Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

521 - 538 of 538 Posts

·
Ride on
36 Posts
Thanks mike I know of those too. Haven’t got up there to check them out. But will for sure this summer. Just built a KHS over winter and ordered new 29” bike I few weeks ago waiting on it not saying name of it cause tends to start a run down. I see it like this I could afford it and it will work for what I want it for and that’s what matters to me. But thank you again I do ride Yough river trail to cause I literally live right at entrance to it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bavington

Anyone been on the Knowlton side of Hillman/Bavington lately (the figure 8, old model airplane out n' back, etc.)? Haven't been out since last year and it was in terrible shape. Overgrown, horse destruction, etc.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yo! Reviving an old thread. I've seen a lot of trails around Pittsburgh on here an trailforks/mtbproject, but what about a little more north? Is there any good stuff north of I-80 I should check out? I typically have been riding out west so I know things will be quite different :) but I love biking!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yo! Reviving an old thread. I've seen a lot of trails around Pittsburgh on here an trailforks/mtbproject, but what about a little more north? Is there any good stuff north of I-80 I should check out? I typically have been riding out west so I know things will be quite different :) but I love biking!
Someone should post in the Western PA thread every once in a while. It's actually sad how long it sits dormant at times.

Moraine is worth experiencing if you've never been, definitely unique terrain. It's not quite north of 80 but getting close.

I'm also always one to lobby people to come east. Definitely depends on what you like, but I personally think Laurel Mountain is worth riding. Somewhere from a few years ago I have a word file saved with suggested routes if you're interested.

·
Registered
482 Posts
As said Moraine is good, Bring your "A" game for sure. JAKES ROCKS in Warren is a must do! Awesome place almost 40 miles. You can do two days for sure.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I see Jakes Rocks on MTB project, that will be one to check out for sure since I'll be up in Meadville most of the time, but will come down to Pittsburgh as well.

·
Registered
482 Posts
When you're in the Burgh shoot me a PM. Our group rides every Sun, Tue and Thur. Should keep ya entertained unless you're a super fast racer guy...

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you are in NW PA Jake's Rocks has a lot of variety, flow, downhill and rocks mostly machine built with some features and alternate lines. There are also multiple old school single track trails around Warren with lots of rocks and roots.

·
Registered
135 Posts
All of Jake's Rocks and a lot of the other trails around Warren are in Trail Forks. You might also want to check out Two Mile Run between Titusville and Franklin. It's mostly tight single track.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for the info! I hit up two mile run Friday and Jakes Rocks yesterday. Two mile run is old school, tight single track like what I learned on back in the 90s while Jakes rocks is new school, machine built trails. Both were a lot of fun, I wish Jake's Rocks was closer to me I really liked Urses and I see they are building more trails! Any stuff not on trailforks up near Meadville?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Thanks for the info! I hit up two mile run Friday and Jakes Rocks yesterday. Two mile run is old school, tight single track like what I learned on back in the 90s while Jakes rocks is new school, machine built trails. Both were a lot of fun, I wish Jake's Rocks was closer to me I really liked Urses and I see they are building more trails! Any stuff not on trailforks up near Meadville?
Mount Pleasant in Edinboro. Not all the trails are listed on TF yet but it's worth the drive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
hey bumping this thread for info on White Oak Park. I grew up nearby (Coulter) and my parents still live there, will be visiting them and taking a bike, wondering if they're worth riding. saw a few trails on trailforks and wasn't sure if they're legit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
White Oak is worth riding. Nothing technical, easy to intermediate trails with some short punchy climbs behind the Angora Gardens side. I can do them on a single speed so you shouldn't have a problem. Check the Allegheny county parks website for blazed maps.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was going to say the same. My in-laws live in Irwin, and White Oak is just a few minutes away. If you are in the area, it's definitely worth riding. As mentioned, there's nothing terribly difficult, but I always enjoy riding there.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
thanks for the info. that's kinda what i figured, that it'd be worth riding for how close it is.

any idea how it drains? we arrived yesterday, got some rain last night, and there's heavy rain in the forecast today.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I went to kennerdell yesterday, does anyone want to show me around out there sometime? I ended up mostly on tractor grades but I think there is more in those woods...

·
Pro Coffee Drinker
77 Posts
@alex345 I haven't been out to Kennerdell in a few years but I was wondering if anyone was going to bring it up in this thread. I downloaded and used the map found here:

https://www.mobilemaplets.com/showplace/11251

Our typical route was to start at the bridge parking and ride the yellow trail along the river to the pipeline trail and head uphill. Bring your lungs because it is a rather long, unrelenting climb full of softball-sized rocks. I typically would turn right onto "Ridge" and then a hard left onto "Windows", which is a beautiful trail that overlooks the river with some brief exposure and lots of rocks and roots. From there you can decide how long to make the ride. A fun downhill is "blunder", which is a crazy boulder-filled mostly dry creekbed. Usually saved that for last.

I really enjoyed kennerdell because it really has the "off the beaten path" feel, especially compared to my home trails in SEPA.

-DS

·
Registered
135 Posts
I grew up in Kennerdell. I haven't been down there for almost 40 years. If you use the Trailforks App, the trails are all on it.

521 - 538 of 538 Posts