Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember going into a bike shop for the first time looking for my first bike. The salesman pointed me to an $800 hardtail and I almost choked on how expensive I thought that was. Fast forward a few years and I just spent $7k on my newest bike and am contemplating throwing another $1k at it. How much have you spent?

· Registered
658 Posts
After wheels, brakes, axs shifting and dropper, bars, stem, pedals, x01 cranks, tires, valves, chainring (32t from the crankset just wasn't cutting it for my fat ass), xx1 52t cassette and chain, in-stem spesh multitool/chain tool thingy, saddle, and misc. other junk, my 2020 enduro is pushing the 10k mark. Lotsa spare parts now though!

If you had told my 2012 self that this would happen, as I cringed while spending $700 (oh em gee so much!) on a hardtail at REI, or even my 2017 self as I was getting 'srs' about it and buying a Camber, I woulda laughed my ass off.

Thankfully e-bikes don't blow my skirt up at all or this could ratchet up even more.

The base spec of my Stumpy Expert, or even Enduro Elite (or whatever they called the trim level) certainly didn't slow me down at my skill level, so all the upgrades tacked onto them won't make me win a race, or hit some stupid KOM or whatever, but dammit, I like that little motor noise when I shift, and love not having any shift or dropper cables, and love the look (and to a less-perceived level, feel) of the blingy and lighter drivetrain bits.

In the end the bike gives me joy just by looking at it, and smiles on the trail, so money be damned. =)

· Registered
4,737 Posts
I remember going into a bike shop for the first time looking for my first bike. The salesman pointed me to an $800 hardtail and I almost choked on how expensive I thought that was. Fast forward a few years and I just spent $7k on my newest bike and am contemplating throwing another $1k at it. How much have you spent?
$4999 (including tax) for a 2021 Santa Cruz Tallboy C/S in July 2020. Received it in early October that year.

That still seems quite enough to me. I keep my bikes at least 5 years and have been giving them to my older son after that. He probably puts $700 into them when he gets the bike and maintains them at a high level.

I don't skimp on maintenance and replacement parts and the occasional upgrade.

It is an expensive hobby we indulge in. Naked trail running would be so much cheaper.

· Registered
434 Posts
I just spent $8k. I really struggled with it, not because of the expense, but because of ROI, questions like how often will I really get to ride, am I a strong enough rider to do the bike justice, etc.

I went for it and haven't asked any of those questions since. I'm riding twice a week will full-time job and two very active teens, and I'm plenty strong enough.

· Registered
19,418 Posts
Law of diminishing returns is very clear in bicycles; each $1000 you add to price over $1000 gets you less performance - at a relatively low point - the curve flattens out. Very hard to improve the performance much of a fairly priced bike that's $3000 HT or $4000 FS
It's difficult to quantify the differences but they're there imo. The ride on a $10.000 carbon bike with AXS and top of the line suspension is sublime.

· Registered
406 Posts
Need further parameters…
single complete bike purchase?
price spent on initial build?
Total price spent ‘to make it perfect’?
Lifetime cost sunk into bike?

The really scary number is total money spent on anything ‘bike’ related over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,645 Posts
My very first mountain bike was $1000 in 1991, which is $2k today.

I do slow builds over many months from the frame up, so I try not to pay attention to the overall cost, but I suspect my last build was in the $10k neighborhood. Carbon everything, XTR 12, etc.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.