Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 12 days ago i got a 27.5x2.8 Rekon, Maxxis 120 tpi to put on my 40 mm rear rim. For my use i realy like it.
I am curious, do you know of any tire that does well on wet roots?
My first choice is 2.8 but 3.0 would do.
Happy trails !

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
IME, nothing does well on wet roots. Some are slightly better than others. I find more moderate to smaller knobs are better than few big knobs. Also, fresh tires with sharp edged knobs are better than used tires...even those that still look pretty good. I'd lean toward normal widths rather than plus tires.

·
Cycologist
10,335 Posts
I bought a 27.5x2.8 Rekon for the front of my Unit, with a 27.5x2.8 Ikon for the rear, also on 40mm rims. I haven't ridden them on really wet roots yet.

A few weeks ago I was riding a very rooty trail on my full suspension with 2.25 Vittoria Mezcals while it was drizzling and then pouring. I was doing a lot of slipping and sliding but not sure any tire would have done better. Wet roots are kinda like ice. I think you have to rely more on riding technique, pick your lines and know how to shift your weight and be prepared to do some sudden sideways sliding.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I can tell you that the WTB Vigilante is a TERRIBLE wet root tire. Great on dry and loamy stuff but horrible on wet roots and only marginally better on wet rock.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a 27.5x2.8 Rekon for the front of my Unit, with a 27.5x2.8 Ikon for the rear, also on 40mm rims. I haven't ridden them on really wet roots yet.

A few weeks ago I was riding a very rooty trail on my full suspension with 2.25 Vittoria Mezcals while it was drizzling and then pouring. I was doing a lot of slipping and sliding but not sure any tire would have done better. Wet roots are kinda like ice. I think you have to rely more on riding technique, pick your lines and know how to shift your weight and be prepared to do some sudden sideways sliding.
Ya i know the angle is critical. I was trying to be at 90 degrees or find the center of a V. I am asking to learn but i know pedaling is a way to learn. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Avoid them. Get off and walk. Take up knitting. Anything but ride a bicycle over f*****in' wet roots!

And they make it look so easy on the YouTube videos...
Well i try to accelerate before so i will not need traction. If i see no plan B i play it safe, i want to ride often so when i feel the need yes i walk.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I was pretty impressed with a XR4 29 x 3" up front on my Stache compared to a minion DHF, it was night and day, when things got wet the minions went sideways. I'm back on a XR2 up front now that the trails are back to hero dirt, I'll probably use the XR4 up front for spring and fall riding.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone.
kpdemello i am going to try the unweight, the 90 degrees i had it figured out
I am more into climbing so i focus on my rear traction
We had some rain, so time for practice.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
No shame in walking, other than professional DH racers I don't get why people enjoy riding over wet roots. But if you must, gotta make sure to hit them perpendicular/squared away to avoid the inevitable front wheel slide out. I have found lower air pressure in plus tires makes a bigger difference than the tire tread pattern.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
I ride 2.4" Conti Trail Kings all winter and we have lots of roots and it's frequently moist here in Coastal BC. They work very well. I'm running the old version which is larger casing volume than a Maxxis 2.5" tire so they are pretty big as well.

Not a plus tire though.

Conti is apparently coming out with a 2.6" version which is a step in the right direction. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ride 2.4" Conti Trail Kings all winter and we have lots of roots and it's frequently moist here in Coastal BC. They work very well. I'm running the old version which is larger casing volume than a Maxxis 2.5" tire so they are pretty big as well.

Not a plus tire though.

Conti is apparently coming out with a 2.6" version which is a step in the right direction. :thumbsup:
On a previous bike with thin rims i enjoyed some Conti. I will look their offerings. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
No shame in walking, other than professional DH racers I don't get why people enjoy riding over wet roots. But if you must, gotta make sure to hit them perpendicular/squared away to avoid the inevitable front wheel slide out. I have found lower air pressure in plus tires makes a bigger difference than the tire tread pattern.
There's a lot of areas that if you walk the roots you might as well be a hiker because you won't be riding much. I live in one of those areas.

Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame Natural environment

Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel

·
Cycologist
10,335 Posts
There's a lot of areas that if you walk the roots you might as well be a hiker because you won't be riding much. I live in one of those areas.
A lot of the trails around me are similar. I don't normally ride when it's wet but lots of times the roots are wet with dew and with the high humidity, it can kind of approach tropical rainforest type conditions. That's how it was today. Maybe it had rained a bit during the night, roots were slippery and at one point, I grabbed onto a small tree and received a shower. And roots aren't the only thing that get slippery, went down hitting this off camber slight climb:

Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle tire Mountain bike

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.