Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
I'll have to snap off some recent photos of mine.

I recently mounted up a WB-150 and it's looking and working out sweet!

Mine's become somewhat of a pig though. With a pair of free-ride tubes, the WB-150, Avalanche "Woodie" shock, i900-r post, and custom made skid plate and chain tensioner, it's coming in a hair under 39lbs. Alot of the guys seem to be coming in around 34ish? My last ride was 38lbs, I don't notice the weight gain and it actually feels lighter and more nimble than my old 26" Chumba EVO.

I had a pair of the Kodiak's for a few rides... WOW... those were heavy! Couldn't get them off fast enough. Makes quite a bit of difference where you put the weight! I'm running the Nevegal 2.2's, resonably light, would like a bigger foot print though. The Specialized 2.4's look interesting at only 800 grams, not the 1400 of the Kodiak's.

Weather kinda blows right now, I'll see if I can post some pics soon.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
39lbs! man, that sounds like quite the dh ripper!. Hows the new fork vs the Maverick that was on there?

-Sp

BMJ said:
I'll have to snap off some recent photos of mine.

I recently mounted up a WB-150 and it's looking and working out sweet!

Mine's become somewhat of a pig though. With a pair of free-ride tubes, the WB-150, Avalanche "Woodie" shock, i900-r post, and custom made skid plate and chain tensioner, it's coming in a hair under 39lbs. Alot of the guys seem to be coming in around 34ish? My last ride was 38lbs, I don't notice the weight gain and it actually feels lighter and more nimble than my old 26" Chumba EVO.

I had a pair of the Kodiak's for a few rides... WOW... those were heavy! Couldn't get them off fast enough. Makes quite a bit of difference where you put the weight! I'm running the Nevegal 2.2's, resonably light, would like a bigger foot print though. The Specialized 2.4's look interesting at only 800 grams, not the 1400 of the Kodiak's.

Weather kinda blows right now, I'll see if I can post some pics soon.

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Pics....

The WB-150 rocks over the Duc32! Part of it is probably due to the fact that the travel was mismatched to the WFO though. The 150 steers much more acurately over the Duc32 with the 29 inch foot print. I never noticed wind up with the Duc32 and 26" wheels but it's quite noticable with the larger 29" foot print. For-Aft, the Duc was more stiff due to the dual crown obviously.

The Damping, coil support, appropriate travel and torsional stiffness make the 150 a much better fork for the application.

I would have liked to have stuck with my original plan of getting a Duc36 but Mav can't seem to get their act together. Besides, I saved 500 bills going this way and I was able to get a sweet new matching rack as well!:D

Attachments

·
Underskilled
4,639 Posts
Nice bike,
That 150 is a great fork.

I don't think my bike looked that clean new.

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Thanks CG.

I'm kinda anal about my bikes. I clean it off after every ride, even the nooks. This is something that's probably not viable for you since you trail conditions sound like they are usually pretty nasty. Good thing you got the brown.

Liking the 150. I have the opposite problem you had with yours. Mine feels oversprung. I just sent an email over to WB about setting up lighter spring stacks for me. I'd like to get more sag and fuller travel. I'm sitting at 20% sag right now and really have to stuff it hard to find any sense of full travel. 30% sag with an occasional B/O would be nice. We'll see how the spring change goes.

·
2,811 Posts
SinglePivot said:
how about you guys post up your bike setups, weight and pics?

-Sp
This is a size Large WFO9 with 150mm rear end. It's a pretty simple build, the cranks will go back on my JET9 eventually.

- This bike is available for demo if you are in the Front Range/Fort Collins, Colorado area.

Marzocchi 44 140mm tapered steerer
WTB Heavy Duty Hub 150mm rear/ Laserlite Front/ Stans FLOWs. 2 Scoops of Stans sealant.
Thomson Stem
Thomson Post
XT Front Derailleur/XO Rear/X9 shifters
Avid Elixer R 185 front/160mm rear (Will put 185 rear eventually, 160 is all I had ATM)
Niner Flat Top Bar uncut
WTB Weirwolf 2.55's

Bike as pictured is 32.21 pounds.

Thanks,

Brett

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice looking bike! Do you have any more pics of the urge nepal wfo bike?

-Sp

2melow said:
This is a size Large WFO9 with 150mm rear end. It's a pretty simple build, the cranks will go back on my JET9 eventually.

- This bike is available for demo if you are in the Front Range/Fort Collins, Colorado area.

Marzocchi 44 140mm tapered steerer
WTB Heavy Duty Hub 150mm rear/ Laserlite Front/ Stans FLOWs. 2 Scoops of Stans sealant.
Thomson Stem
Thomson Post
XT Front Derailleur/XO Rear/X9 shifters
Avid Elixer R 185 front/160mm rear (Will put 185 rear eventually, 160 is all I had ATM)
Niner Flat Top Bar uncut
WTB Weirwolf 2.55's

Bike as pictured is 32.21 pounds.

Thanks,

Brett

·
Underskilled
4,639 Posts
I am going to brak the scales with the upgraded build.

