Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
White brothers Fluid 29 or 2010 Zokes 44 for my WFO? I've heard good and bad about both.

Was hoping for a Duc36.... looks like it might be a figment at this point.:madman:

·
Registered
997 Posts
Be tough and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT for the DUC36!

Once the DUC36 hits the market you will hate the Zokes or the Broth. And the time in between you will be wondering how much better would be the DUC36 ...

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know......................................... It's taking a long time.

I think it's like the Loc-Nes Monster, Sasquash or UFO's, you see plenty of fuzzy pictures of them but you never actually ever see one in person. People dream that one day they'll see one fur shur, and then they just spend the rest of their lives hunting them down and hanging out at silly Si-Fi conventions rather than moving on.

Or......

It's like waiting in the line at the grocery store forever for the person with a hundred and one items to check out. You switch to the line with the person with one item thinking it'll move faster just to be bogged down by a price check or a personal check varification and all the while, the line you were in has moved on! ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have seen it when visiting the maverick/spot location some weeks ago, i have been sitting on the bike and playing around a little.

Feels great.

But I guess it is like with Nessy, once somebody REALLY sees her, nobody will believe it anymore ...

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's one thing to see one, even mess with one..... it's a totally different thing to see a batch on a shelf ready to ship. At least seeing them being assembled would say something about progress.

For all we know, there may just be three that ever get made for the three guys at Maverick.

Back to the original question.
If one is forced to go with one of the other two options, what would your opinions be?

·
beater
6,134 Posts
I was, and chose the 44. Partly because my LBS was really down on WB, partly b/c I wanted to believe that Marzocchi was getting their act together for 2010. Maybe I'm wrongheaded about WB, but the chatter on the boards kind of puts me off. On the other hand, Padre bashed them at every opportunity for years, and now swears by his 150.

The 44 is the only option with a tapered steerer, though. I know Mikesee has a tapered fork on one of his bikes, but think that's still a proto.

My best-case scenario is that a slightly bigger option, like a Lyrik, comes online in a year or so and I can pull the 44 off the WFO and put it on a burly hardtail.

·
Registered
919 Posts
At the package deal price they've been offering, the 44 is the obvious choice.

I have a Duc 32 that I took off my AM 26er a couple of seasons ago, and I would not be too stoked about the 36 unless they've made some significant improvements to the internals.

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would have grabbed the package deal if I'd know they were thinkin of doing it. Bought in too soon like some others and now left out in the cold.

·
Underskilled
4,816 Posts
I think there are three main choices out there for the WFO.

1: WB: I have the fork and when it works it is truly stunning. very stiff, tracks well, nice plush fast travel. It has two problems through.
There is a slight lubrication issue, easily remedied by removing the springs on the seals.
The second is the wipers provided by Enduro are not upto UK conditions, they allow muddy water in. I make custom boots and wipers, but a bit of a faf.

2: Marz- heard nothing but bad things on this fork, however they are almost giving them away online, so for something to use in the meantime, might be ok.

3: modified Fox F36. Looks to be a nice option.

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey CG,

I was hoping you'd chime in since you seem to be the only one out there riding a WB150.

So, the 150's pretty solid? I know you mentioned you had issues setting it up with the new WFO. What were your final conclusions for a proper set up. What's your head angle with such a long fork? Is the 150 a supple fork or more of a big hit fork?

I'm not sold on butchering a Fox36. I'd love a Fox36 option fur shur though.

I like the fact that the Zokes is using the tapered headtube but I'm not sold on it's durability, and the skinny 15mm axle.

I'd love to see the 35mm tapered WB150 go into production but they say that could be another year. They do have a tapered steerer out on some proto 32mm 150's but they're not sure when that option will be available either. Seems like a simple option to introduce myself.

·
Underskilled
4,816 Posts
Have you tried asking them if they would make a one off tapered 32mm?
The designs are modular and they are nice, so they may do it.

The 150 is a very stiff fork although only 32mm. WB say it is something to do with a strong crown and bushing overlap.
Don't know why it is stiff, but it is.

Out of the box the 150 is very linear and always seems to be in the right place.
It is very hard to describe, but the front wheel always seems to be where I want it.

Hmm, putting in to words....

thrashing through a rock garden, flying all over the place, without looking you know exactly what your front wheel is doing and where it is?! no overcompression, rebound always the right speed, hard to describe, but fantastic to ride.
Like a Fox36 but moves faster

The spring is linear and using air to ramp up at the end gave perfect travel, but I found it sticky. I found this linked to higher air pressure and lubrication issues.
Removing springs and dropping the pressure made the fork really fast and responsive, but made doing the travel progression harder.

The magic combination I found was:
negative air in both chambers (pulls into travel well and speeds action of fork)
med springs in both legs + booster springs (these provide the ramp up)
Oil level max (ramps up faster)
air valve on both sides (allows to hold a negative pressure on spring leg)
5 weight oil (makes compression/rebound faster)
homemade wipers and boots (make the fork live through English mud)

but as said before you can tune it how you want.

I do have to stress the seals may be an issue

·
Underskilled
4,816 Posts
oh and I also put an extra negative spring in.
Not sure why apart from I wanted to see what it would do =-)

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I mentioned it to them a couple of weeks ago and they said it's still in prototype stages. I'm sure they could sell it seperate when the time comes, but as most others, with the pressed parts you'd be looking at a whole upper assembly I'm sure.

Thanks for the set up info. It does look like you tune the crap out of it. I've done much with my Duc32 and was hoping to have the same options with the phantom Duc36, but I'm getting leary that that will ever happen.

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good to hear. I've heard more negatives on that fork than posatives.

I cancelled my pre-order on the Duc36 and placed an order for the WB-150. I tried to get the tapered steerer they're playing with but they said it's still not available and they don't know when. That was the problem with Duc36.

According to Maverick, they still don't have a vender to actually manufacture the fork yet! I was led to believe numberous times that they were in production and would be available at multiple later dates on last years calandar. Now they say that they're pushing hard for something in April. I find that hard to believe since they will still need to run through the Q/C of th final vendors product and trail test it to make sure it's up to they're liking. If not, and most likely there will be something that needs tweeking, it'll set out delivery even further. I'd be surprised if they have something fully functional and sellable by InterBike 2010 at this point.

For once, I'm going to go the route of a time tested product like the WB forks. They've been doing them for years and have much better reviews than the Zokes have been getting lately. I'd love to get a hold of a Duc36 at some point but maybe it's best I stop yearning for it and let someone else suffer the woes of a first year products hiccups. That is if it every materializes.

I wish Maverick luck. My choice has been made.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.