Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

481 - 500 of 538 Posts

·
monster member
953 Posts
That's a good warning about the ice. I forgot it rained a little Mon/Tue. No studs for me, so I'll probably skip mtb this weekend. Back up to the 50's next week.

·
Registered
720 Posts
That's a good warning about the ice. I forgot it rained a little Mon/Tue. No studs for me, so I'll probably skip mtb this weekend. Back up to the 50's next week.
Yeah definitely a lot of ice out there, maybe the bit of snow we received this morning will help cover it.
Today through Saturday morning is the last chance for MTB riding for a bit, as back to the 50's = thaw = no riding until we get prolonged cold again, which doesn't appear to be happening in the 10 day forecast.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #485
PA has really sucked for the past few years! These past few days have been warm but wayyyyyy too wet!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sure was depressing this week. We had our Wed ride on Tue to beat the rain and wound up doing an Urban Assault.
It was sorta old school, took the MTB instead of the Gravel bike. Hopped curbs, did some steps, back streets & alleys thru Squirrel Hill, Shady Side, Bloomfield, Point Breeze it was cool, like back in the mid 90's. 17 miles and then beer and grub at D's.
Tomorrow is looking nice and firm & frozen, Boyce @ noon.

·
The White Jeff W
5,684 Posts
Got a couple rides in this week. Did some pavement/gravel with some long hills climbs Friday and rode single track at Bradys Run yesterday. Tread surface was frozen solid and rode well. One of the locals hiked out and cleaned up the downed trees which is awesome because its usually me doing that. Thanks Jim!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have yet to ride there. Ride past all the time while working out there. Where is the trail head at? Any good specific route ?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
Another "Urban Assault" last Wed..... Bavington yesterday, couldn't have been more perfect! If I'm not mistaken I think Dave Beiber is the trail steward out there and he and his crew are doing a bang up job. 16 miles of awesomeness, even the model airplane trail was completely open and ridable.

·
The White Jeff W
5,684 Posts

·
monster member
953 Posts
Hey, who did all that work in Bavington to get the old model airplane trail cleared? Was it an organized group, like a local trail maintenance group?

·
monster member
953 Posts
Another "Urban Assault" last Wed..... Bavington yesterday, couldn't have been more perfect! If I'm not mistaken I think Dave Beiber is the trail steward out there and he and his crew are doing a bang up job. 16 miles of awesomeness, even the model airplane trail was completely open and ridable.
Have to make it out to one of these urban assaults sometime. Sounds like a nice revisit to being 13 on my bmxer!

·
The White Jeff W
5,684 Posts
Hey, who did all that work in Bavington to get the old model airplane trail cleared? Was it an organized group, like a local trail maintenance group?
I think it was Trail Pittsburgh doing the work there. I remember seeing Facebook posts about trail work days there.

The horse riders have been doing a lot of work there too.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Correct...Dave Beiber is leading the effort there. When I rode with him late fall he told us he has permission to connect old B and new B with a new trail. Anybody familiar with the old connector (slog fest even in a drought) knows this will be a welcome addition.

This will allow for a 30+ mile ride for those who wish to do so.

·
The White Jeff W
5,684 Posts
Correct...Dave Beiber is leading the effort there. When I rode with him late fall he told us he has permission to connect old B and new B with a new trail. Anybody familiar with the old connector (slog fest even in a drought) knows this will be a welcome addition.

Sweet

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
The White Jeff W
5,684 Posts
Hiked Brady's Run yesterday. The ground was still frozen but beginning to thaw as I hiked.

Stopped by the A Frame trailhead this morning just to see how things are looking. Ground was thawed and a little soft but totally rideable. This afternoon would be a great time for a fat bike group ride to smooth out the ruts while its still soft. Of course, rain tonight, so...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hiked Brady's Run yesterday. The ground was still frozen but beginning to thaw as I hiked.

Stopped by the A Frame trailhead this morning just to see how things are looking. Ground was thawed and a little soft but totally rideable. This afternoon would be a great time for a fat bike group ride to smooth out the ruts while its still soft. Of course, rain tonight, so...
I rode Frick Crater trail for two laps today. It’s perfect and dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
monster member
953 Posts

Good to know it was Trail Pittsburgh. Just sent them $20. It was nice not getting all ripped up with stickers like in years past.

·
Registered
650 Posts

Yeah, trails were in great shape this afternoon. No mud, just the usual wet spots (we really need to reroute that lower flat section after the Anderson bridge switchback decent). Too bad it won't last long...

·
Registered
720 Posts
The last week of good weather has almost completely dried out Frick Park. All of the main trails are in good shape with only a few wet seeps remaining.

481 - 500 of 538 Posts