Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here it is. New WFO, size M, 14,59kg, first parking lot tests are great. Riding position feels fine, bike is huge and feels like it could roll over anything. First test is tonight (hope the kids will go to bed early).
It's full XT with SLX crank, Hope/Flow/Nevegal+ yellow tape. The wheelset only is 1980g which is perfect. Joplin 4 feels solid, hope it stays that way, Salsa bar and control Tech 70mm stem, the fork doesn't seem to be 140mm- it feels more! So far rebound adjust is on the quick side, psi in low 40s, RP23 is 140 for my 78kgs. These are just primary settings and are bound to change. So far I'm impressed but a little nervous how will it replace my RFX.

Attachments

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
simen said:
Well here it is. New WFO, size M, 14,59kg, first parking lot tests are great. Riding position feels fine, bike is huge and feels like it could roll over anything. First test is tonight (hope the kids will go to bed early).
It's full XT with SLX crank, Hope/Flow/Nevegal+ yellow tape. The wheelset only is 1980g which is perfect. Joplin 4 feels solid, hope it stays that way, Salsa bar and control Tech 70mm stem, the fork doesn't seem to be 140mm- it feels more! So far rebound adjust is on the quick side, psi in low 40s, RP23 is 140 for my 78kgs. These are just primary settings and are bound to change. So far I'm impressed but a little nervous how will it replace my RFX.
Nice looking build! How'd the test ride go last night?

BB

P.S. I need to move somewhere that has terrain where I can ride one of those W.F.O. bikes....

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
Way cool. A Joplin 4 would be nice but I already have several 3s.:D The updated internals feel quite a bit better than early generations but as always the proof is in the pudding... hope to get some Utah Desert pudding in the next few weeks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got back. The bike is way different than any other bikes I had (Spec Enduros, RM Switch, RFX). My first thought on descent was: This bike's a tank. Choose a direct line and simply go. Rockgardens, roots, you name it- it'll go over. It's stiff and suspension is effective. I couldn't stop thinking about coil shock. When you have an active suspension why dull it with an air shock. Still I liked the RP23 even though I didn't notice much difference between on/ off propedal function. It didn't bob much and it climbed super efficient. Maybe too much. Rear tyre grip is just perfect, it wouldn't slip even when I wanted to, just to ease a little bit on steep climbs. No, sir, it won't let you breed. My next step is installing a 20t ring but it will require some crank modification. I had to adapt my climbing stile because I'm used to lowering the fork. Not with m44. Front end is high but not front wheel lifting high. I'll remove some spacers just to make it more comfortable.
M44 is someway slow, sleepy, but it's new and all M forks need some time to brake in. Rebound settings were 2clicks from full open, air progression full open. I must use my 100psi pump to accurately set the pressure, now it was around 40psi. Other than that, I used all travel but it didn't dive and I will keep tuning it because it's a good fork.
Joplin 4 is nice, no play and it performed as it should. Most of the time I just used Joplin's 4in of travel but on steeper terrain I can still drop it 3in lower and comfortably get behind the saddle and lower center of gravity.
On loose gravel Nevegal is a good front and back tire but it killed me on tarmac aproach to the neares ascent. With tons of grip provided by CVA suspension and 29er's large tire footprint, I could go with a faster rolling one at the back and still climb good.
I'll ride the bike quite some more this year and these are my first thoughts. It's an extremely capable bike, one just needs to get used to it, its size and its rolling ability. Wide full open, baby!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts