Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
stl_burner
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're looking to make a trip to Western WV for a camping / riding hiatus. We need around three days of good XC riding. We also want to camp or stay at some kind of primitive cabin, optimally at the trails. Showers are good. Any help / suggestions would be extremely appreciated. Oh yeah, it wouldn't be bad to hit a bar one night.Thanks in advance.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Where exactly will you be? Around Charleston or Huntington? If in the Charleston area I suggest Kanawha State Forest. There is a lot of great riding and camping sites. It is only about 10 - 15 minutes from Charleston and plenty of bars.

·
stl_burner
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either One

LowCel said:
Where exactly will you be? Around Charleston or Huntington? If in the Charleston area I suggest Kanawha State Forest. There is a lot of great riding and camping sites. It is only about 10 - 15 minutes from Charleston and plenty of bars.
Either one will work, really. Huntington would be closer, but willing to drive further for better options.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
I believe the extra drive would be worth it. The trails at Kanawha State Forest are some of the best in the country (in my opinion of course). I will be riding there this evening. I am just as happy riding there as I am anywhere. There is some riding in Huntington but nothing I would bother traveling for.

·
stl_burner
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a little more please.

LowCel said:
I believe the extra drive would be worth it. The trails at Kanawha State Forest are some of the best in the country (in my opinion of course). I will be riding there this evening. I am just as happy riding there as I am anywhere. There is some riding in Huntington but nothing I would bother traveling for.
How many miles of trails? (Three days worth?) From the website there doesn't seem to be a lot of mileage.
Can you recommend some trails? Accomadations?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
"How many miles of trails? (Three days worth?) From the website there doesn't seem to be a lot of mileage"

I don't know how many miles for sure but I would have to say that a combo (ssingle track and fire road) of about 30 to 40 of the trails that I know about. I know that there are many more hidden trails that I've never explored and have stumbled across out there. Don't let it fool ya. 95% of the people who have ridden there can't get enough of the place. I live in DC now but make trips back there to ride my ol stomping grounds.

"Can you recommend some trails?"

Ya....All of them. :D

Accomadations?

There are hotel, motels and no-tells in Kanawha City wich is about 10 miuntes from the Forest via the back roads. More like 25 minutes if you go up to Corridor G and follow the signs in from there.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
It is easy to get 15 - 25 mile rides in there.

Here is my favorite ride, it's probably close to 20 miles. Up Middle Ridge Road (fire road) down Teaberry (single track), up Mossy (single track), down Ballard (single track), up Hoffman (rough fire road), down Black Bear (nasty a$$ single track), up pigeon (single track), down pine ridge (single track). This will take you a few hours if not riding at race pace, if at race pace will just be a couple of hours. The next day you can play around on the Middle ridge trails, go down Mossy then hit the other side of the forest and ride wildcat and some other trails. There is plenty of riding to occupy two or three days. Actually, there is plenty of riding to keep me happy for years.

As for the camping they are just basic spots. I don't believe there are any hook ups but I could be wrong. There are restrooms, not sure if there are any showers. I have never camped there.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
"Here is my favorite ride, it's probably close to 20 miles. Up Middle Ridge Road (fire road) down Teaberry (single track), up Mossy (single track), down Ballard (single track), up Hoffman (rough fire road), down Black Bear (nasty a$$ single track), up pigeon (single track), down pine ridge (single track)."

You WUSSY....Go finish up the old Black Bear course if you do all that!! :p Up Dunlop and down Wildcat. All you did was the old BEGINNER course! :D

"if at race pace will just be a couple of hours."

About an hour and 45 minutes is what that use to take me before I started up Dunlop. My usual finish time for the sport class was about 2 hr and 15 to 30 minutes. That was about 18 mile.

"There is plenty of riding to occupy two or three days. Actually, there is plenty of riding to keep me happy for years.

What he said :D :D :D

"As for the camping they are just basic spots. I don't believe there are any hook ups but I could be wrong. There are restrooms, not sure if there are any showers. I have never camped there."

