and money it's going to cost you to mod your cadex it's really not worth it. It's not the laying up the carbon fiber that is the hard part. It's getting a proper cure so it has adequate strength so don't kill self when you used the rear brake.

Another option is goto http://www.therapycomponents.com/conversion.htm and use one of their disc brake conversion kits.

Sopwithcamel

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.