Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How come more people dont use 18650s versus LiPos etc. Being that 18650s are more safe etc etc.

I was linked to this here Open Light Systems LLC | Lupine Savings Deal: Helmet Mount, Extension Cord, Charger, 8.7 Ah Li Ion Battery | Lithium Ion Batteries and Accessories for Lupine, Sigma, MyTinySun, MagicShine, BikeRay, and DealExtreme Lamp Heads. Granted I dont need the mount but the lupines are nice ( so told ) and the batteries are limited internally to balance. Seems like a good deal, and they are quality cells.

What are the pros versus cons for LiPo hobby style versus the 18650s? why dont more use 18650s?

Or even from GeoMan

Battery Packs : GeoMan Gear, The best products, the best prices, & Lightnin Fast service!

their packs have Panasonic cells and use the magicshine charger. So thats an easy setup too. Seems a bit cheaper than OLS too. they have PCB as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And for the guys that have been helping me, THANKS! I know Im all over the board, but as soon as I made my purchase I seen another option. The 18650s. They seem like a better deal and well, safer amongst other things.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The best 18650s (usually Japanese) have a higher power to weight ratio. Even better than Lipo. A complete pack has the electronics included for Low Voltage Cutoff. The high end 18650s can be more expensive at first. But, they aren't as easily damaged.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ohok thanks. Say on either of the two kits in the OP, how does the charger know they are full? I know the links say its an auto off charger after 5 hours. so what if they need longer? Or what if they are done in 4 hours?

·
Registered
201 Posts
From openlightsystems.com website:

This charger is controlled by a microprocessor that has a built-in intelligent battery management, which allows the battery to charge quickly, safely and gently. This always provides for full charges at unsurpassed security.

When it hits target voltage, it stops. Shouldn't ever take 5 hours. Onboard electronics keep total pack voltage from dropping below a predetermined discharge level.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm.. ok. Im having issues finding the lupines. Since they both use Panasonics, then Im just butting heads with the cost to value now.

OLS is more expensive, propertiary connector
GMG is cheaper ( I can get two 6ah packs for same as biggest lupine ), comes in hard case, 5.5x2.1mm DC connector ( standard issue ) but I still have to find one haha. Im hoping that the GMG charger isnt a piece of **** though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nattyboh, here's your assignment.

Value calculations:

Go to geomangear.com and calculate the following.

1. $ per Ah for each pack. 6.0 Ah Geo and 8.7Ah Lupine compatible

2. Total premium for most expensive $ per Ah pack.

3. Minutes of runtime per 100 grams for each pack. Add 40 grams for a case for Lupine compatible to be fair since the Geomangear 6.0 Ah has a built in hard case w/strap.

You'll need a calculator and the LED run time calculator

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
My observation is that most of the battery packs used in bike lights, either commercial or DIY, are built with 18650s. Lots of people use 18650s in holders rather than assembled into a pack. Personally I prefer that method. I can buy 18650 cells from any number of suppliers or salvage them from discarded laptop packs. Charging is more of a pain though. I have 2 chargers that charge 2 cells each. My bar light uses 4 or 8 cells depending on how much run time I need, and my helmet light uses 3 cells. After a long night ride I have 11 cells to charge, 4 at a time. Another plus is there is no issue with the cells getting out of balance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I remember turboferret used to make some and I think luminous? I liked those alot. But no one fabs them anymore right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Nattyboh, here's your assignment.

Value calculations:

Go to geomangear.com and calculate the following.

1. $ per Ah for each pack. 6.0 Ah Geo and 8.7Ah Lupine compatible

2. Total premium for most expensive $ per Ah pack.

3. Minutes of runtime per 100 grams for each pack. Add 40 grams for a case for Lupine compatible to be fair since the Geomangear 6.0 Ah has a built in hard case w/strap.

You'll need a calculator and the LED run time calculator
1. 4.5 Ah Geo pack = $15.44 per Ah ( 258g ) 1:23 run time @ 1000ma 2:46 run time @ 500ma
6.0 Ah Geo pack = $14.15 per Ah ( 266g ) 1:51 run time @ 1000ma 3:42 run time @ 500ma
5.8 OLS pack = $17.23 per Ah ( 220g ) 1:47 run time @ 1000ma 3:34 run time @ 500ma
8.7 Ah OLS pack = $14.94 per Ah ( 310g ) 2:40 run time @ 1000ma 5:22 run time @ 500ma

2. Most expensive is 129.99, which is the 8.7aH OLS pack.
3. Is this the weight versus power? I dont mind the weight much..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just bought the Charger and there was an extension cable with M and F lupines on it. I bought two of them to cut a splice from the housing to the battery, so no connectors from matthewm. Oh and the 8.7 Ah lupine from GEO

Same price as I spent on the Lipos, but I was gettting 15000mAH ( I was going to buy three ) but if these are better, then ok. Id like to get a hard shell case though. In case I do drop these by accident.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just bought the Charger and there was an extension cable with M and F lupines on it. I bought two of them to cut a splice from the housing to the battery, so no connectors from matthewm. Oh and the 8.7 Ah lupine from GEO

Same price as I spent on the Lipos, but I was gettting 15000mAH ( I was going to buy three ) but if these are better, then ok. Id like to get a hard shell case though. In case I do drop these by accident.
The 8.7 Ah has the best power to weight ratio of anything I've seen, including all the Lipos.

Here are some numbers- run time to weight. Based on 32 watt light, 9.9 vf

Panasonic 18650 cells packs at 7.2v
8.7 Ah Openlightsystems (no case) 39.1 min / 100 g
8.7 Ah Openlightsystems (soft case) 34.3 min / 100 g
6.0 Ah Geomangear (case w/strap) 29.3 min / 100 g

Hardcase Lipos at 7.4v
5.4 Ah Polyquest Volt on Racing Lipo 25.0 min / 100 g
6.0 Ah Turnigy Hardcase Lipo 21.5 min / 100 g

Standard Lipo at 7.4v
6.0 Ah Turnigy nano tech 24.3 min / 100 g

LiFePO4 at 6.6v
4.5 Ah Turnigy LiFePO4 16.6 min / 100 g

Nattyboh, did you buy the 8.7 Ah from Geomangear and the charger from Openlightsystems?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah I bought the pack from Geo and the charger and the leads from openlight

Im kinda weary to ask why you asked haah

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah, I bought the last 8,4 Ah battery .. phew. Luckily haha. THanks think bike. I hope you didnt steer me wrong on this battery setup

just kidding :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
yeah, I bought the last 8,4 Ah battery .. phew. Luckily haha. THanks think bike. I hope you didnt steer me wrong on this battery setup

just kidding :)
I'm sure they'll get more. I need one too. I spoke to Josh, their U.S. rep and he said that they just set up their office here in June. He was very helpful. I like the fact that their PCB board is made in Germany. The Chinese stuff is hit or miss. Forums like this help us all find high quality stuff at reasonable prices.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.