There are some spots that have hook-up's. I don't know how much they are. The basic rate the last time I stayed there (2 yr ago) was $15 for 1 person and $2 for each additional person. They sell firewood at about $3/armload but this is a state park so don't think about cutting your own. Free showers and restrooms. You may want to take something to run the granddaddy longlegs out before you shower though. :)

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
LOL, said my favorite route. That is a good route to do and still have plenty of energy to ride the next two days. BTW, two years ago when I raced beginner my time was 1:46:43. That is knowing the trails pretty well though. Personally I would rather take more time and enjoy the forest.

BTW crashedandburned when are you going to make it in for a ride? Looking forward to it.

stlburner - If you want drop me a pm before your trip, I'll be happy to show you around the forest if I am in town.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There's plenty to be found. My favorite after-work/school ride is to spin up Middle Ridge, ride all of the Middle Ridge trails (its some great singletrack and between 7 and 8 miles long) then drop Black Bear or scream down Hoffman fire rd. back to the start point. Occasionally I throw a variant in... such as up Middle Ridge, down Polecat, back up Middle Ridge, same thing from there.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Sort of did that ride last night. Rode with Dave R, Amy D and Adam A. Just a nice relaxing ride up middle, did all of the trails both ways then went down teaberry (my favorite trail). It was a little interesting riding teaberry last night though since right before we started down it I busted my fork. Had to do it with no front suspension and the front dropped down 4" lower than usual. The switchbacks and rocks were a little more interesting but still a blast.

Time to shop for a new fork, thinking about a Fox F100 RLT or F100X. Decisions, decisions, decisions.......

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
You mean the big tree that looks like it uprooted and fell across the small creek crossing at the lower part of teaberry? We stopped and took a look at it to make sure that it wasn't intentionally put there. Looked like it was just a fallen tree, that was a pretty good sized tree though.

BTW, are you calling Pool Road Shrewsbury? I knew there was a different name for Pool I just couldn't remember what it was. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
yeah... that's the road's real name. I often ride onto that after Teaberry when I don't want to ride the remaining tech section. But from there I ride the quick drops down to Davis Creek Trail... I'm fond of the 2nd one on the left, the first one is near suicide if you miss the bridge.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
crashedandburned - man you need to schedule a trip to Charleston pretty soon. The forest is perfect right now. Had a great ride last night. Didn't have a lot of time so kept it relatively short. Up middle, down teaberry, up mossy, down ballard, up hoffman and down the bear. I did my quickest ride up middle last night, did it in 10:37 from the gate to teaberry. I was also able to do hoffman in my middle ring again, haven't done that for a while. Spectator falls did end up bringing me back to reality though, slammed me pretty hard. I gave it two attempts, just wasn't my day.

Overall it was a great week, was able to ride out at the forest three times. There is no race this weekend so I decided to just have a nice fun week riding. Figure I needed the week off of training to avoid burnout.

pipedream - Are you still riding with the guys from outdoor extremes?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
LowCel said:
crashedandburned - man you need to schedule a trip to Charleston pretty soon. The forest is perfect right now. Had a great ride last night. Didn't have a lot of time so kept it relatively short. Up middle, down teaberry, up mossy, down ballard, up hoffman and down the bear. I did my quickest ride up middle last night, did it in 10:37 from the gate to teaberry. I was also able to do hoffman in my middle ring again, haven't done that for a while. Spectator falls did end up bringing me back to reality though, slammed me pretty hard. I gave it two attempts, just wasn't my day.

Overall it was a great week, was able to ride out at the forest three times. There is no race this weekend so I decided to just have a nice fun week riding. Figure I needed the week off of training to avoid burnout.

pipedream - Are you still riding with the guys from outdoor extremes?
I'm gonna try to be for Memorial weekend. I'll give ya a call later this week.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Sounds good. I could do an easy ride that Saturday but Sunday is Race the Trace in South Charleston. I'll be able to ride Memorial day though if you will still be in town.

Will you be bringing the boss with ya?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.