Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to change my saddle. It's not comfortable. I've tried tilting it, but to no avail. It's gotta go. Can't remember company name right now, but it's got NRG on the sides.

What i'm curious about is if it might be a better idea to just get some padded pants (or padded underwear, if that exists???). I don't like riding in anything but jeans, so I don't know if this would be a step in the wrong direction - would any amount of padding help, or is this a case of "if it's uncomfortable then it's uncomfortable - period"?

One thing that i've found interesting, but have never tried, is an ergonomically designed saddle - with the crotch pocket. Might it simply be a better idea for me to just buy this instead? Good opportunity to shave a few grams too, I guess.

Also, is it unreasonable to ask a LBS to let me try riding it on my bike first? I'd think that a few minutes in the parking lot should help to figure it out.

I could really use some experienced info with this. The only saddle I bought (years ago, no longer have) was a Selle Italia Flite Ti and it's only purpose was to be light. Now things are different. I want it light AND comfortable.

PATIA!

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
Generally, saddles fit different people in different ways and there's a lot of personal preference involved. There are, however, some saddles that tend to get generally good reviews and some saddles that tend to get generally bad reviews. If you haven't gone through the product reviews here on mtbr, then I suggest browsing them a bit.

Personally, I have Selle Itallia saddles on all of my bikes and I find them plenty comfortable once I've gotten through my early season "toughening up" period. If you don't ride consistently or haven't ridden in a while you'll have to go through the "toughening up" period no matter what saddle you choose.

One thing to be aware of is that saddles with a lot of padding tend to feel comfortable for short rides, but tend to be less comfortable on longer rides... and, of course, they're heavier. If you're not wearing any padding at all, then padded cycling shorts should give you some relief. You could wear cycling shorts under your jeans, or they make padded liners which are like a sheer version of cycling shorts. If you don't like th espandex look you could also look into a set of baggy cycling shorts, which usually have padded liner sewn in.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:eek: Yeah, the product reviews. I thought of that. Yeah. :eek:

Okay, great info, chicken. Thanks! About your last paragraph, however, gel saddles not so comfy on longer rides - cause? Is the gel not really a gel, or.... :confused:

Understood with the "toughening" - just like when you learn to play guitar. ;)

I definetly have a few ideas now. Thanks!

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
AndrewTO said:
Thanks! About your last paragraph, however, gel saddles not so comfy on longer rides - cause? Is the gel not really a gel, or.... :confused:

Understood with the "toughening" - just like when you learn to play guitar. ;)
Not exactly sure why.... probably has to do with more contact and continuous rubbing on fleshy parts rather than the perch bones.

Yep, kind of like guitar. FRC <= calloused fingertips

·
Registered
27 Posts
Specialized

Just an idea, Specialized has a line of saddles in different sizes and configurations, and a lot of LBSs have a "butt fit" thing you sit on so they can get you the right size. I did it, spent about $65 on the thing, and am utterly happy with it. Fairly light, small gel pockets (it works for me, since I'm on and off the saddle a lot), good looks (shouldn't matter, I know, but it's a bonus), and the thing is tough as nails...you should see some of the crashes I've had.

The fit thing is the biggest advantage for you I suspect. And definately get the cut out; it's far more comfortable and better in the long term for your (ahem) nether regions.

Hope this helps.

-jms

·
bang
1,290 Posts
padded underwear or shorts would certainly help. getting out of the jeans will also help. as you're probably aware, jeans have a somewhat large seam that runs under the crotch, which puts additional pressure on your perineum.

of course you can ask your LBS to try out some saddles on your bike. whether or not they'll do that, is up to them (any cool bike shop would allow this though).

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Ditch the jeans. I don't even like to commute in them, much less hit the trails. Pick up some baggies if you don't like the Lycra look. See if your LBS will let you test ride a saddle for a couple hours on the road. I'd stay off the trail, too easy to crash and damage it.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well holy crap! You know, I didn't even THINK about that large seam in jeans?!?!?! :eek: Damn, I feel like such a dumbazz now. So simple! Okay, that's absolutely the "number one" thing on my list - next ride, no jeans. ;)

An effective "order of operations", perhaps, would be - first clothing, next seat, last is underpadding?

Last thing (probably not) - baggies - anything specific to look for???? The only things i've bought for myself by way of biking is gloves and my helmet. The only pants I have right now that aren't jeans are casual pants/slacks. Hey, maybe i'd get a date? :eek: :p :D Or just a pant leg caught in a chainring. :rolleyes:

PATIA! This is GREAT info!!!!

