Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently stripped out the derauiller hanger threads on my Bullit and as such I've been looking around for possible alternatives. As of now, helicoiling is about $60 and a new swing arm is around $260. I was planning on helicoiling it, but then I saw that Supergo is selling the Weyless 67 frame for $229 w/o shock. So I'm thinking why not just switch all my componentry over to a brand new frame with replaceable drop outs (not to mention I can run a through axle if I want to)? My main questions are:

1. How do the two frames compare (stiffness, geometry, quality, etc.)?
2. Are the shock lengths the same (meaning can I just swap my 5th from my Bullit to the 67)?
3. Is this a good idea?

·
Registered
361 Posts
justflow said:
I recently stripped out the derauiller hanger threads on my Bullit and as such I've been looking around for possible alternatives. As of now, helicoiling is about $60 and a new swing arm is around $260. I was planning on helicoiling it, but then I saw that Supergo is selling the Weyless 67 frame for $229 w/o shock. So I'm thinking why not just switch all my componentry over to a brand new frame with replaceable drop outs (not to mention I can run a through axle if I want to)? My main questions are:

1. How do the two frames compare (stiffness, geometry, quality, etc.)?
2. Are the shock lengths the same (meaning can I just swap my 5th from my Bullit to the 67)?
3. Is this a good idea?
I dunno about the shock lengths on the bullit , A 9in shock with whatever at least a 2.75 stroke is what you need

Weyless is better. Better tubing, replacible dropouts...ETC except the are outta business for a bit.

It is a good idea.

Just wait till school gets out and raptor dude gives you a lecture on this bike...

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Or you could buy a $3 t-bolt.

Or get your own helicoil kit for about $20 at most.

Whoever charges you $60 to put in a helicoil should be castrated.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
I roll a 67 and its a great frame. I would definetley get a new frame. 5 year warranty, good tubing, lots of good details, replacable DROPOUTS, etc. Get it...its a really fun ride.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Raptordude said:
I roll a 67 and its a great frame. I would definetley get a new frame. 5 year warranty, good tubing, lots of good details, replacable DROPOUTS, etc. Get it...its a really fun ride.
Just get one of these and save your cash for something else...

Dropout Saver, Dropout Thickness < 7mm /Each

Price: $9.50

Item #WB-DS2: Stripped rear derailleur hanger threads are not uncommon on mountain bikes, and repairs can be difficult. An easy solution is to drill out the old threads with a 15/32" drill and slide in one of these precision stainless steel inserts. They provide new 10 x 25.4 (1mm) threads so you can remount the derailleur quickly and securely. Many frame manufacturers are using these Re-Threadz inserts for repair of bikes under warranty.

https://www.thethirdhand.com/index....uts/Braze Ons&tc=Thread Repair&item_id=WB-DS2

·
Registered
87 Posts
That bike looks like a great deal! I think i may get one. Does any one know how much it would be to get the frame a budget coil shock and a seat post for that thing? Im tryin to be under $500 that all the money i got. Any recomendations on wear to get the rear shock and the seat post would be great too. thanks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
you should be able to keep it around 500, 200 frame, 300 shock 20 seat post, I got the shock for mine off ebay, thats what I say to do. the 67s arnt bad bikes got mine last spring and no regrets for a $200 frame I love it

·
Registered
359 Posts
Frankenschwinn said:
Just get one of these and save your cash for something else...

Dropout Saver, Dropout Thickness < 7mm /Each

Price: $9.50

Item #WB-DS2: Stripped rear derailleur hanger threads are not uncommon on mountain bikes, and repairs can be difficult. An easy solution is to drill out the old threads with a 15/32" drill and slide in one of these precision stainless steel inserts. They provide new 10 x 25.4 (1mm) threads so you can remount the derailleur quickly and securely. Many frame manufacturers are using these Re-Threadz inserts for repair of bikes under warranty.

https://www.thethirdhand.com/index....uts/Braze Ons&tc=Thread Repair&item_id=WB-DS2

There's your ticket right there. Anything else would be silly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I definetly will not be just throwing away my Bullit frame. However, I was thinking that if all the parts are transferable between the Bullit and the 67, then why not pick up the 67 for $219 and that way if my swingarm does fail in the future, I'll have a back up anyway. Also, I may have to get a new rear wheel, so I was thinkng of upgrading to a through axel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.