Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanted to know what kind of disc brake system are you wfo 9 guys using, since this bike covers a big spectrum of riding styles i wanted to see what people got on there sleds...

·
Underskilled
4,751 Posts
I use formula the One.
When used to them, awesome brake.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Big rotors rule

david8613 said:
anyone running elixers cr on there wfo 9, or rip...
I'm running Elixir CR on my 09 Rip9 & like them,Running 8inch front & 7 inch rear,Only problem I had was the G3 rotor on the rear made lots of noise when not braking hard,I put a G2 rotor on & had no more problems.

I don't get why people use 6 inch rotors on a 29er (well on tite XC corse without big stops or speed I guess they would be ok ), You will get more control from a larger disc & a lesser caliper than you will ever get with a grunty caliper & a smaller disc.

·
mtbr member
249 Posts
Formula RX's with 180 rotors at both ends (awaiting a 203 front - they were out of stock when I ordered). Powerfull and relatively light, I'm very impressed.

·
Monkey Wrench
353 Posts
Our shop demo WFO is running CR's with 185F/160R and has plenty of power. They are a little noisy when wet and there isn't enough braking to dry them off, but that's the only time.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i picked up a really nice deal on some hayes stroker aces 4 pots with 8" rotors, but those dang elixers keep calling me, has anyone ever compared the two brakes? which has better stopping power/modulation/dissapate heat better. im just wondering if im missing out on something cause those elixers have such a huge and i mean huge following...

·
mtbr member
249 Posts
david8613 said:
i picked up a really nice deal on some hayes stroker aces 4 pots with 8" rotors, but those dang elixers keep calling me, has anyone ever compared the two brakes? which has better stopping power/modulation/dissapate heat better. im just wondering if im missing out on something cause those elixers have such a huge and i mean huge following...
I've never tried the Hayes Stroker but I have had a couple of rides on the Elixirs on a Rip9. They're good and certainly a lot better than the Juicy's but I didn't feel that they were any bettter than the current offerings from Shimano and Formula. They get a lot of OEM spec and that has made them the current "cool" brake to have. Don't get me wrong, they are very good, I just don't think that they're clearly better than their competitors. It's probably more of an issue of personal preference, there's only one way to find out how good the Hayes brakes are - try 'em. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts