Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 538 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Geez -- so many threads recently for Eastern, PA trails -- about to start this one so we can talk about all of the great trails here.

Went to Laurel Mountain yesterday -- it was my first time there this year. Some spots were a little bit wet but overall, it was great. Tryin to put together a loop from the top parking lot at the warming hut down to Wolf Rocks and back.

Going to try White Oak Park tonight before the rain!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have a good map of North Park?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Hermit
990 Posts
I had a ride at Bavington a couple of weeks (and rain storms) ago, and it looked surprisingly good.

Also heard that Moraine is good, but that is no surprise.

For NW PA riders, friends in Warren have been building trails just north of the state line at Harris Hill Extension Forest, and they reported the other day that their trails are good to go.

Here's a link to a map I made a little while back that has most of the western PA trail systems.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-pKUxpa_yPk.k1bkr73WFE4o&hl=en

Also, you can check Trailforks for more info:

Pennsylvania Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Steve Z

·
Registered
115 Posts
I rode North Park last night (North Ridge) and it was 99% good. The 1% muddy I'm guessing will just about always be that way, but I could be wrong.

I just moved to Wexford from Denver (can ride to the trailhead from my house) so this will be my home turf. If this stays active, I'll try to keep reporting in with NP trail conditions.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very awesome! I ended up going to White Oak this morning instead of Raystown because it looked like rain. The trails at White Oak are in good shape 99/1 as well. Though it did start raining pretty heavy at one point when I decided to wrap things up. They're still leaf covered, still unmarked, still just as confusing as always for me when I'm there but it's a fun place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
Brady's Run is my home turf, and it's a great park and community. People know how to get **** done here when it comes to trail maintenance and building. North Park and Bavington (Hillman State Park) are also great networks, but a little further away for me. I'd love to check out the trails in the Laurel Highlands and Ohio Pyle sometime this year. I like exploring new places.

·
Registered
115 Posts
One thing I'm wondering guys, since I haven't lived here very long, is how long the trails take to dry out after a rain. We got a pretty good soak up here next to North Park for about half the day yesterday. I'd assume that the trails are soggy today, but if we don't get anymore rain, does it usually take a couple days? Out west I had a pretty good feel for what trails drained slowly (usually along rivers and with a lot of canopy) and which drained quickly (the decomposed granite was almost instantly dry)... haven't ridden enough here yet to know.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
One thing I'm wondering guys, since I haven't lived here very long, is how long the trails take to dry out after a rain. We got a pretty good soak up here next to North Park for about half the day yesterday. I'd assume that the trails are soggy today, but if we don't get anymore rain, does it usually take a couple days? Out west I had a pretty good feel for what trails drained slowly (usually along rivers and with a lot of canopy) and which drained quickly (the decomposed granite was almost instantly dry)... haven't ridden enough here yet to know.
North Park drains reasonably well. Some of the higher traffic trails (Pfsundenstein, for example) may take a little bit longer than others. I imagine things should be pretty good this weekend.

Bavington drains really well, the pine needles help a lot, too. Bavington has seen a big increase in traffic over the last couple years though, so if it gets a really good soaking, it might take a little longer. Generally the Figure 8 loop off knowlton rd is good to go more often than not. Connecting the Knowlton Rd side to Haul Rd side involves a section that is pretty much perpetually wet.

Roaring Run in Apollo is another that drains really well.

Moraine is another good destination during the wet seasons.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Oh, and one MAJOR thing for Bavington - keep in mind, they ARE STATE GAME LANDS and is open for hunting.

Relevant info for the current season, from PADCNR site; REMINDER: It is unlawful to ride a bicycle, horse or any other vehicle on Hillman State Park before 1 p.m. from Saturday, April 11th 2015 to Saturday, May 16th 2015 and it is closed all day from Monday, May 18th to Saturday, May 30th, except on Sundays due to Spring Gobbler Season. Please reference Title 58 of the Pennsylvania Game Commission Rules and Regulations Hillman State Park is known as State Game Lands 432

Be sure to check the PADCNR site for other seasons and times of the year!

·
Registered
650 Posts
It depends on so many factors. For example, last week it rained all week, from Monday until Friday at noon. But Friday afternoon and Saturday were very windy, lots of sunlight, and the trails were good to go by Sunday. Of course, the low lying areas will retain water for many days, but the stuff cut into hillsides and the higher terrain will dry out within 2 days. Bavington does handle the rain pretty well because of the pines, BUT there is not nearly as much elevation change there, so the low-lying areas will stay wet longer than places like North Park or Brady's Run, in my experience. In Ohio were the terrain isn't as hilly, like West Branch State Park or Alum Creek near Columbus, the trails can be out of commission for weeks at times. I'm really glad I live so close to PA (I actually work in PA). Mohican is one of the few places in Ohio that drains well, I suspect mostly because of the elevation.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rode 20 miles in Bavington today, great as always!

As for spring gobbler season, this is from the Trail Pittsburgh (PTAG) Facebook page:

"I called the SW Region office, then Harrisburg, then the SW Region law enforcement office (Officer Dan Sitler) who manages the NW region of Washington County and specifically Hillman State Park (gameland SGL-432). Spring Gobbler starts May 2 and runs from sunrise to noon. You can ride after 1PM up until May 16th inclusive. After May 16 there is no riding for the last two weeks of May. There is also a single day of youth hunting on April 25. The regulation on page 19 was meant to cover the fluctuating starting date year to year. From the officer in charge of Hillman Sate Park, you are permitted to ride the entire month of April (except April 25). Starting on May 2 you can ride anytime after 1PM. Starting May 18 you can NOT ride AT ANY TIME through the end of the May.He freely allowed the use of his name in the event a game commission officer stops you. If they have a differing opinion have them contact Officer Dan Sitler."

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
You can always ride Bavington on Sunday,no matter what is in season.

You can't hunt anywhere in PA on Sunday.

·
Registered
115 Posts
North Park was fantastic today. Rode the Back 9 / V8 and it was great. Rain's in the forecast tomorrow but hoping to report back in on Monday.

1 - 20 of 538 Posts