XL WFO
Kris Holm/CK wheels.
Stouts,
Mani-Poo Dorado Fork
Ks-i900
Atlas Cranks,
Easton stuff.

total weight will be posted as soon as the Dorado graces my doorstep

I would love that Avalanche shoc, but the RP23 works great, it just looks crap

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
i really dont like weighing my bikes, especially the wfo 9 i dont think she likes being on a scale! :madmax: but seriously the reason i dont like weighing them is that once you know the actual weight of your bike you think in the back of your mind omg! this freakin' bike is heavy... in my experience though i always had more fun on a heavier, stronger bike... everytime i go hunting for a new bike i make the mistake and go light and i pay for it...once i walked like 16 miles in sidi dominator shoes through very rocky terrain because of a mechanical, no fun... but since you asked i will tell you, she is a nice and curvy 37 lbs. all my bikes weight between 26lbs to 32lbs, yikes! but everything is heavy duty and strong and i plan to leave it that way, i know im going to have fun this summer regardless, niner makes the most bad ass 29ers! i guess if i wanted to to lose some quick weight for some reason i could just pop off the hammerschmidt, kodiak tires, mallet pedals and gravity dropper seat post and she could be ready for what ever. hey cave giant i didnt catch the weight on your steed? ps. how do you guys get those nice big pics on here?

more pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1

here is my is my spec

niner wfo 9 large
hammerschmidt 170mm arms all mountian
sunline v one handle bar 733mm
truvative holzfeller 60mm stem
wtb 2.5 kodiak tires
wtb vigo saddle chromoly
stans flows rims
hope pro 2 hubs 10mm bolt on rear, 15mm front
marzocchi micro tst 5.5 travel fork
fox rp23 rear shock with boost valve
crank brothers mallet pedals
gravity dropper turbo seat post
hope x2 brakes 203mm front 180mm rear floating rotor
lizard skins charger grips
jagwire cables
kmc 9sl gold chain
shimano hg6 slx, 12-36t cassette
sram xo rear derailiuer
sram xo shifters

Attachments

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
As much as I don't like knowing that my bike weighs 39lbs, it's fun to hear the guys at the bottom of the hill pushing their bikes saying as I crest the top riding mine..."Boy, and that thing weighs 39lbs!".

Besides, it's where the weight resides on the bike I find is more noticable. Geometry, stem lengths and shock settings can help hide the weight as well.

·
beater
5,991 Posts
I haven't weighed mine since I paid for it. I've swapped a few parts since then, and it's currently wearing Kodiaks, so I'd put it in the 38 lb range. Like others have said, I'm not sure I really want to know what it weighs now.

At the moment, it's more than enough. I got in my first ride of the year last Sunday, and it was classic early season- out of shape and out of practice. Uff da. Although, I was thinking more "man, I'm out of shape" than "man, this bike is heavy". It's been a crappy XC skiing year for me.

·
Underskilled
4,639 Posts
The only time my bike feels heavy is carrying it to the car and back again, on the trails it is floaty light!

Have the mani-poo, now just to find some scales.

Not forgetting I have to build up a new wheel as some ****tard stole mine.

·
Old-newbie
382 Posts
My project, so far...

Current weight is 40.25 pounds, but that will go up a bit when I swap out the shock and upgrade the tires. Also waiting for Gravitydropper to get their new seatpost on the market.

Size large frame
Manitou Dorado fork
Manitou ISX-6 rear shock
Hammerschmidt crankset
Saint M810 brakes with 8" rotors
Saint M810 shifters (works great with the HS)
Saint short cage RD
No frigging front derailleur!
Shimano XTR (clipless) pedals
Gordo rims with WTB LDSD hubs, DTS 2.0/1.8 spokes, DTS brass nipples
Stout tires with tubes because without tubes they will blow off the rim if I look at them harshly. This will change.
Blue zip ties and a temporary front hose guide

I would prefer the 150mm rear hub spacing, but I have the 135mm. The 12mm through axle does stiffen up the rear triangle nicely.

Rider weight is a mere 170lb, plus a 15lb pack (water, tools, food, camera, binoculars, pet tarantula, etc)

This has become my main ride for uphill/downhill loops. I do notice the bike weight on the hike a bike sections. It is also apparent on the downhills, but in a very good way.

Update 100405: I tossed the Fox and replaced it with an ISX-6. Now I have Manitou times two! Big improvement over the RP23. I had to add a chamfer to the inside of the upper link to avoid interference with the shoulder of the shock. Only one ride on the new damper, so pressure settings are still in flux. I updated the picture. Photo location was at Bell pass in the McDowell mountains, AZ. The wind was howling through the pass! I was really afraid that the bike would blow over and tumble off the cliff before I could get a shot. Weight is now up to 41lb, 3oz. The bike climbs and descends like a pissed off gorilla. Unfortunately it sort of turns like a gorilla as well. I am still getting the hang of the new fork in the corners.

I named the bike BamBam. When I am mad I call it Bammit.

·
Old-newbie
382 Posts
david8613 said:
she looks like a beast dude, i like it! whats the new gravity dropper gonna be?
Hi David, thanks. The bike really is beautiful, in an ugly sort of way. I love the way it climbs and descends.

The new GD will have 5" of drop, and a 30.9" post. The only date that I can get out of them is "late spring". By the normal manufacturing calendar that would mean about June the 48th, but they have already pushed the date out once (that I am aware of) so I am hoping for something a bit sooner. I am getting too much rest stopping to move my seat up or down.

How do you like the Kodiak tires? I am thinking about giving them a try. The trails here are nothing but loose chunk.

gerG

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
my kodiaks remind of maxxis high rollers on my cannondale prophet i had awhile back. terrible on the up hill, you feel the weight and the knobs digging in, so they dont roll too fast, but once your going down they are great lots good traction, no slipping, and you can lean into them lots knobs.... i dont think im gonna change last time i did that with the high rollers to a faster tire i think they were hutchison pythons dont remember and i just couldnt go as fast as i wanted to on the downhill, i had to constantly check my speed, were the high rollers you could just let it hang out....

1 - 20 of 268 Posts