Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everybody!

Been lurking for a while now, just thought I'd jump in and say hi.

I know there's a few Cumberland area riders around here, but haven't seen many posts about riding here in the area.

I'm a relative noob, as I haven't really turned a pedal in anger since about 16....man, long time ago!

Anyway, I've been riding the Gap almost daily lately, as directed by the guys at CTC. Last week was extremely sloppy, and really, not a good way to get back into the swing (or stroke...zing!) of things. Ran to the homesite yesterday, not sure I'm ready for that climb yet!

Question: At the homesite...do you guys drop in straight down the mountain? Seems virtually impossible this time of year with all the wet leaves.

Anyway...rode the loop today, and found alot of the "locals" stuff. The ground being frozen made life quite a bit easier. Only issues I really had were the wet leaves (spinning up) and the frozen ruts.

All in all, I'm loving it! Just wanted to stop in and say hi. Hope to meet some of you guys soon!

Cheers,

Lee

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm from Frederick- not technically Western MD, which I don't consider being until you're at least at Hagerstown. Anyway, I was going to try and ride Greenridge this spring, and am interested in other rides in the area. By the "gap" do you mean Rocky Gap State Park? I haven't heard anything about riding there, but would be interested in that too since it's close to Green Ridge.

Glad to hear you're having fun getting back into it. I'm kind of in the same boat. Started it for exercise, and just as something to do, then it turned into "hey this is good exercise, and pretty cool too!"

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
From Hagerstown a few years ago and I mostly rode greenridge and Micheax in PA. I now live in Western PA not far north of the MD border. So I'd like to know where to ride in Western MD. It seems like a pretty undeveloped area and there should be lots of good riding, but thus far, I haven't been able to find anything other than some DH at Wisp. Anyone know any places?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey guys...born in Frederick, raised in Hagerstown :)

Yeah, Rocky Gap. Coming out 68, you'll actually pass the entrance to Green Ridge about 10 mins before Rocky Gap. GR is enormous, but from what I understand there's only a single MTB trail of about 12 miles. I actually want to explore it myself

I know there's quite a few trail systems throughout the Savage River State Park, but I'm not really familiar with them. I also keep hearing talk of riding out in Accident, about 8 miles northeast of Deep Creek Lake, but I haven't a clue where any trails would be in that little town.

Obviously, there's DH at the Wisp, and 7 Springs.

There's a new "uber" spot opening at Raystown by the IMBA, as I understand. Saw a link to some guys that got to pre-ride it.

Oh, also the C&O Canal and Alleghany Highland Trail/Great Alleghany Passage.

And then, down south you've got the gazillion trails in the in the Canaan area.

Damn...it sounds like alot when listed like that!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I go to college at Frostburg State University and I live in Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C. suburb).

Yes Rocky Gap has trails.
Yes Green Ridge has only one 12 mile bike trail. But there are tons of fire roads and there is an off driving trail that me and my roommate drove his Jeep on a few times.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Steve...I just met a couple yesterday from Frostvegas riding at RG. I work there, too.

This morning I explored the "western" end of the park. Holy crap...there's some tough stuff hidden back in there.

I don't think this Hardrock is gonna cut it for very long at this rate....

·
Registered
62 Posts
rode rocky gap in a 6 hour in september and the trails up there are fun. not very rocky( i live in gambrill) but fun. the homesite climb is fun and challenging. i can make most of it but not the first steep parts( SS). the trail around the lake is fast and swoopy. the settlers path and rocky ridge(i think thats what it is called) are both fun and some good climbs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've gotta say I'm pretty impressed by what I've found so far up there. I figured the Lakeside Loop would be pretty boring, you know, being the stock trail for the resort rentals and whatnot. I've found it can be pretty challenging, or maybe it's just the seasonal conditions I've ridden it in.

Not sure what the Settlers Path and Rocky Ridge are, unless that's what I found the other day. That **** was gnarly. But then again, I suck.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got back from running the loop. Good thing I didn't ride...it's a solid sheet of jagged, muddy, slippery ice.

I realize now that I know the trails you just mentioned. Haven't explored them yet though.

Also realized that I've ridden right past the beginning of the Homesite climb at least 10 times and never knew it. lol

·
Bicycle rider
1,055 Posts
steveo555 said:
I go to college at Frostburg State University and I live in Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C. suburb).

Yes Rocky Gap has trails.
Yes Green Ridge has only one 12 mile bike trail. But there are tons of fire roads and there is an off driving trail that me and my roommate drove his Jeep on a few times.
I went to Frostburg and graduated in 97. We used to ride the trails off the railroad tracks. Lots of fun old mining trails all around that area. I would love to get back out that way and ride. One of the trails we used to ride was called Coaster because it had lots of fast rolling hills you could get lots of air on. It was in an area that was an old coal mine. Do you know this trail?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ExigeS said:
I went to Frostburg and graduated in 97. We used to ride the trails off the railroad tracks. Lots of fun old mining trails all around that area. I would love to get back out that way and ride. One of the trails we used to ride was called Coaster because it had lots of fast rolling hills you could get lots of air on. It was in an area that was an old coal mine. Do you know this trail?
No, but I want to!

(I realize you were asking him)

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Chili and Capt. Phun both know those Accident trails, I believe. I seem to recall them saying it wasn't super-tech singletrack, but they used to ride CX bikes there. Chili hardly ever graces this forum with his presence anymore, but the Captain seems to still visit now and then. You could try to PM them, perhaps.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just hit Rocky Gap for bit....holy crap.

The ice that we got in the last 24 hours really took it's toll. There's downed trees littering the entire park.

As it warmed up a bit this afternoon and things started melting...the entire loop was a river. Seriously. Luckily with the frozen base underneath the water, it actually wasn't all that muddy.

The wind picked up quite a bit, and it literally rained big pieces of ice off the trees. I got hit a few times so hard that I might have to replace my helmet.

The scenery was absoeffinglutely stunning. I can't even begin to explain it.

I'll honestly probably avoid the place for the next few days. It'll be a mudpit.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.