Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2007 Santa Cruz nomad that I want to update. I’m looking for 1x 12 (unless there is a good reason against it). I’m trying to do as much research as I can but there is just so much information out there that it’s getting a little overwhelming.

I don’t know what info is necessary so if I missed something let me know.

My rims are DT Swiss ex 5.1D
The hub is a DT Swiss 340QR ratchet
I currently have a 2x setup (not sure on cassette info or chainring info).
Sram X-9 shifter and X-9 derailleur
Front derailleur is a shimano XT if it matters with shimano cranks.
I cannot tell what my bb is and if it matters.

Some of the local places I go have some really steep climbs so easy gears are important. I’m not good enough to go fast yet so a fast high gear isn’t required. I really like how the sram shifter feels and how precise and quick they feel. I have used some shimano shifters and the feature I like/miss is the ability to pull the trigger to downshift. I assume clutches are standard now but if not I do prefer to have one.

I’ve been looking at an eagle GX system (derailleur and shifters) but I believe that if I use their 12 speed cassette I need to get a different adapter for my hub) if there is one. Otherwise I’m looking at a cassette made by a different manufacture.

Aside from that I’ll need a new chain ring but I haven’t even gone down that road yet.

So…I’m looking for something that will give me future upgrade options and won’t break the bank.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anything I’m forgetting to take into account?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
go 11 spd or can go 12.

11 spd lighter and cheaper.

keep your hub as is and go 11-42

ditch the front derallieur, lots of guys then hand shift for a bail out gear on the two by chain ring.

shimano just brought hyperglide + down to the deore level and its better than sram and cheaper. shift both ways under load.

i think the old shimano hub standard was fine w 12 spd just 11 tooth hardest gear. some low level sram 12spd cassettes are 11-50

microspline and xd allows 10t hardest gear.

your current chain is pretty wide. 11 spd chains are wider than 12 spd chains. so not sure what chain w work w your chain rings. or their condition. bad chain rings destroy the chain and then the cassette.

going to 1x 12 is okay too. new cranks and bottom bracket

1x chain rings have a narrow then wide alternating tooth profile that negates needing a chain guide. when used with a good clutch derallieur.

sram has a nice roller clutch while shimano has a greased friction clamp that is a bit too old school for me. has a service interval. sram also has the clutch push pin that locks the derallieur open for easy wheel removal.

older bikes were not boost (wider wheel axles) so new cranks must be narrow to fit your bike.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I got this cassette would I be able to use my existing hub?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking at this kit:

·
Registered
992 Posts
Try one of the new Shimano side swing front derailleurs. They're brilliant. Apparently about 50% less shifting force required, nice slick shifts, & quiet running. Don't seem to get the rattles & clatters that you get with the older style FD's. I'm actually running SLX 11 speed with the 11-46 cassette at the minute, which is not recommended by Shimano, but it will just squeak in an 8 tooth difference between the two front chain rings. Heaps of range fro bombing downhills, to winching up near cliffs, with nice manageable steps between gear ratios.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Why do you need to change the drivetrain at all? What specifically is wrong with it? Maybe just keep it if you like the shifting. However, if I assume that you want a 1x drivetrain, then forget 1x12 and all of the crazy new hub drivers. Get 1x11. I don't know (or like) SRAM, but I fully endorse Shimano 1x11 systems, e.g. the new Deore 5100 series or the older XT/SLX series. With your 26 inch wheels (right?) the 11-42 cassette might be fine, but you could go 11-46 or 11-51 depending on what chainring you use. You would need an 11 speed shifter, rear derailleur, cassette, and chain. An 11 speed cassette fits on an 8/9/10/11 speed hub with a small spacer (1 mm?) behind the cassette, as I recall (someone can verify this). Ditch the left shifter and front derailleur. What size chainrings do you have on your 2x system? You might be able to just use one of those for your new 1x system. If your chainline is good, then you don't actually need both a clutch derailleur and a narrrow-wide chainring--the clutch alone is sufficient unless you're doing stuff that bike isn't meant to do. 2x to 1x crank conversions seem to work will when you keep the inner ring, or at least move the big ring over to the inside of the spider. By keeping the inner ring position, you are optimizing the chainline for when you're on the biggest cogs of the cassette, which is where you tend to have chain drop issues when backpedaling. Usually when you're in the smaller cogs you aren't stressing the drivetrain as much and the non-optimal chainline isn't an issue.

·
furker
915 Posts
Was 2X9 actually a real thing from a bike maker in 2007, or was it a 3X9 that's already been converted to 2X9?

Before I did anything, I would find out the BCD of the front chainrings and find out if there is a chainring you can fit on the crank in the gearing you need. To figure out the gearing I need, I'd spend some time on a gearing calculator to work out the numbers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Another vote for 1x11 Shimano here. I prefer how it feels and also really like being able to push or pull the shift lever.

I just built a bike with xt shifter, xt chain and 11-46 cassette, xtr derailleur. I had a sram 1x crankset laying around so I’m using that with 30 tooth Woolf tooth chainring. Shifts like a dream and all the 11s stuff can be found on sale at universal cycles. Good luck finding a complete eagle drivetrain.

For $500 you could go xt level everything (out of xt chains so get xtr/durace) including a new 1x specific crank and new bb cuz that one from 2007 is probably beat. Save some money by using your existing crank as stated above.
Just keep Shimano chain, on Shimano cassette, with Shimano derailleur for primo best shifting. Front chainring doesn’t matter what brand but should be for 11s

30x46 granny gear is good for me. That’s about 18.7 gear inches and I like climbing everything Use Sheldon browns gear calculator to determine what size chainring you need. 28x46 should go up anything.
Cheers

Ya, 11s cassette on a hg free hub you need the spacer

the lower end sram eagle cassettes fit on Shimano hg driver bodies. So, nx and sx. Gx and above you need a new sram xd driver

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I will guess that vintage does not have through axles or wheel diameter most want now, and very likely could have chain line issues. If an AL frame has had a lot of use the likelihood of a crack could increase. The value would be mostly to the owner and not broad market. Be careful what you spend whether money or time.

IMO the sure and safe route would be just replace worn out items or consider a modestly priced 1x or 2x conversion where a wide range cassette and Deore 10 speed can help keep the prices down.

Most performance is going to come from the bike engine, modern wheels, and modern frame. I know this well from still having bikes from different decades, modestly priced bikes, and contemporary high end bikes. Availability is getting better and you can't top the value of parts with a new bike. If performance is the goal here I'd be after a new bike or just replace what is worn out.

·
Registered
680 Posts
shimano 1x11. should be cheap, parts plentiful, and should be compatible with all hub standards etc. 12 speed is current tech, and even deore level, you're gonna be looking at a few hundred bucks at least for everything you need. 11 speed IMO is gonna be the way to go for an older bike like that.

·
Registered
19,346 Posts
Sram SX 12-sp. cassette will fit right on the hub as is but I'd probably replace the driver and get the better GX cassette.

Shimano 11-sp. will bolt right on and is reliable, same with the nicer sram 11-sp.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Go with Shimano or SRAM 11 speed. Shimano 12 speed has been not awesome for reliability and a serious PITA to find parts or chains.

If you want to do 12 speed wait until you want to spend the money on the XD SRAM driver.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.