Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading down to WNC with my wife to celebrate the 40th birthday in August. Trying to find the best trails for me to SS and her to enjoy. We've both ridden Tsali before, which we BOTH found very tame, but fun anyway. I've ridden some of Dupont(on the SS) and alittle of Pisgah(Mullinax).

Planning on staying a few nights in Brevard and one night near Nantahala Outdoor Center(might run the Nanny for fun, its been years).

What do you recommend for us? We'd like a long easy ride for one day. A day of pure scenery(thinking Dupont), and a day of pure hell with both of us walking alot, but having fun anyway!

Thanks,

MC

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
MellowCat said:
Heading down to WNC with my wife to celebrate the 40th birthday in August. Trying to find the best trails for me to SS and her to enjoy. We've both ridden Tsali before, which we BOTH found very tame, but fun anyway. I've ridden some of Dupont(on the SS) and alittle of Pisgah(Mullinax).

Planning on staying a few nights in Brevard and one night near Nantahala Outdoor Center(might run the Nanny for fun, its been years).

What do you recommend for us? We'd like a long easy ride for one day. A day of pure scenery(thinking Dupont), and a day of pure hell with both of us walking alot, but having fun anyway!

Thanks,

MC
you can single speed any of the trails in pisgah, dupont, etc. that's all i ride there mostly with gearies and have a blast doing so. picking the trails mostly depends on how long you want to ride??

for a nice, scenic long route from brevard try heading up either avery creek or black mountain trail and if you take avery take the fr over to black mountain, hike a bike then descend a bit then smack a left on turkey pen trail. if going up black(better choice imo) then just smack a right on turkey pen...go all the way across turkey pen. go down south mills and ride it all the way across or for more hills head up into the squirrel gap/horse cove area and come back to south mills then head up buckhorn gap from s. mills and descend either black mountain or ride over to avery(kinda rough due to overgrowth but definitely doable) and go down that to return to the car. that'll keep you busy for a good chunk of the day and you'll see many beautiful areas! there are so many options to add or subtract to this...just check a map. you can even tie laurel mountain into this and go down pilot rock if you head north from the turkey pen gap parking lot up a fr then to laural trail head...that would be a hell ride if thats what you are looking for. a local took me on all of the above and it took us all day and was extremely challenging:)

did the above(not laurel) last friday on my SS and had a blast!

another option thats easier and shorter would be ride up laurel mountain(trail head is maybe 30 to 45min from brevard mainly due to slow driving roads) then bomb down pilot rock and for an extra loop with a rewarding view do pilot cove/slate rock inside off the road that pilot rock puts you on. laurel is absolutely beautiful!

have fun!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...

what gear did you run?

MC

Spookykinkajou said:
you can single speed any of the trails in pisgah, dupont, etc. that's all i ride there mostly with gearies and have a blast doing so. picking the trails mostly depends on how long you want to ride??

for a nice, scenic long route from brevard try heading up either avery creek or black mountain trail and if you take avery take the fr over to black mountain, hike a bike then descend a bit then smack a left on turkey pen trail. if going up black(better choice imo) then just smack a right on turkey pen...go all the way across turkey pen. go down south mills and ride it all the way across or for more hills head up into the squirrel gap/horse cove area and come back to south mills then head up buckhorn gap from s. mills and descend either black mountain or ride over to avery(kinda rough due to overgrowth but definitely doable) and go down that to return to the car. that'll keep you busy for a good chunk of the day and you'll see many beautiful areas! there are so many options to add or subtract to this...just check a map. you can even tie laurel mountain into this and go down pilot rock if you head north from the turkey pen gap parking lot up a fr then to laural trail head...that would be a hell ride if thats what you are looking for. a local took me on all of the above and it took us all day and was extremely challenging:)

did the above(not laurel) last friday on my SS and had a blast!

another option thats easier and shorter would be ride up laurel mountain(trail head is maybe 30 to 45min from brevard mainly due to slow driving roads) then bomb down pilot rock and for an extra loop with a rewarding view do pilot cove/slate rock inside off the road that pilot rock puts you on. laurel is absolutely beautiful!

have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.