Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at the Spinergy Xyclone Disc for my next set of wheels, but what else would yall suggest in the 500ish range?

08 Giant Anthem... 180lb rider... Texas XC conditions... not the smoothest rider so i want to emphasize strength

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
IME-Spinergy was the absolute worse for getting parts from, or simply getting a return phone call from when I worked as a warranty manager in the industry. Maybe they're better now, but I would never buy their product based on those experiences.

A couple options:
-Stans Arch with their house hubs and 2.0/1.7 spokes, 1622 grams and $445
-Go to BWW and check out some wheelsets with them, you can easily build a nice light and durable set for under $500

Both options use standard spokes and parts

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
I didn't know Stan had hubs.

Anyway Chain Reaction Cycles you could pick up Hope Pro 2s and a ton of rim choices for under $500. For instance Hope Pro 2s and Mavic 819 rims with DT super comps for a little over $400 and they have free shipping to US with orders over $240. Prolly not as light as the stans option but a sturdy wheelset nonetheless. Keep in mind you may be charged customs fees at about 10% or so.

·
Registered
424 Posts
moishlashen said:
I didn't know Stan had hubs.

Anyway Chain Reaction Cycles you could pick up Hope Pro 2s and a ton of rim choices for under $500. For instance Hope Pro 2s and Mavic 819 rims with DT super comps for a little over $400 and they have free shipping to US with orders over $240. Prolly not as light as the stans option but a sturdy wheelset nonetheless. Keep in mind you may be charged customs fees at about 10% or so.
+1 for Chain Reaction Cycles

Custom
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits.aspx?ModelID=7599

Prebuit.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15900

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Check with Chad (Redbarn) or Larry (Mountain High) too. Chad built up a set of Hopes for me at a great price, plus got the steel freehub option too!

Price was competitive with CRC, and got 'em quick and right.

JmZ

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
JmZ said:
Check with Chad (Redbarn) or Larry (Mountain High) too. Chad built up a set of Hopes for me at a great price, plus got the steel freehub option too!

JmZ
Yeah if you can one of those two to build it thats pure gold. They do it right and the result will be a longer lasting wheelset with lower maint etc. I've heard good things about CRC wheel builders but I know for a fact Larry and Chad are top notch.

·
Registered
446 Posts
JmZ said:

JmZ
I'd recommend these guys too. Stans has had some pretty well documented screw ups with wheel builds and fixing said screw ups. I'd avoid buying wheels from them. Rims, maybe, but I would have someone else build them for sure.

My opinion is that for nearly any application, a good 32 spoke handbuilt wheel is a far better option than system wheels from Spinergy, Mavic (great rims, but not a fan of Crossmax, Ksyrium, etc), Crank Bros, etc. Typically, you can do something lighter, more easily serviceable/repairable, stronger, and cheaper with good components and a competent builder.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
Vuelta Montagna Super Lights are 1588g/pair with the 15g rim strips they come with, the hubs are made by Novatech and have 15 degree pickup, 28H front and back with triple-butted bladed spokes, welded rims, and alloy nipples. They're $500 cdn MSRP. I just ordered a set from my distributor to use on a project build and the rims have quite a nice profile to them.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
EXRyan said:
ok so where do i find these guys? do they have a website?

i think ill go with the Hope pro 2, Arch rims, and whatever spokes will do best.
Larry (Mountain High) is my LBS of choice (and I'm in Houston). My last few sets of wheels (and forks and frames and components) have come from him. He is a great builder and prices and service are hard to beat.

Don't let his website turn you off (he has updated it), but is best reached by email or phone.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have used Spinergy Xyclone Disk wheels on my Yeti 575 for 3 years now. No problems what so ever. Well that isn't exactly correct. I did run into an issue where the rear wheel would intermittently not engage when I peddled. I tore the rear hub apart, which is very easy to do, and found the grease was all gummed up. I cleaned and relubed and all is well. This was after two years of absoutely no maintenance on the hub and a lot of miles. I weigh 160 and have no reservations putting air underneath these wheels. I may buy another bike and build it with these wheels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.