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
For shorts, look at the Nema Crown Jewels or Oakley 2.3 for starters. If those are too much $$$, Giant has some shorts that are decent for a few bucks less and so does Fox. For me, it's comfort first and cost second when it comes to riding shorts. This is important stuff. Just keep in mind that shorts, like saddles can be a personal thing, however lots of people seem to like the ones I listed.

If you try some on, throw a leg over a bike and see if the nose of the seat snags on the crotch. That is annoying.

Second the recommendation on the Specialized Avatar. But remember, your 'feelings' may vary.

·
Registered
118 Posts
got to get a cutout.

Check the internet. There is now tons of literature regarding the potential damage that can be done by bike seats. Priority one should be a seat with no contact on the peremium (between your balls and ass).

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Lots of people are going to tell you lots of things about bike 'seats'.

However, the best bike saddle is a Brooks saddle. It's all leather, moulds to your arse, and once it does, you wouldn't use any other on your bike.

Everything else is just a "seat".

Also, a Brooks will last for 20+ years.

Read the reviews, then go buy one.. :)

R.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wait....

cvillerider said:
Long and/or complicated break-in period for a newb, don't you think. Great saddles, but maybe on the next bike
I certainly don't mean to blast anyone, but I would have to disagree with Cvillerider. First, from a health and safety standpoint, it's been proven through several studies a comfortable (and correctly designed saddle) increases blood flow to one's nether regions. Reduced blood flow leads to all those things guys don't ever want to deal with.

Secondly, we're always fighting to bring people into the mountain biking world. It's a great community, but we're also always fighting against national retailer bike sales, because these bikes are poorly designed, break often, are uncomfortable, and generally lead to people being less interested in biking. Thus, if Andrew is uncomfortable on his bike, it might lead him away from riding it regulary.

But, yeah, I would definately ditch the jeans, my friend. Plus, with shorts, you can show your buddies your cool injuries...

Anyway, just my two cents.

-jms

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I agree the Brooks is a great saddle, it seemed to me he wants a more comfortable saddle now w/o alot of hassle(not that it's that much hassle). Do a search of Bicycling mag forums on breakin of Brooks saddles. There are plenty of comfortable and safe saddles out there that aren't made by Brooks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am fairly new as well. The two best things I bought to make my riding more enjoyable was a pair of Zoic mountain shorts and a WTB Rocket V Laser saddle. No more soreness or chafing. I also bought a couple of loose fit riding shirts as well. The are ventilated and dry quick. Plus I look like I know what I am doing...sort of :D

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Newbie? HAHAHA! Ain't nothin' newbie about my azz. My previous ride had a Selle Italia Flite Titanium - like I said, that was when I didn't know/care about these things. Now it's different. If you wanted to say i'm a newbie because i've been out of cycling for a number of years then, yeah, that's cool. Completely understandable. I'm looking at things in a VERY different way than I did 10 years ago. Oh, Mackey, don't worry about me "going anywhere" - i'm here. I was born on a bike, just ask my Mom. Once I was on I couldn't get enough. Probably the only time in life when i'm truly happy is when i'm on two wheels. :D My departure from biking was for reasons of stupidity and laziness - we'll just leave it at that. Your concern is appreciated regardless. That's why i'm posting this. ;) Shorts? Not with my chicken legs. :p

This weekend I start a new "mission" - find a seat and pants that I can live with. Ummm, ride on. You know what I mean. While i've been scouring E-Bay I don't feel comfortable (yes, pun intended) buying something that I can't see/feel. Whatever I buy, it's gonna have a crotch pocket. I'm going to call around tomorrow and see if anyone will let me ride one first. Funny, shops should have a "tester" of a few different brands. Stuff like this ain't funny. "Yes, you can ride this bike, no you can't ride this seat.". WTF?! :confused: Sounds dumb to me.

I'll let you guys know what I find. Thanks for the help!!!!! Very informative!!! ;)

·
bang
1,290 Posts
i wouldn't worry about showing off your chicken legs; nobody else really cares. besides, there are tons of mtbr's who also have chicken legs (like me, for example lol). once summer rolls around, pants simply don't cut it. even when it's just 65 degrees out, shorts are a lot more comfortable. especially good padded shorts.

saddle - check out the line of Terry saddles. they are supposed to be pretty comfortable, and have a cut-out. they also get good ratings here at MTBR. look into it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.