Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I am currently riding a Soma 4one5 singlespeed full rigid with 2.3inch Ignitor tyres.

Bike is fantastic, very smooth but the rigid fork really does beat me up on the longer rides and im toying with the idea of putting on a short travel XC fork to give me more comfort and traction.

I think the Reba SL would be a good choice, internally adjustable travel, and the remote lockout would be a bonus on the SS so i can quickly engage it for out of the saddle mashing.

What about the Manitou R7 fork? How is the 2008 "made in USA" realiability?
The TPC model is very tempting as it is simple, cheap and lighter than other options i've considered, but im unsure of its durability.

Is there anything else i should consider?
lighter would be nice as im coming off a 1kilo rigid fork, i dont want to put heaps of weight back on. Im not after anything fancy, but a lockout of some sort would be really handy.
Price is also of concern, the new SID is out in that regard.

Cheers,
Wiol

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
That's funny.

I like how people act as though their are specific handlebars, stems, seats, and other parts that required specifically for SS. At least you asked it in the suspension forum, I've seen other ask parts specific questions in sub-forums.

Peeps, the only thing different about SS is that its got one gear and no shifter.

"ZOMG WHICH TIRES FOR SS?"

Anyway, I'd put a vote in for a Reba. Travel adjustment for the win.

·
Magurified
483 Posts
In the case of SS and suspension forks there is something about the nature of SS that affects matters - you saw very hard on the bars on a steep climb on SS, and so you need a good lockout. If I don't lockout the fork on my SS then I can be bobbing through about 80mm of travel (130mm fork) on a steeper climb.

FWIW I use a Magura Menja with lockout for mine.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
PaintPeelinPbody said:
That's funny.

I like how people act as though their are specific handlebars, stems, seats, and other parts that required specifically for SS. At least you asked it in the suspension forum, I've seen other ask parts specific questions in sub-forums.

Peeps, the only thing different about SS is that its got one gear and no shifter.

"ZOMG WHICH TIRES FOR SS?"

Anyway, I'd put a vote in for a Reba. Travel adjustment for the win.
Actually, this would be a pretty legit question for a SS. As a fellow SS rider, momentum is key, (thats why we like to be in front of gearys on climbs). When we get to a decent climb, it's stand up and MASH TIME!!! On a geary you can (and should) sit and spin as for the most part.

A fork that bobs when its not hitting something is a SS'ers worst enemy on a climb, (hence you see a lot of them running rigid). So you want a good, and I mean REAL good lockout. I prefer the Fox F100/80X with the terelogic cartridge, (it stays locked until something strikes the tire, and NOT when you push down on the bars). They quit making them due to patent issue, but you can find the on Ebay all the time. The boys at Fox and PUSH both said the X is perfect for a ss, but prefered the RLC on anything else.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the Reba would be a good option, im also considering the Recon in an air model as a cheaper alternative.

For those who currently use front suspension on their SS, do you have a lockout on the handlebar or do you rely on an 'pedal platform' located on the fork?

For SS, i find it relatively important to keep my hands on the bars with the exception of flats, so i dont want to be reaching down to the fork on a climb.
Im thinking a remote lockout would be nice, but if motion control is just as effective (perhaps turning it off for the long descents) then that could be a an option.

Cheers
Wil

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Little Willy said:
I think the Reba would be a good option, im also considering the Recon in an air model as a cheaper alternative.

For those who currently use front suspension on their SS, do you have a lockout on the handlebar or do you rely on an 'pedal platform' located on the fork?

For SS, i find it relatively important to keep my hands on the bars with the exception of flats, so i dont want to be reaching down to the fork on a climb.
Im thinking a remote lockout would be nice, but if motion control is just as effective (perhaps turning it off for the long descents) then that could be a an option.

Cheers
Wil
Thats what the F100X will do. You don't do anything. It does the thinking for you (why Specialized calls it "brain").

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
I had a 4one5 and ran a Reba Team U-turn on it - it was a great combination. You can tune the platform to get whatever level of firmness you want. I never used or wanted a lock out, although you can virtually lock the Reba if you want and use the Pop-loc to activate it from the bar. I found that for the technical climbing I was doing, a fully rigid front end was a real handicap. For smooth climbing a lock out is OK, but if you are doing any kind of ledge work, step-ups, or crawl-overs, you need to have some cushion in the front to avoid getting bounced off line IMO. The Reba was light, cheap, infinitely tunable and very reliable. Having said all that, I'm on a fully rigid 29er now - go figure:rolleyes:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input.
I definitely agree that suspension, front or rear, certainly helps with holding momentum, rigid tends to bounce you off a lot on the rockier tracks.
Im keeping at eye out for 2nd hand deals, but otherwise i may look into the Reba or Recon with motion control, and if i feel the need for the remote lockout i can always fit it later on.
Cheers for the help!
Wil

·
Registered
350 Posts
i currently own a pike and a reba, and i'll say this:

my pike is set as a crown mount lockout. because i turn it on, climb up, turn it off and descend.

my reba has a remote on the handlebar. i do everything from commuting to AM with this bike. on a 5 minute ride from my house, i can find, asphalt, dirt and jumps, and descends and climbs. its nice to be able to change for what the upcoming terrain is before, and without putting myself in an akward position to mess with.

however. the downside of the motion control is if you do alot of steep climbs, the lockout is at the top of the travel. other brands lockout at the bottom, which gives a much better position. but my pike is also a uturn so i can set both lockout and travel/head tube angle all while i do a quick once over for safety before i descend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.